Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Security down there has stepped up bigtime today, and they're very arrogant. Took five time telling the guy that I live within his "no access" zone before he realised he had to let me in just an hour ago. And earlier I got asked what I was doing when having a chat outside my house! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

gary82 wrote: »
    Security down there has stepped up bigtime today, and they're very arrogant. Took five time telling the guy that I live within his "no access" zone before he realised he had to let me in just an hour ago. And earlier I got asked what I was doing when having a chat outside my house! :mad:

Ah so they have hired the usual Monkey Men Brigade, you'll have an interesting two weeks so.

So it looks like the weather is meant to be up in the 20's from Thursday of next week, if it happens then the crowds should be massive for the BH weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

They seem to have picked up pace overnight and will be arriving a bit earlier yet again... looks like Green Dragon might just come in on sunrise though - cameras at the ready!

Anyone know will there be a by-the-minute update option anywhere when they get closer? Or radio feed or something? As it is, the positions on the website only update every 3 hrs...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

skelliser wrote: »
    you cant get down there its all closed off:(
    its the ideal place but unless i know someone whos gonna let me sneak in its not gonna happen

regards your suggestion of nimmos:
    No man, i mean the quay at the end of the long walk, in front of dun aengus, facing nimmos pier, theres a old run down barge there iirc

sorry if im explaining myself poorly!! probably need a map to show ya where im on about
    this is the location im cosidering http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=galway+city&ie=UTF8&ll=53.268203,-9.049188&spn=0.00206,0.007752&t=h&z=18

Yeah I know where you're on about. Looks like it could be an option alright. That barge is well gone now btw. Could be an option alright. Another option is down by where Steyr took photos of the helicopter last week.

Follow the main road (ie. if you were going by car) down to Galway Bay Seafood. Take a left and cross over the bridge, then take a right. That'll get you fairly close to the channel and the sun will be behind(ish) you

Best of luck with the pics

gary82 wrote: »

Lovely, i'm gonna have great craic trying to get my car down past Dun Aengus next week when i've to load stuff onto the floating veichle (I won't call it what it is incase I get shot at) - Whats the story with driving down Dun Aengus though, surely they have to allow access to cars going to/from the car park?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

Not much going on there now anyway !! ........

http://www.galway.net/about/webcam/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭elyod

It's going to be clear and sunny for the arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Any sign of them yet and can anyone comment on the traffic around Salthill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

Any sign of them yet and can anyone comment on the traffic around Salthill?

You just said in the other race thread that there was no traffic , That was only two minutes ago !!

you cant get down there its all closed off:(
    its the ideal place but unless i know someone whos gonna let me sneak in its not gonna happen

regards your suggestion of nimmos:
    No man, i mean the quay at the end of the long walk, in front of dun aengus, facing nimmos pier, theres a old run down barge there iirc

sorry if im explaining myself poorly!! probably need a map to show ya where im on about
    this is the location im cosidering http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=galway+city&ie=UTF8&ll=53.268203,-9.049188&spn=0.00206,0.007752&t=h&z=18

http://www.galway.net/about/webcam/

Where "Camera 6" is where i'm on about, down in the corner beside the slipway. Oh, and if you're down that way you might get a pic of the slipway for me? I'd be interested to see in the progress of it, and the general area around there ;) Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

hang on a sec i think all your christmases have come at once!

i hope this is what ur on about, I took this photo on tuesday evening at 8pm, lads were
    busy finishing it of
    dscf4107.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Starting to clear, could be a reasonable day yet.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

In case anyone has not seen this. Click on data tables then scroll down to predicted arrival times updated every 3 hours. Remember if times are displayed as GMT you will need to add 1 hour as we are on ST

http://www.volvooceanrace.org/rdc/

Big boats, 20 knots, pitch black, no moon, spectator boats (no lights), rocks, lobster pots. I might lie in bed & wait for the bang !

we are gmt
    whats st?! summer time? dont think that affects it, the times displayed are gmt

skel - thanks a lot man, brilliant! :cool:
    Discodog wrote: »
    Big boats, 20 knots, pitch black, no moon, spectator boats (no lights), rocks, lobster pots. I might lie in bed & wait for the bang !

Big boats - Ships come into the docks all the time no problem
    Pitch black & no moon - again, often been done
    Spectator boats - Hopefully any boats that are out at night will 1) have Nav lights 2) a Radar reflector 3) keep out of the channel 4) will keep an eye out for other boats
    Rocks - There's rocks everywhere, shouldn't be a problem
    Lobster pots - No lobster pots in the main channel which is where the yachts will be navigating

we are gmt

If you look here

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/

It shows GMT as 12:47

Where as local time is 13:47

Predicted time for first boat 3.04 GMT = 4.04 Local BST

Please check that I am right as one hour could make a lot of difference re daylight

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

we are gmt

We are only GMT for half of the year.
    When we put the clocks forward one hour for the summer we move into IST (Irish Standard Time), which is GMT+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

maki wrote: »
    We are only GMT for half of the year.
    When we put the clocks forward one hour for the summer we move into IST (Irish Standard Time), which is GMT+1

spot on,thanks - i hadnt taken that into account either--IST = Irish Summer Time

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

UTC+1

So on latest prediction 1st boat across the line at 4.04am with first light at 4.37 & sunrise at 5.24. We need the wind to drop a little !

• Advertisement

oh right, i get ya now

Blimey first boat now scheduled for 2.09 local time ! Big change in 4 mins !

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cybrandian

will the sailors be drinking in the pubs?

quick question, i dont have a filter for my camera, do ye think il need one and any recomendations?

new arrival time ~2am, not good for a photo op!

They update every 3 hours so something pretty dramatic must of happened for the arrival time to change by 2 hours. Is there a hurricane due that we don't know about ?

Also after the first boat there is a 1 hour gap & then they appear pretty close.

quick question, i dont have a filter for my camera, do ye think il need one and any recomendations?

A polarizing filter would have been handy to cut glare on the water in your shots.Its not really essential though and they only work really well when the sun is at a right angle to you.
    Shoot raw so you have more play in PP.
    Id be more inclined to pick up a Tripod if your shooting at night.

was thinking of a polarized filter, my main concern tho is overexposure, the sunrise in galway is difficult enough to watch with the naked eye as it is!!

my main concern tho is overexposure, the sunrise in galway is difficult enough to watch with the naked eye as it is!!

Use your histogram and bobs your uncle, most slrs have the blinking highlights warning too.If your shooting manual then just adjust your aperture/shutter speed if its one of the automatic setting use your exposure compensation.If your shooting in RAW you have some play to recover blown highlights.

• Advertisement

thanks for the advice, still a bit of a novice when it comes to aperture and shutter setting, this is my first slr, had bridge camera for years.
    its not looking good for a sunrise arrival tho...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement