Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Ah god please not mundy. Thought tonight was a bit mellow. Could've been considerably more lively and partyish IMO. Had myself a nice HB brunch tho at 11pm. Noice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I thought the atmosphere was a bit crap tonght too. Weekend should be fun though. Got a snap of the fancy new Garda van! Will try to remember to post it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

cornbb wrote: »
    I thought the atmosphere was a bit crap tonght too. Weekend should be fun though. Got a snap of the fancy new Garda van! Will try to remember to post it tomorrow.

Is that the one with big extendable pole and what looks like a camera on top? Saw that, looked pretty hi-tech, not like the guards at all at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Gadfly

Does anyone know the time of the in-port race on the bay tomorrow is? I can't seem to get the times on-line.

I didn't want to open a new thread, so I posted here instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Gadfly wrote: »
    Does anyone know the time of the in-port race on the bay tomorrow is? I can't seem to get the times on-line.

I didn't want to open a new thread, so I posted here instead.

Also, will they be racing out in the bay in front of salthill?

EDIT: Actually, here is the info.

http://volvoocean.vo.llnwd.net/o29/u/downloads/0809/schedule/galway/in-port_race_spectator_flyer.pdf

• Advertisement

Just drove through salthill, the place is getting busy already, a lot of activity out in the bay. The place will be manic tomorrow! Zzippy: yep, that's the one. It does look a bit too hightec for the guards alright! I reckon its just a big hollow plywood mockup put there to dissuade people from drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Kevin11

Lads I posted this on another thread. If true makes a mess of viewing the race..

Just got this mail. Originated from Senior engineer in city council

For general information:

• The Red Arrows display will now happen at 11:30 am tomorrow morning, as opposed to the advertised time of 12 noon.
    • The inshore racing will now happen further west in the bay due to wind conditions. The best views will be from Silver Strand and Barna, not Salthill.
    • Racing will commence at 1 pm and finish at 3:30 pm.
    • The boats will re enter the docks at 7:15 pm, when the dock gates open.
    Enjoy the day!

regards

Major Emergency Planning
    Senior Executive Engineer

Viewing the boat race was never going to be up close either way. I was at silverstrand and saw the boats, there was a better view than there would be from salthill but they were still pretty far offshore. I'd say a lot of people will come to salthill for the airshow and head home earlyish once they realise that the boat racing won't make excellent viewing

• Registered Users Posts: 31,883 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Ah god please not mundy. Thought tonight was a bit mellow. Could've been considerably more lively and partyish IMO. Had myself a nice HB brunch tho at 11pm. Noice.
    cornbb wrote: »

I didn't get in to see the HHF but I don't feel so bad now that it wasn't brilliant.
    Anyone go to the Corona's? Did ye check out the support band?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

U2 on the Late Late so they're in the country :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Hennybug wrote: »
    U2 on the Late Late so they're in the country :)

Of course they are, sure aren't they suppost to be the surprise act appearing at the VOC.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

galwayrush wrote: »
    Of course they are, sure aren't they suppost to be the surprise act appearing at the VOC.:D

That's what I meant - too much subtlety :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It would appear that they are going to use option 2 in the link below

http://volvoocean.vo.llnwd.net/o29/u/downloads/0809/schedule/galway/in-port_race_spectator_flyer.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

For anyone who was hoping to see the racing from shore, well I'm afraid you'll see feck all. We were out on the bay yesterday and due to wind conditions the race course has to be set a long way offshore, you'd nearly see it better from Clare!
    Got loads of pics but no time to go through them, will upload in a few days when I get time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Gadfly

Also, will they be racing out in the bay in front of salthill?

EDIT: Actually, here is the info.

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

convinced its sharon shannon, mundy and the saw docs down ere tonight, judging by the soudn check on now...........n17!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭JTC83

foxy_19-89 wrote: »
    convinced its sharon shannon, mundy and the saw docs down ere tonight, judging by the soudn check on now...........n17!!:D

Yeah, it was just on Galway Bay FM that it's most likely gonna be the Saw Doctors

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

If it's the Docs I would recommend going to see, whether or not you like the musical 'genre' they know how to get the party going. Irish country punk to the core.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

What a fuppin day, i'm so proud of galway!

Wow, i still cannot gather my thoughts on yesterday, from the buzz of the crowd to the spectacular Red Arrows display right through to watching the boats re-enter the harbor and again, the fantastic athmosphere of the entire area from the docks up to the Square. Outstanding day. I have never experienced anything like it from all the places i've visited. I feel very proud to be a Galwegian this will have an everlasting legacy. I can't wait for the new docks to be built ant the old docks becoming a permanent high class Marina.:cool:
    Well done to everybody involved, look at how clean the place is, how well organised everything is. Top class effort. Anybody have any idea how many people were in town yesterday,( bar Pope's visit and that was out of town) i have never seen such a crowd here before and not a hint of trouble.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

There was an announcement made at Salthill that there were 65,000 people there.

galwaybabe wrote: »
    There was an announcement made at Salthill that there were 65,000 people there.

I reckon when added to how many were about in town and at the racing village, it'll probably be double that overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

galwayrush wrote: »
    Anybody have any idea how many people were in town yesterday,( bar Pope's visit and that was out of town) i have never seen such a crowd here before and not a hint of trouble.:cool:

Wut I do?

Wut I do?

You attracted a 300,000 strong crowd and performed a miracle of turning the rainwater into Buckfast.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

I'm generally not a big fan of these big sporting/cultural events...generally an excuse for boozing, with the Galway Races being the most obnoxious local example...but even cynical old me is impressed with this event.

Seems to be very well organised and there is a great atmosphere, friendly and relaxed. I live in Salthill and even the people parking around the residential areas are showing a bit of cop on and courtesy towards the residents, unlike when a match is on in Pearse stadium.:mad:

I'm off out again to soak up the sun and the sights, therapy for my cynicism.

I heard that the crowd was more like 100,000 at 11.30am for the Arrows. It felt as big as any previous Airshow crowd & proved the popularity of the Arrows - especially as the time had been moved foward.

So lets get lobbying for a return of the airshow !

Discodog wrote: »
    I heard that the crowd was more like 100,000 at 11.30am for the Arrows. It felt as big as any previous Airshow crowd & proved the popularity of the Arrows - especially as the time had been moved foward.

So lets get lobbying for a return of the airshow !

Yes looked as large if not larger , plus this time, it was packed right up to the docks. The GAAW rally against the Red Arrows looked silly as we passed, not too many people there, mainly bemused people passing through to the Spanish Arch.

The Airshow died because the Council would not back it. Lets use Saturday as a springboard to restart the campaign. It's election time so ask your canvassing councillor if they support funding the Airshow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭FeetMagic

Who was the surprise guest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

The Saw Doctors. They played Galway Girl and N17... think that was it, i was a tad drunk at the time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement