Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

how long does tractor diesel stay in van for?

Options
  • 13-12-2008 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

how long does tractor diesel remain traceable in a van for? A friend of mine ran out of diesel yesterday and a farmer gave him diesel to get to petrol station.How long will that stay in system for? and what happens if he gets caught?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

It stays in the system for up to 6 months. The customs can swab the exaust and/or dip the tank.
    You get a fine of over €1000. First offence. Second offence they can take the car/jeep/van off you and you have to pay any back tax or whatever is owed on the vehicle.
    Seems like a stupid idea now doesn't it?
    Depends where you are in the country too for the regularity of customs checks.
    Seroiusly though, fill up the tank to the gunnells, leave it go to the light comes on and fill it up again to the brim. That should wash it out..
    You should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

cashmni1 wrote: »
    It stays in the system for up to 6 months. The customs can swab the exaust and/or dip the tank.
    You get a fine of over €1000. First offence. Second offence they can take the car/jeep/van off you and you have to pay any back tax or whatever is owed on the vehicle.
    Seroiusly though, fill up the tank to the gunnells, leave it go to the light comes on and fill it up again to the brim. That should wash it out..
    You should be ok.

Ahh jaysus dont listen to him, it'll be fine, one or two runs and theres wont be enough to dip for green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

no need to fill the tank to the brim, 10 euros of normal diesel should be enough to run through it, do that a couple of times and it should be flushed through
    if you fill the tank then it will take alot longer to flush out as the agri diesel is mixing with a full tank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Jokesetal

Jack Frosty is right. Small volumes repeated will be better than larger volumes less frequently. There's a handy equation to work it out, based on extraction theory believe it or not!;)
    Mind you, I've heard this excuse used more than once before, but how often has anyone been checked? I've seen one checkpoint in the last ten years (>200,000 miles) off driving. Only really happens around cattle marts anyways...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

cashmni1 wrote: »
    You should be ok.

I bought 2500 ltrs of green (tractor) & 1500ltrs white yesterday both delivered on the same truck , the driver flushed the delivery hose into the green tank until the diesel ran clear & then filled the white tank

OP

if you let the tank really low & them fill to the brim with white it should hardly be noticeable, it would be most certain gone on the second top up

PS I very rarely buy white diesel in bulk but decided at the present prices to stock up (green 47.5 white 95.5 c/l including vat delivered).

The oil company reckons it will get a jump in January, we will continue to buy at the pumps for now 99.9 locally & will use our own stock if the price increases.

I

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Elephant Monkey

Knowing Sweet FA about the difference apart from the illegal bit!

Gonna sound stupid to ya but is there any difference apart from the colour?
    If not why is there a different colour diesel for agri and reg diesel motors and the Humongous price difference?

Can we not all pay the same?

I have seen about 3 dipping checks on my way up and down to cork, in the space of 9mths.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Gonna sound stupid to ya but is there any difference apart from the colour?
    Just the colour (it's a dye added to the agri diesel so they know it's agri diesel). It's red up north and green down here.
    If not why is there a different colour diesel for agri and reg diesel motors and the Humongous price difference?
    There may be more subtle reasona that I'm unaware of but essentially the tax is far lower on fuel used for agricultural vehicles and other vehicles that rarely use the roads (like cranes, boats etc), the rationale being that they rarely use the roads (or in the case of boats, never). So they colour it so that they can tell if you're being naughty by using this diesel in your road-going vehicle.

sceptre wrote: »
    There may be more subtle reasona that I'm unaware of but essentially the tax is far lower on fuel used for agricultural vehicles and other vehicles that rarely use the roads (like cranes, boats etc), the rationale being that they rarely use the roads (or in the case of boats, never). So they colour it so that they can tell if you're being naughty by using this diesel in your road-going vehicle.

My god i really didn't think it was that petty! So there actually is another form of road tax apart from that fancy round bit of paper they are getting more out of us! You would think that esp commercial vehicles that keep this country "delivered" would avail from this? (note I'm not a lorry driver of any kind, wouldnt trust myself driving in anything bigger that a house)

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

i am a truck driver and it would be heaven for haulage companys if they could use agri diesel legally, thing is if we could the greedy goverment would tax it more anyway1
    a taxi firm down this way got caught using it and was hit with fines close to 3k

JackFrosty wrote: »
    i am a truck driver and it would be heaven for haulage companys if they could use agri diesel legally, thing is if we could the greedy goverment would tax it more anyway1
    a taxi firm down this way got caught using it and was hit with fines close to 3k

Right block the roads :P

I jest . . . . . . . ;/

And that taxi company, i suppose they are hit with all sort of crazy taxes and charges (even by just pulling into the airport, thats right gov charge them for bringing people out of a building) Sure i don't blame them for giving the diesel thing a blast, the only thing i blame them for is not turning off there roof signs when they have a fare! (who else would I blame for that?) (note i'm not a taxi either)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

JackFrosty wrote: »

did they use two tanks or anything complicated like that or just pour the green into the normal tank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Having a hidden tank is tax fraud and a lot more serious than gettin caught with green.

/cue some numpty coming in saying green is smokier and will wreck your engine

Advertisement