Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Fireworks just went off in South Park. Damn, wish I'd stayed in town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Saw the boats pass Barna. They were fast enough. It was a cold night but the bonefires made the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Damn yee feckers! Out enjoying the festivities...

I WANT UPDATES NOW!!! :D

Definitely going to get as far as Galway tomorrow to see what the craic is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Ericsson 4 landed in about 45mins ago! Big crowd to welcome it... award ceremony etc.! Apparently the VOR has never seen such a welcome!

GD or Puma expected about 4.15. Green Dragon should get a serious response!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I see all except one has landed. Pity all arrivals were so early in the morning. Looking forward to vids/pics of the arrivals

Btw, does anyone know what channel is doing coverage of the VOB?
    I cant remember if it was tv3 or setanta sport I watched the boston arrival/departure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Arghhhh so angry i'm missing this! Just listened to I-News, hundreds of boats out on the water and thousands of people on the shore, sounds epic. In fairness I expected it from the Irish :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Bummer, wish i went to town now, damn you red wine.:(

I know it's early in the day, but i'm bringing the kids in for a look now.:cool:

galwayrush wrote: »
    I know it's early in the day, but i'm bringing the kids in for a look now.:cool:

Bring a camera! :cool:

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Bring a camera! :cool:

Feck, almost forgot, cheers for the reminder.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

I'm going there this evening. It's sunday so probably some gigs are planned.

WooPeeA wrote: »
    I'm going there this evening. It's sunday so probably some gigs are planned.

Don't forget teh camera ;)

List of events was posted in this thread last night IIRC (It's about somewhere) - As far as I know there'll be *something* on every night so if you've nothin better for doing may aswell hang around for some free entertainment!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

In town till seven this morning, great crowd around, people in flying form, festivities, music and excellent atmosphere.

Bottle of buckie to keep warm. Seemed to be a big success

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

Where the fireworks let off last night near the claddagh?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Only out of bed now, what a night! Some craic in the crowd, all the crowds spilling out of nightclubs and late bars and down to the docks, as well as the thousands of others there before... while I'm not a fan of Keith Finnegan he did a decent job keeping the crowd interested, the boats are frickin amazing looking, and the flotilla of boats that came in with Green Dragon was class, all the crowd singing Ole Ole Ole and joining in with Galway Girl, the drummers over the stage, the whole lot was just brilliant! What an atmosphere, I'd say the boats don't get that welcome in every port...
    Right, quick shower and change of clothes and back in to take in the atmosphere and a few pints :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Zzippy wrote: »
    Only out of bed now, what a night! Some craic in the crowd, all the crowds spilling out of nightclubs and late bars and down to the docks, as well as the thousands of others there before... while I'm not a fan of Keith Finnegan he did a decent job keeping the crowd interested, the boats are frickin amazing looking, and the flotilla of boats that came in with Green Dragon was class, all the crowd singing Ole Ole Ole and joining in with Galway Girl, the drummers over the stage, the whole lot was just brilliant! What an atmosphere, I'd say the boats don't get that welcome in every port...
    Right, quick shower and change of clothes and back in to take in the atmosphere and a few pints :D

My thoughts exactly Zzippy. Just posted a load of photos on the pic/vid thread hopefully it'll show what a brilliant night it was!

BRING YER CAMERA!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

TG4 have a piece on it tonight, was working lastnight, some night!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

TG4 have a piece on it tonight, was working lastnight, some night!!!

Cool. Cén am?

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Remember to post any footage you might have of the festivity's!:D

• Advertisement

Just had a most enjoyable day there, well done to all involved, very impressive and a fantastic buzz about the place. Fantastic crowds.:cool:

galwayrush wrote: »
    Just had a most enjoyable day there, well done to all involved, very impressive and a fantastic buzz about the place. Fantastic crowds.:cool:

Now all ya gotta do is upload all the pics you took on the "Volvo Ocean Race Pics/Vids" thread :D:D:D

Good stuff!! sure the west is the best!

I really hope that this event gives Galway the kick in the arse it needs to build a proper marine infrastructure ie. marina

Been looking for that pics/vids thread, no joy.Typed in to the search tab, no results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

ultain wrote: »
    Been looking for that pics/vids thread, no joy.Typed in to the search tab, no results.
    It would be under the thread:
    Volvo Race Pics and Vids Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭citycentre

I have to say, absolute fair play and congratulations to all those involved in the organization and execution of this huge event. I can't quite believe how well it's all come together and how brilliant the atmosphere is down at the docks and around the town even before tonight's opening ceremony (which I've heard is going to be quite a spectacle). The buzz last night was just fantastic. Kila were excellent, getting the huge crowd well pumped up and with great sound for an outdoor gig. Then town was jammed - Quay St. was just like race week but with a much more chilled out vibe. And then the arrival of the boats was actually quite emotional (that might have been the fault of the pints!) but I just felt so proud to call Galway home with the massive crowd, all good-natured and just happy to be out enjoying something really special. the crews all seemed quite overwhelmed by the reception and It's bound to be a highlight of their entire race experience. Anyway, here's to a fantastic fortnight and hopefully the weather will play along!

And I agree - this has to be the catalyst to make Galway see the potential it has to become a proper destination for maritime tourism. A marina, an annual sailing festival and the development of the ground floors of buildings around the docks into bars, restaurants and cultural facilities will hopefully be the eventual legacy of the Volvo Ocean Race.

Now all ya gotta do is upload all the pics you took on the "Volvo Ocean Race Pics/Vids" thread :D:D:D
    sgthighway wrote: »
    It would be under the thread:
    Volvo Race Pics and Vids Thread
    thanks, busy few pages there, some great photos, the event was really well put together by the look of things, well done galway, well done Ireland.

BTH wrote: »
    I have to say, absolute fair play and congratulations to all those involved in the organization and execution of this huge event. I can't quite believe how well it's all come together and how brilliant the atmosphere is down at the docks and around the town even before tonight's opening ceremony (which I've heard is going to be quite a spectacle). The buzz last night was just fantastic. Kila were excellent, getting the huge crowd well pumped up and with great sound for an outdoor gig. Then town was jammed - Quay St. was just like race week but with a much more chilled out vibe. And then the arrival of the boats was actually quite emotional (that might have been the fault of the pints!) but I just felt so proud to call Galway home with the massive crowd, all good-natured and just happy to be out enjoying something really special. the crews all seemed quite overwhelmed by the reception and It's bound to be a highlight of their entire race experience. Anyway, here's to a fantastic fortnight and hopefully the weather will play along!

And I agree - this has to be the catalyst to make Galway see the potential it has to become a proper destination for maritime tourism. A marina, an annual sailing festival and the development of the ground floors of buildings around the docks into bars, restaurants and cultural facilities will hopefully be the eventual legacy of the Volvo Ocean Race.
    well said!

• Advertisement

I really hope that this event gives Galway the kick in the arse it needs to build a proper marine infrastructure ie. marina

Indeed. look how good the place looked as a Marina. Incredible.:cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement