Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Girthiness'

Options
  • 13-12-2008 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭

My mare gets really cranky when I'm doing up her girth (initially). She's absolutely fine with me putting the saddle on her back and I've no other tacking up problems, but she really hates me doing up the girth.

She's not the kind to complain unless something is hurting her, so now I do it up really slowly. First hole, then pick out her feet, second hole, then put the bridle on. Third hole, go get my hat... if you know what I mean. And I also alternate sides. This helps the severity of her reaction, but she still reacts. Also its the initial tightening that she hates.

To be honest, I think if someone were standing at her head while her girth was done up roughly, they'd be at risk of getting a bad bite. :(

Any ideas? She's in a synthetic humane girth atm, but I've my eye on a leather anatomical girth with elastic at both ends.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

My pony is like this too, she will bite your arse if you do it too quickly. She also doesnt like when I brush her tummy.

Is she blowing out?

I had a pony who was like that, he would be blowing out when I was putting on the girth and hence you couldn't tighten it to hard otherwise he got narky.

He would be fine though once you started riding. I think it was just habit for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Bearing in mind I haven't been around horses in years, maybe this might help.

There was one horse I used ride regularly years and years ago who used try everything possible to avoid having the girth tightened. In general I'd loosely do the girth, then mount up, then tighten the girth while I was mounted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yeah I do think it has to be a certain tightness before you get up although I'm not a believer in overdoing girths either. If the saddle fits well it shouldnt slip anyway.

Its not really the final tightening thats the issue here, its putting it up the first few holes. Zaraba, she does blow out a little too. I'm a firm believer in horses generally having a reason for behaving in a certain way.

Still I reckon this may be something i'll have to put up with.

Sounds the same as my old pony then.

Its a bit weird as once you are up, he is happy for the girth to be tightened. It was just when the saddle went on he was getting annoyed.

• Advertisement

My mare used to hate the saddle going on. I know now it was because it was way too narrow on her and created pressure points on her back.

But she doesnt mind her current saddle at all. Hence why I'm wondering if I can do anything about this girthiness.

Is the girth a string girth? If it is, could it be pinching?

no its just a normal synthetic girth.

String girths are supposed to be great actually. I hadnt thought of getting one of them.

They have more give, I used to use one but then it snapped while riding once.

Went for a synthetic after that. Was an old girth though, prob shouldn't have been using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I've actually come across quite a few horses who do that, and they are all mares. Mares are always more sensitive than geldings, and have a much more tickly stomach, flanks, etc. As a result they can be really sensitive when the girth is being tightened.

My horse is like your mare at the moment; she gets really narky when tightening the girth, but is fine when doing everything else. I've taken to just loosely fastening the girth and then tightening it when I get up. She has no objection to that. It doesn't matter what girth I use, leather or synthetic, she still reacts the same, though I think the leather girth is a bit better as it is a little more flexible. I don't think the string girth is really an option, as I had one on a pony years ago, and despite being well-fitted and in good nick, it used to pinch him, so I've tended to stay away from then since.

Regarding what to do:
    I just tend to tie up the mare when I've fastening the girth (so as to avoid a potential nip) and just do up the holes gently and gradually. I also make sure to rub her belly and talk to her when I'm doing it. It has done some good.
    I really think slowly and gently, without making too much fuss of the situation (ie-treating everything as normal) is the best way forward. Hope this is of some help!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

I've a horse that is fairly narky aswell when it comes to girthing up. but i do the same as other have already said, just do it gradually, one hole at a time. I use a leather stud girth all the time now with elastic both ends and he's not as bad with it. What i do is buckle one hole on the off side and then one hole on the near side, then i stretch forward his front legs, one at a time obviously which eases any tightness the girth is causing when pulled up. Then i do up the 2 remaining holes one at a time and then stretch the front legs again, he usually doesnt mind the girth then at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭needadvice

Elasticated leather best imo and tie her up short thats what I'd do.

Yeah I always tie her up when tacking up these days. Its really for the best.

Btw I've heard very good things about the Stubben string girths. Apparently a lot of saddle fitters recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭skywards

I have a project pony who used to react violently to girths. She's now nearly fine with a string girth, though she does put up a bit of a fuss still. She no longer tries to take my face off, anyways. Definitely an improvement :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

My mare is the exact same with her girth, have gotten a few bad bites from her and everything, she absolutly hates the girth.

I usually use synthetic girths, as shes prone to girth galls if I use leather, and I use a girth sleve as well .. shes still the exact same.

So if I find another way of getting around this I'll let you know! I'm going to try different types!

Advertisement