Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I will not pay BT for their services

Options
  • 13-12-2008 5:29am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

I have had it with BT. Their setup time took over 2 months(they said it would only be 3 weeks when selling the service). I opted into their 'unlimited' service and have now had my connection 'throttled' due to supposed misuse. Their terms and conditions are a joke. They blatantly misrepresent themselves and their support team are a bunch of unhelpful, lying pricks. I have been assured callbacks on several occassions and never received them. When they 'throttled' my account I received no warning or notification. They have no actual data on their 'fair use policy' and I have received a myriad of conflicting reports from their support team.

I have been using their product for a very short period and for the past 7 days I have had to endure dial-up speeds. It seems that I may actually have to endure this for a full 30 days before my service is restored.

I am not in the habit of paying for services I do not receive and I have zero intention of settling my BT bill. They can stick it up their ****ing arse.

I was a Smart Telecom customer for 3 years and I never had any difficulties of this nature. I chose BT because they pitch their product in the guise of a service that can match that offered by Smart.

I know that there are many other people in a similar boat and I vote that we all boycott our bills and try to deter as many other people as possible from falling into BT's trap.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I say, good for you. People need to start sticking it to BT for their shoddy support, and 100% broken billing system. However, and this is important, you really should pay them for what you already owe. By all means, do stop paying for future lack of service, but pay for what you have already used, if it was usable. If they're not providing a service, then you shouldn't have to pay for it.

If you decide to end the contract early, be prepared for the debt collectors because BT will use them. Also, make sure to cancel the direct debit, in writing to the bank, if you have one set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

lazlo wrote: »
    I have had it with BT. Their setup time took over 2 months(they said it would only be 3 weeks when selling the service). I opted into their 'unlimited' service and have now had my connection 'throttled' due to supposed misuse. Their terms and conditions are a joke. They blatantly misrepresent themselves and their support team are a bunch of unhelpful, lying pricks. I have been assured callbacks on several occassions and never received them. When they 'throttled' my account I received no warning or notification. They have no actual data on their 'fair use policy' and I have received a myriad of conflicting reports from their support team.

I have been using their product for a very short period and for the past 7 days I have had to endure dial-up speeds. It seems that I may actually have to endure this for a full 30 days before my service is restored.

I am not in the habit of paying for services I do not receive and I have zero intention of settling my BT bill. They can stick it up their ****ing arse.

I was a Smart Telecom customer for 3 years and I never had any difficulties of this nature. I chose BT because they pitch their product in the guise of a service that can match that offered by Smart.

I know that there are many other people in a similar boat and I vote that we all boycott our bills and try to deter as many other people as possible from falling into BT's trap.

You're right don't give them a penny. I was looking for info off them on their Fair Usage Policy and about a month after i e-mailed them i got the vaguest reply they can give. No thanks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

No such thing as a unlimited ISP, as explained here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58094826&postcount=11

Good luck with your plans, as mentioned in the above linked post some ISP's are better at outlining there FUP's and its upto the consumer to read and research before subscribing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

I am thinking of adopting a business line with BT in lieu of my current service. Are business lines also subject to FUPs?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

lazlo wrote: »
    I am thinking of adopting a business line with BT in lieu of my current service. Are business lines also subject to FUPs?

Had BT Business line for 18 months, previous to this used a shared line that was maxed 24/7 365 for about two years BT never complained about how people used the line.

You get what you pay for in fairness,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Ranting on here is not going to get you anywhere and simply not paying a company is going to get you into trouble - trouble which in the eyes of any third party you will not have any defence for.

If you wish to take a stand against BT (or any company for that matter) the last thing you want to do is not pay them. They will see no difference between you and someone doing a runner.

Document your issues with them clearly and with as much information as possible. Send these by registered letter (believe me it will be worth the money) to the Chief Executive and of course keep your own copy. Then you begin to have a case as it is up to BT to respond to the issues you have raised. Undocumented conversations with support people have no standing (apart from driving you mad)

And as advised above pay them for the service up to the time you begin your formal dispute with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

dub45 wrote: »
    Ranting on here is not going to get you anywhere and simply not paying a company is going to get you into trouble - trouble which in the eyes of any third party you will not have any defence for.

If you wish to take a stand against BT (or any company for that matter) the last thing you want to do is not pay them. They will see no difference between you and someone doing a runner.

Document your issues with them clearly and with as much information as possible. Send these by registered letter (believe me it will be worth the money) to the Chief Executive and of course keep your own copy. Then you begin to have a case as it is up to BT to respond to the issues you have raised. Undocumented conversations with support people have no standing (apart from driving you mad)

And as advised above pay them for the service up to the time you begin your formal dispute with them.

I am not that naieve. I have lodged an official complaint and I shall publish its full details once they have dealt with it. In the interim I think it is important for us all to try and strive for better service by sharing the details of our experiences and how we plan to go about improving the situation.

And of course I will pay them for services received. I won't pay them for services I do not receive.

Advertisement