Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Middlesbrough v Arsenal Match Thread

• 13-12-2008 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Well, this is an important game for Arsenal - in fact, every game is really an important game for them from now on this season.

KO 12:45 on Sky Sports 1.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Middlesbrough: Turnbull, McMahon, Riggott, Huth, Pogatetz, Johnson, Digard, Arca, Downing, Sanli, Aliadiere. Subs: Jones, Emnes, Alves, Shawky, Bates, Hines, Grounds.

Arsenal: Almunia, Sagna, Gallas, Djourou, Clichy, Denilson, Fabregas, Song Billong, Diaby, Van Persie, Adebayor. Subs: Fabianski, Vela, Ramsey, Silvestre, Wilshere, Bendtner, Eboue.

Good to have the 4 players back for Arsenal. Still a very poor midfield with very little width or creativity. Van Persie might have to drop back a good bit for any hope of creating something. Defence looks pretty strong though and decent options on the bench too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Yup. I have confidence in Arsenal and reckon this game will be ours for the taking. But you just don't know.

Boro's defence is very makeshift so we should be looking to get at them. Bypassing the midfield and letting Ade hassle them might be a good option.
    We certainly won't be getting Denilson and Diaby running down the line and crossing so Clichy and Sagna will also be important.

Anyway hopefully we'll get a decent performance. nice early goal and keep up a high tempo thoughout the game would be good for a change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

No Alves ! Dont get that.

Andy Gray reckons a side can only lose 27 points and realistically win the premiership. That means finishing with at least 87 points. Arsenal have already dropped 19 and only have 8 to play with until the end of the season. With Utd and Liverpool away, chelsea at home, liverpool at home also that is going to be a very big ask.

• Advertisement

Close for Van Persie. Arsenal are settling in now.

What was Diaby doing there? Should've passed to Ade.

GOAL!!!!! ADEBAYOOOR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,129 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Decent goal from a corner for us... makes a nice change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Ha, what is that celebration? Is that his new thing now?

Good goal. headed straight into the ground ! no marking

• Advertisement

And Adebayor definitely deserves that goal. After what happened with Diaby he set Diaby up there (shows good character) and failing Diaby's shot Ade scored heading the corner.

Good stuff, glad to see him score.

Beau x1 wrote: »
    And Adebayor definitely deserves that goal. After what happened with Diaby he set Diaby up there (shows good character) and failing Diaby's shot Ade scored heading the corner.

Good stuff, glad to see him score.

Goes to show the difference between having a decent striker and Bendtner can make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭DenMan

Brilliant headed goal by Ade. We need to score more of these goals. Early goal. Just what we needed. Awful defending by Huth it has to be said.

It's actually not even funny how much better Fabregas is than everyone else in the midefield

Lol I was just thinking that. He's having a good game today though. Oooh quick reaction from Diaby.

Oh god no. Boro score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Great finish.

Ugh. He we go again. Great cross and header though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Southgate already justified in not starting Alves over Aliadiere or Tuncay. Fabulous play by both for the goal.

Still think Arsenal will win this, playing some nice passing football and actually cutting through for the odd half chance. Only a matter of time before a striker is found goal side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭DenMan

Incroyable..... One of our own has to score against his old team. What were we doing in defense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,129 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Never a penalty... no contact made.. should've been booked for diving!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Our defending is pretty inept. In selecting all these great youngsters does Wenger not include the ability to tackle among his criteria?

Oooh! Comical miss by RVP.

Song's been awful. I don't think he's managed to pass to a teammate yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

All Arsenal need to do is give Adebayor the ball. Anytime he's given it, he makes thing happen.

Yeah its almost like him and Cesc don't trust the other eejits so they're just like, 'Here, this is what you should be doing' and trying to do it themselves. Diaby really should have played Ade in when he had the chance and then Diaby shoulda done better when Ade played him in

There should be a few more goals here. Good for the neutral!

Song is pure dross.

Almunia keeps the Arse in it with a superb save from Downing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

One of the things I've always liked about Arsenal is their Brazilian-like willingness to pass to players that are marked - knowing that they've still got the skill to play it. But today they're taking it a step further and playing too many hospital passes.

Great save by Almunia BTW!

• Advertisement

Arsenal starting to play with a little more conviction. I think it might be a little too late though.

Poor second half, 10 minutes to go and Arsenal don't look like scoring. Even Fabregas is playing poorly.

Oh jesus. Bendtner's coming on. What's the point?

The match was lost in midfield. Flamini should never have been allowed to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Curse of the Riverside strikes again, they have some record at home against the big boys.

Another inept performance. You'd have to think some of those players would struggle to get into the starting lineup for relegation fodder teams.

• Advertisement

Dreadful second half. Arsenal players didn't look like they gave a shit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Has Fabregas been pretty sh*t compared to his usual high standards for all of this season or only recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

eZe^ wrote: »
    Has Fabregas been pretty sh*t compared to his usual high standards for all of this season or only recently?

for all of this season really, apart from the sporadic bit of magic here and there. Since the start of the season it's looked like he's tired. I really think Wenger should have sent him on holiday imo, but he's too important for the team these days...

as for the rest of the game... bollocks to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

for all of this season really, apart from the sporadic bit of magic here and there. Since the start of the season it's looked like he's tired. I really think Wenger should have sent him on holiday imo, but he's too important for the team these days...

as for the rest of the game... bollocks to that.

Lets hope that Spain start to play **** imo.

Also he is missing a Flamini type player.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Also he is missing a Flamini type player.

i thought that at first, but at this stage his form seems to be going beyond that. true he's not getting as much freedom or space as along side Flamini, but even so, his passing and general play is way below what we could expect of him imo. it's like he's just not up for it.

• Advertisement

I thought Fabregas was excellent today in the first half. Second half not as good.

His performances have gotten much better recently since he's become captain imo. It's just that like I was saying earlier, he's basically playing in midfield on his own. I mean if he had more competent players like Roscky and Walcott at least to make runs and link up with it wouldn't be so bad. Nasri is good but he still needs more time to settle and cant seem to get a good run.
    Plus as said he misses someone like Flamini/Gilberto who can actually win the ball and make simple passes without giving it away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Jeez, I had completely forgotten about Rosicky! How long is out for?

March 'at the earliest'. Forget about him til next season, at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

And Walcott's out till when? Jeez, I never realised the extent of Arsenal's misfortune with injuries! (add this to the sales of Hleb, Flamini, the Gallas saga etc.)

And Walcott's out till when? Jeez, I never realised the extent of Arsenal's misfortune with injuries! (add this to the sales of Hleb, Flamini, the Gallas saga etc.)

indeed, it's something oft looked over in the media. they'll talk about Chelsea's injury woes til the cows come home, but barely give Arsenal but a mention.

still, no use dwelling on them as an excuse though. Arsenal should still have more points on that table than they do now.

Walcott will be out for another 2 months at least. late February at the earliest i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Hope we haven't put the final nail in your title ambitions because I would much prefer to see Arsenal win the title than Liverpool, Chelsea or United as I love the attractive football you play.

Think I'd prefer to see Aliadiere and Tuncay start for us in future instead of that waster Alves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

It says something about Arsenal's season when my feeling at the end was almost as much of relief than disappointment. Gone are the days when these teams were rolled over by four or five goals.
    For me the following players will never be good enough for Arsenal
    Song
    Denilson
    Bendtner
    Diaby

Denilson is solid but has no creativity or vision, Diaby is lumbering and awkward.
    I really hope Wenger takes some action in January. Although by then the Christmas schedule of matches could have effectively finished the season for Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

cashback wrote: »
    It says something about Arsenal's season when my feeling at the end was almost as much of relief than disappointment. Gone are the days when these teams were rolled over by four or five goals.
    For me the following players will never be good enough for Arsenal
    Song
    Denilson
    Bendtner
    Diaby

Denilson is solid but has no creativity or vision, Diaby is lumbering and awkward.
    I really hope Wenger takes some action in January. Although by then the Christmas schedule of matches could have effectively finished the season for Arsenal.

Diaby awkward??? Seriously, how often have you seen him play? For such a big player, he has very good ball control and barely loses the ball when it's at his feet! Out of those 4, I disagree with Diaby never being good enough the most! Playing him on the wing, does him no justice either, he's a central player and attack minded too!

We started yesterdays game with two central players playing on the wings, it's simply not good enough for a team to claim they have ambitions of winning the league!

I think Denilson will be awesome next season. I can already see him playing better tbh.

Advertisement