Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blu Ray burners

• 13-12-2008 7:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Do any of you guys use or know anything about blu ray burners and what to buy?

I am considering burning my HD movies to blu ray, and the burner must also be compatible with a MBP.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

I dont know much about them but havent got the requirement for one.
    Why do you need to burn to BluRay anyway? Are you sure you need to?
    Are the 'HD' movies you have actually going to benefit from burning to blu ray?
    What res are the movies in question? Just a thought. Might save yourself a few quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

the best value is on overclockers.co.uk. from 120 pounds. the're 400 on komplett.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

You'd need an external for a Mac Book Pro...

Can you burn at the required bit rate over USB?

Blank discs are still pretty expensive too... Don't think I'll be backing up on to them for another while yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Thanks for the comments guys.

I will be filming a lot of stuff next year using a PMW-EX1 so it will all be full HD.

I was considering a Blu-ray for back up and as an output option to for the finished films.

I shall do a bit more digging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

at the moment the cheapest media is 5 for 55 pounds.

this is very expensive when you can get an iomeaga high def, hard drive 1TB player for about 200 euro. check this out. you could keep and play all your hd films on the tv with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

TommyGun wrote: »
    at the moment the cheapest media is 5 for 55 pounds.

this is very expensive when you can get an iomeaga high def, hard drive 1TB player for about 200 euro. check this out. you could keep and play all your hd films on the tv with this.

Yeah, I had thought about a drive for back up (and I will probably need a decent size one to store all rough shots until final edit is done) but I think I still need a high quality option for sending out finished projects to tv execs & production companies.

I'm just fishing for options now anyway.

cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Im pretty sure that you don't have to use Blu-Ray to get HD. You can burn HD content to a normal DVD 4.3 or DVD 9 disk, the only caveat is (obviously) you cannot fit as much on the disk timewise.
    IIRC you can create Hybrid DVD disks too, part "normal DVD" and part HD . All depends on how much footage you need to cram on a disk.

Heres a guide on how to convert HDV to Blu-Ray "CODEC" and burn to DVD. 20mins on a single layer DVD: http://forum.videohelp.com/topic346069.html

Advertisement