Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Folks, (namely foxy or gary) - Can anyone tell me if the Docks is still as busy with leisure boats as it was earlier today? Are there many leisure boats tied up to the pontoons (Excluding RIB's (Rigid Inflatable Boats) as most of them are involved)

Anywhere from Inverin to the Docks seem to be great places to see the boats come in. Anyone watching from around Connemara?

Looks like the boats will be coming in south of the Aran Islands, and will stick to the shipping channel on their way in (middle of the bay, but more to the Galway side) - they'll only get close to the shore from Muttan Island in tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    The VOR website is estimating approx 1am local. I'm going to drive down to the swamp at about 12.30, see what's going on.

Aye I was looking at that, but given how quickly it was changing, I wasnt sure as to its accuracy.

But based on my own calculations *puts on nerdy glasses*, using the 2d viewer and extrapolating the distance and speed (ericson about 37miles @ 21 knots), I estimate arrival at 1:25 - 1:35.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭elyod

The 2D viewer predicts that Ericsson 4 is going to crash into the Aran Islands, the Green Dragon seems to be heading towards Rossaveel, leaving PUMA to crusie to a victory :eek:

Krieg wrote: »
    Aye I was looking at that, but given how quickly it was changing, I wasnt sure as to its accuracy.

But based on my own calculations *puts on nerdy glasses*, using the 2d viewer and extrapolating the distance and speed (ericson about 37miles @ 21 knots), I estimate arrival at 1:25 - 1:35.

Dang, they're close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Krieg wrote: »

Yea was looking at the sums and starting to doubt the website. Plus their calculations are base on a speed on 20kts. Shannon is currently showing the wind at 3kts. Hopefully the wind doesn't die off too much in the bay or else it'll be a long night.

Don't forget that wind will die an awful lot (unless there's a strong westerly) when they get inside Galway Bay (basicly east of Aran) so their speed will slow down a lot once inside there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Folks, (namely foxy or gary) - Can anyone tell me if the Docks is still as busy with leisure boats as it was earlier today? Are there many leisure boats tied up to the pontoons (Excluding RIB's (Rigid Inflatable Boats) as most of them are involved)

Yep just as busy as earlier, didn't see much/any outward movement at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

This is exciting! I'm living very close to Mutton Island so I'm tempted to head to the causeway to see if I can see them come in. Don't suppose I'll see a thing in the dark though.

gary82 wrote: »
    Yep just as busy as earlier, didn't see much/any outward movement at all!

Thanks gary, was just wondering if there were lots of boats tied up.

Majority of those boats are not supposed to be there, they're supposed to be on the moorings off the docks - think it got a bit out of hand earlier, they came in, tied up and have no intention of moving I guess!

Thanks for the update

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

When will they be in Barna?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Only a handful of ribs by the pontoons now, they've even moored some of the safety boats elsewhere.

Leisure boats still aplenty and all are berthed by the quay walls.....very good order about the place it must be said, but then I guess it's bound to be quieter at night time anyway.

If they can't come into the docks then is there any point waiting to get a photo on pier at the end of the long walk? Anyone know if there'll be fireworks tonight?

I can see the picture in my head - fireworks in the sky... reflecting in the water and showing up the sail of the winning boat! I suppose nearly all sails will be down when in that close though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

The wind is definitely more than 3kts inside the bay anyway... its probably at least 10kts in the bay. Met.ie haven't updated yet so it must have picked up within the last hour.

The next position update will be in 15mins, should be an interesting one....

Only a handful of ribs by the pontoons now, they've even moored some of the safety boats elsewhere.

Leisure boats still aplenty and all are berthed by the quay walls.....very good order about the place it must be said, but then I guess it's bound to be quieter at night time anyway.
    Thanks. So basicly the pontoons are full? Thought Galway Harbour would have been stricter tbh as they had said sooo many times in writing that no leisure boats to be in the Harbour, only Marshal/VIP/Media etc. - oh well not to worry, tbh I wouldn't like to be stuck out on the moorings either
    If they can't come into the docks then is there any point waiting to get a photo on pier at the end of the long walk? Anyone know if there'll be fireworks tonight?

I can see the picture in my head - fireworks in the sky... reflecting in the water and showing up the sail of the winning boat! I suppose nearly all sails will be down when in that close though!
    I'd say they'll eave the gates open tonight regardless of tide so that the boats can just sail in, don't know about fireworks. I reckon if they set fireworks off as the boats arrived in you've have some biddie complaining about noise :rolleyes:

Are the teams going to be presented on stage when they arrive like it said in the event schedule, or will there be anyone awake to present them on stage?

elyod wrote: »
    Are the teams going to be presented on stage when they arrive like it said in the event schedule, or will there be anyone awake to present them on stage?

All those guy's are going to want to do is sleep when they get in, and arrivals will be staggered.

Isin't there an official opening ceremony tomorrow or something? They will of course be presented with something I reckon, but not tonight. These guys have just sailed from Boston, they need rest, a nice warm meal and a pint :D

All those guy's are going to want to do is sleep when they get in, and arrivals will be staggered.

Isin't there an official opening ceremony tomorrow or something? They will of course be presented with something I reckon, but not tonight. These guys have just sailed from Boston, they need rest, a nice warm meal and a pint :D

pfft. I'd prefer if they were shuffled on stage and made Irish dance for my entertainment :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I'd say they'll eave the gates open tonight regardless of tide so that the boats can just sail in, don't know about fireworks. I reckon if they set fireworks off as the boats arrived in you've have some biddie complaining about noise :rolleyes:

I'd say the fireworks are for tomorrow night's opening ceremony.
    Heading in to town shortly to see what the craic is - park the car in the gf's and bring a few tinnies down to watch the boats hopefully. Sorry John, no buckie! :D

• Advertisement

The latest update on volvooceanrace.org doesn't make much sense to me... :confused::confused:

chart.jpg

If you look at the times... surely Green dragon had dropped a load and Telefonica Blue are now in third? All data seems to be gone for Ericsson 4... shipwrecked on the Aran Islands? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Don't suppose there's anyone blogging this from the Aran Islands who could let us know when the boats pass??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭shreksaurus

Where can I get an events timetable. It wasn't in this weeks advertiser. And last weeks advertiser went missing on me. Hope I haven't missed Sharon Shannon. Can't believe the saw doctors aren't playing.

Thanks

Zzippy wrote: »
    I'd say the fireworks are for tomorrow night's opening ceremony.
    Heading in to town shortly to see what the craic is - park the car in the gf's and bring a few tinnies down to watch the boats hopefully. Sorry John, no buckie! :D
    Jaysis if ya brought a bottle of buckie you'd be doing hand-stands as they arrived in! Make sure to bring a camera! And update us with Boards mobile :pac:
    The latest update on volvooceanrace.org doesn't make much sense to me... :confused::confused:

If you look at the times... surely Green dragon had dropped a load and Telefonica Blue are now in third? All data seems to be gone for Ericsson 4... shipwrecked on the Aran Islands? :rolleyes:
    Leading boat has gone into 'stealth' mode ie. not advertising info
    elyod wrote: »
    pfft. I'd prefer if they were shuffled on stage and made Irish dance for my entertainment :pac:
    Could ya imagine it... and KD dancing in circles below :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Question for ya John. Why aren't the boats routing North of Inis Mor? The northern route looks like the quicker one.

All data seems to be gone for Ericsson 4... shipwrecked on the Aran Islands? :rolleyes:

I knew it!!

@shreksaurus

http://www.letsdoitgalway.com/events.php

Click on each day to see detailed info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

You were right John, boats are taking the south channel

Im now guessing that the first boat wont land until around 2am

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Don't suppose there's anyone blogging this from the Aran Islands who could let us know when the boats pass??

There's clear sky's but I think only 1% of the moon is showing so no light. They might not even see them passing.

The boats are accompanied by various support ships aren't they? Would all the boats be decked out with fancy lighting?

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Question for ya John. Why aren't the boats routing North of Inis Mor? The northern route looks like the quicker one.

That's a bloody good question which i'd love to know the answer to. Leave it with me, i'll get back to ya with an answer.

• Advertisement

Leading boat has gone into 'stealth' mode ie. not advertising info :eek:

I don't think so John... most of them were in stealth mode earlier when making an important turn <enter sailing lingo>, and there was a stealth mode symbol shown...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement