Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drivers license check ?

Options
  • 13-12-2008 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

I advertised a part time position which required a clean drivers license , & a fellow called last evening (foreign national no problem with that),

for some reason I thought there was something 'fishy' about his driver's license , told him i needed to scan a copy for insurance purposes if he got the job, at first he seemed a bit hesitant but then agreed

I have a copy, issuing authority is clare but his address is galway, the license was issued in 06 but looked very new.

where do i go to check this , gardai or local authority?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

snowman707 wrote: »
    I advertised a part time position which required a clean drivers license , & a fellow called last evening (foreign national no problem with that),

for some reason I thought there was something 'fishy' about his driver's license , told him i needed to scan a copy for insurance purposes if he got the job, at first he seemed a bit hesitant but then agreed

I have a copy, issuing authority is clare but his address is galway, the license was issued in 06 but looked very new.

where do i go to check this , gardai or local authority?

I'd call your local garda station initially to ask their opinion, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

To be fair, I'd be a bit hesitant about letting someone scan my license in case of identity theft. My last license was 10 years old but looked brand new because I kept it in a little protective case. Also my original issuing authority was in one place, but the address was in another county as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Due to the data protection act this may prove a hindrance.

The Gardai would probably be your first point of call and if they cannot help they will surely know where you can go and check. Im sure they have to check the legality of licenses every day of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The gardai can verify it
    If you've a rabobank account you might have to do this for yourself
    I don't know what they do exactly, they just took mine to the back office for a few minutes and came back and confirmed and signed it was genuine. Maybe they check the number against some database, I realy don't know??

My address is Tipperary but issued in Galway. And like Thoie it's as crisp and clean as the day it was issued. I've a special wallet for it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

He may have lived in Co Clare when the licence was first issued and then moved to Galway and subsequently had the licence reissued with the new address.
    snowman wrote:
    clean drivers license

(Apologies for going off topic but I always find it odd that many employers state the above in job advertisements but don't state the category. What happens if a prospective employee applies with a full clean category M or W licence?)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭figs86

I did my driving test in Athlone a couple of years ago because it had the shortest waiting list. And in my whole life I've spent about....24-30 hours in Athlone I'd say.

Could be any reason the Licence was issued somewhere else.

And, yes, they look pretty new all the time because they're laminated and kept in a plastic wallet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,324 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Where you do your test does not determine who issues your licence, surely?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

By the way, what's all this "Driver's License" stuff, anyway? In Ireland we have a "Driving Licence" ... we're not part of the USA ... yet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

figs86 wrote: »
    I did my driving test in Athlone a couple of years ago because it had the shortest waiting list. And in my whole life I've spent about....24-30 hours in Athlone I'd say.

Could be any reason the Licence was issued somewhere else.

And, yes, they look pretty new all the time because they're laminated and kept in a plastic wallet
    That dont matter, it depends on what tax office you apply for your licence.

Mine is laminated and is in bits! Keep it in my wallet...maybe thats why!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Thanks for replies

Wishbone ... I did state the categories required

changing times I reckon this post requires a 4.am start 3 mornings a week. last year I did not get 1 reply & had to cover my self, so far this year I have got 6 replies.

Alun; thanks for your input . another very informative & helpful reply from you. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK !

Advertisement