Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The race data centre here:

http://www.volvooceanrace.org/rdc/

Select tables then scroll down - if you hold your cursor over any heading it gives a good explanation. Masses of info like speeds, wave heights, weather etc

22 knots in 4 metre waves !

Winds set to increase to force 5 to 7 this evening so arrival time might shorten.

Will give a last usuable update about 00:15 tomorrow which should give a pretty accurate arrival time. At the moment the boats are flying along.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

cybrandian wrote: »
    will the sailors be drinking in the pubs?

Think they'll be more interested in repairing their boats and getting some well earned rest than drinking

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

When are the Red Arrows performing?

JC Do you have a marine band radio ?. I am wondering what frequency they will be using.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

I'm from Galway and can honestly say that I have no interest in this race.

Anyone else in the same boat so to speak?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭elyod

I'm not from Galway, in come from an inland county. The only boat I've ever been on is my uncles boat on a river.

But I'm very interested, especially the last few days. I've been checking the volvo site, the 2D race viewer, reading about the teams involved, and am contemplating pulling an all nighter to try and get some panoramic pics with the boats in the bay.

I think the Guards were expecting lots of people today. They have the motor way up in Ballybrit / Briarhil split in two, with one lane specifically for people going to the Race course for the park and ride.

Not a single car in that lane. Maybe it will pick up later this evening or tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I've no interest in it either HM..

There are loads of traffic cops wandering around on their motorbikes, with nothing to do - there isn't that much traffic around, it's very very quiet compared to a normal saturday afternoon.
    Anyone around the spanish arch, check out the comic theathre there

Times are getting shorter now estimated at 1:46.

These are times to cross finish line at Mutton island

Red Dragon up to second & less than a mile between second & third.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

When are the Red Arrows performing?
    NEXT Saturday (bank hol weekend) 12noon
    Discodog wrote: »
    JC Do you have a marine band radio ?. I am wondering what frequency they will be using.
    Yeah have a VHF but we work on channels. Channels 16, 67 are two channels that there'll be lots of activity on - Google what frequency they are and you can listen on a conventional scanner (If it does that range obviously)

• Advertisement

I would expect traffic on 16 as that is usual call up frequency but 67 is supposed to be the secondary emergency channel !.

Here out west we have our torpedo ready for Erisson 4 to ensure a Green Dragon victory.

I hope they get a message to put on all lights as their are going to be a lot of people staring into darkness.

When are these welcoming bonfires going to be alight?

Depends on where they get their info & which boat they welcome !

The Galway Advertiser are expecting 70 boats - I hope that someone has warned the Harbour Master !

Light bonfires to welcome Volvo Ocean Race to Galway
    GALWAY ADVERTISER, MARCH 26, 2009.
    By Kernan Andrews

Coastal communities in Galway and Clare are being called on to light bonfires to greet the fleet of 70 yachts that will sail into Galway Bay as part of the Volvo Ocean Race.

Let’s Do It Galway are inviting coastal communities to light bonfires as part of the welcome celebrations for the race. Arriving from May 22 to 24, at the end of the Boston - Galway leg, the yachts will sail into Galway Bay around the Aran Islands and into the Galway Docks where they will be greeted by fans and supporters.

Communities interested in becoming involved in this project should contact Lisa Hallinan, Events Co-ordinator, Galway Volvo Ocean Race on 091 - 539995 or lisa@galway volvooceanrace.com

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

elyod wrote: »

Spiddal old pier and west of Barna pier as is usual on any dry saturday night except that the guards will leave them alone tonight :cool: Journalists are welcome as long as they bring bounteous peace offerings of Gold Francincense and Buckfast and Dutch Gold with them .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

So here's the current expected arrival times at the Mutton Island finishing line (in local time)
    1. Ericsson 4: 1.46am
    2. Puma Ocean Racing: 3.03am
    3. Green Dragon 3:12am
    Looks like Green Dragon is safe for a podium finish - hopefully they nudge back into second! Not much point heading out to the bay to take photos at that time - will still be dark. :(:(:(

Also the end of Nimmo's Pier is closed off - sign on the fence says "Pyro Live" - sounds to me like they're setting up a fireworks display - most obvious place to launch from too!!! Anyone know anything about this??
    JohnCleary wrote: »
    Whats the story with driving down Dun Aengus though, surely they have to allow access to cars going to/from the car park?

Yes they have a lane into the carpark but only access if you show your key fob or VOR pass (they started to issue these then decided to just run with showing your key fob).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

If you look on the VOR website now you'll see that Green Dragon are in second, leading Puma by 2 seconds!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I know they're position is much more important that that 2second advantage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

elyod wrote: »

I'm the fire-starter, twisted firestarter - doooooo nuuuuuu nu nu

Latest times 1st boat over the line at 00:56 It keeps getting earlier could be 00:30 at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

ya but they cant enter the docks until the tide comes in, low tide is at ~12

whats this about fireworkss?

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

We are in joint second out there, perfect conditions , easy wind at their backs, the harbour is rocking at the minute!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

I can hear some music from the docks now.. Something getting started I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Anyone down at the docks? Does it look like fun? I'm too lazy to actually walk to town and find out :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

VOR website has Green Dragon in third place, eight minutes behind the Puma boat.

Where will be the best place to watch the boats come in? Anyone know if the causeway out to Mutton Island will be open?

it closes in the evenings, if ya head to that beach behind nimmos pier should be a good spot, also the little pier at the end of the long walk will be a good place to watch them enter the docks

Can the boats come into the docks when they arrive or do they have to wait for high tide (6am)?

afaik theyl have to wait until the tide is in a good bit at least, but im not sure, talking to a guy in the now today(press office) and he said 6, they could enter at ~4 tho it all depends on the height inside the docks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Anywhere from Inverin to the Docks seem to be great places to see the boats come in. Anyone watching from around Connemara?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Anywhere from Inverin to the Docks seem to be great places to see the boats come in. Anyone watching from around Connemara?

Me and my bro were talking about heading out to connemara in the morning, but its hard to tell whether or not the boats will have all arrived by tomorrow morning.

Im debating about heading down to the docks or not. Wish there was some reliable source on when the first boat will arrive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Barna have a bonefire set up near my house for the boats :D T'will be good craic

• Advertisement

Krieg wrote: »
    Im debating about heading down to the docks or not. Wish there was some reliable source on when the first boat will arrive

The VOR website is estimating approx 1am local. I'm going to drive down to the swamp at about 12.30, see what's going on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement