Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

JohnCleary wrote: »
    That's a bloody good question which i'd love to know the answer to. Leave it with me, i'll get back to ya with an answer.

It's to do with treasure, isn't it?

Of the point alltogether - 'letsdoitgalway.com'.....what a terrible, terrible name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

elyod wrote: »
    There's clear sky's but I think only 1% of the moon is showing so no light. They might not even see them passing.

The boats are accompanied by various support ships aren't they? Would all the boats be decked out with fancy lighting?

They are lighting bonfires for the boats as they pass. Or at least the should be. Hope they don't stay sipping pints in Joe Wattys and forget all about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

elyod wrote: »
    There's clear sky's but I think only 1% of the moon is showing so no light. They might not even see them passing.

The boats are accompanied by various support ships aren't they? Would all the boats be decked out with fancy lighting?

I only think they'll be accompanied from Muttan Island (ish) in - However if it was daylight I reckon there'd be a crowd of boats along-side

The boats will have 3 lights: Red (Port), White (mast), Green (Starboard) - other than that it's easier to navigate in total darkness... lights on deck only blind your vision. When we navigate at night we only use our nav lights (red white green) and only use deck lights when we're actually coming to a pier etc.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    It's to do with treasure, isn't it?

Of the point alltogether - 'letsdoitgalway.com'.....what a terrible, terrible name.

YARRRR!

I found out why they're going South of the Island.... THEY JUST ARRRRRRRR! :pac:

I'll get me coat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Jaysis if ya brought a bottle of buckie you'd be doing hand-stands as they arrived in! Make sure to bring a camera! And update us with Boards mobile :pac:

Boards mobile, what's that? :p No can do, don't use internet phone... anyway, you've got foxy for pics and updates!

gary82 wrote: »

Are they being that w4ankerish down there? I've to get my car down past Dun Aengus next week to load the floating device... i've a feeling that i'm going to have a bit of trouble doing so

YARRRR!

I found out why they're going South of the Island.... THEY JUST ARRRRRRRR!

I'll get me coat

2 week ban, surely.

YARRRR!

I found out why they're going South of the Island.... THEY JUST ARRRRRRRR! :pac:

Wouldn't it be class if there was pirates in Galway Bay. Would really ad an extra element to the race.

I'd guess they're going south of the Aran Islands so they'll have the SW winds behind them for the final sprint into port?

• Advertisement

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be class if there was pirates in Galway Bay. Would really ad an extra element to the race.

Damnit, LetsDoItGalway should have shipped in some Somali's for the occasion :pac:

I'd guess they're going south of the Aran Islands so they'll have the SW winds behind them for the final sprint into port?

Was thinking that but sailing boats actually go faster when they've a wind on their side rather than directly behind them.

Euro_Kraut wrote: »

Yea, there's no race at all. It's a ruse to get the scurvy dogs inside the city walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I know nothing about sailing, but that makes sense to me.

Can some mod delete Ronnie's comment. We've got away with it for this long... don't want to let the plan out of the bag when they're so close....

Can some mod delete Ronnie's comment. We've got away with it for this long... don't want to let the plan out of the bag when they're so close....

Gary82?

More like Gaaaaaaaaaaaary82.

Taxi for me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Yearr, ye can be findin' more infermation on yer Volvo boat lootin' activities here: pirate search

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭elyod

Is it me or are there far more flickering lights on the Clare Mts than usual. Some bonfires me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

So what's the best ETA guess now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

So what's the best ETA guess now?

The news ticker on volvooceanrace.org says the first boat is due around now but it probably a bit out of date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

If I was putting money down, id say 2:30

Just remember that winds will slacken off as they enter Galway Bay, so while they may have sprinted the last few miles, the 30 mile journey into the Dock will take a while.

Off to bed, foxy, gary and crew :p I hope to see loads of pics in the morning ;)

Wish I was in Galway, i'd be down the Docks with a few tinnies like Zzippy, i'd say there'd be a bit of craic down there

Krieg wrote: »
    If I was putting money down, id say 2:30

Are you talking about crossing the finish line? If so, i'm going to go for at least 3:30am

... Will be a while longer coming into docks... dropping sails etc...

i predict ericsson 4 has got badly damaged and is now out of it! :cool:

New position update: http://volvooceanrace.geovoile.com/

Its appears that in a cunning move Ericsson 4 have decided to head for Rossavael and come in on O'Neachtains bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭elyod

Erricson 4 ETA 03:05:51 GMT, seems wrong.

Down on the long walk now. Great crowd. Brrrr it's cold! Lots of lights on the bay, galleons mes thinks.

Wow! The first (hazy) picture of Ericsson 4 off the coast of the Aran Islands, bonfires in the background.

Ericsson%204-Aran_600x400.jpg

ETA is 01:00 GMT which is 02:00 Irish Summer Time.
    http://www.volvooceanrace.org/news/article/2009/May/LEG-SEVEN-FINISH/index.aspx

Its here!

• Advertisement

Yeah they bet the Pirates!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement