Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio Nostalgia

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I remember the ABC name being ressurected around 1996 IIRC ? ABC power 104 which I think went on to become beat eventually ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

c - 13 wrote: »
    I remember the ABC name being ressurected around 1996 IIRC ? ABC power 104 which I think went on to become beat eventually ?

No it didn't, the people running ABC Power 104 (who were not the same owners as the original ABC although there were some of the same people involved) applied for the licence but lost out to Beat.

Oh, and I'm sure HS means 20 years, not 200!

A.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Saying that a few of the ABC folk are working on Beat now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

alinton wrote: »
    No it didn't, the people running ABC Power 104 (who were not the same owners as the original ABC although there were some of the same people involved) applied for the licence but lost out to Beat.

A.

Was there some crossover between staff between the two or something at least. I was full convinced there was some link between the two for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

200 years since the arrival of Waterford radio...where does the time go? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

There were some ex-ABC The Hot FM people involved in ABC Power 104, but is wasn't the same ownership.

Some ex-ABC people have now gone on to very good careers in radio, showing what a good start it was.

In fact, listening to that stream HS mentioned, that old station sounds better than some stations now, showing how good it was back then.

Good days!

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Bring back ABC it was 10 times better than any station around now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

ABC was always LOUD, I dunno what they were using by the last incarnation of the station but it felt like they had twice as much wattage as WLR/Suirside

Do you mean AM or FM? 'Loud' means we had the audio processing set right!

On FM there were 5 transmitters, one Waterford City, one north of Waterford, one Dungarvan, one Co. Wexford and onr Wexford town.

On AM there was the trusty old 1kW transmitter from Tramore on 1026kHz and a 100w tx in Wexford on 1116kHz.

All used Orban Optimod audio processing expertly set up by engineer Andy Ellis.

The AM transmitter was more powerful than WLR's or Suirside's, the FMs similar to WLR's but they only had two.

A.

FM I was thinking about, never listened to on MW.

Did you ever have a transmitter at Tory Hill?

• Advertisement

Yes, on 103.2.

That had a good coverage!

A.

Thought so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Bring back ABC it was 10 times better than any station around now!!

Well said shockwave...........Beat has never filled the gap left by ABC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

wellbutty wrote: »
    Well said shockwave...........Beat has never filled the gap left by ABC

The second licence should have been awarded to a totally independent competitor IMO.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Id assume maybe Beat is restricted to how it can perform, as apposed to the others who were doing it illegaly without any control at all. Would that have any affect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Cheerleader

<p>I worked on ABC for a few months back in 1984, what a great station.</p>
    <p>My memories are a bit different, the mobile home in Tramore was the studio site in those days.</p>
    <p>Turntables and nikko tape decks, and a citronic mixer.. still it was sounded better than Radio 2..</p>
    <p>The house in Tramore with the recording studio (reel to reel) in the garage and Tony murell blowing up Andy lintons cigerette lighters..</p>
    <p>How many DJs could you fit in one house?? </p>
    <p>hard to believe it all ended in 1988.. 20 Years ago</p>

It was lightyears ahead in terms of music, presentation and there is nothing like it today.

<p>I worked on ABC for a few months back in 1984, what a great station.</p>
    <p>My memories are a bit different, the mobile home in Tramore was the studio site in those days.</p>
    <p>Turntables and nikko tape decks, and a citronic mixer.. still it was sounded better than Radio 2..</p>
    <p>The house in Tramore with the recording studio (reel to reel) in the garage and Tony murell blowing up Andy lintons cigerette lighters..</p>
    <p>How many DJs could you fit in one house?? </p>
    <p>hard to believe it all ended in 1988.. 20 Years ago</p>

It was lightyears ahead in terms of music, presentation and there is nothing like it today.

Moved from a year old topic on the same issue. :)

Welcome to Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭djsupreme

Sully wrote: »
    Id assume maybe Beat is restricted to how it can perform, as apposed to the others who were doing it illegaly without any control at all. Would that have any affect?

Well said Sully. I was a big fan of the 80s ABC and the 90s ABC Power 104 - but it's very easy to romanticise these things, looking back with rose tinted glasses.

The fact is.... both stations were unlicensed, operating without rules or regulation. You can't compare with a licensed station that has strict rules on Irish music content, speech content, advertising guidelines, etc.

From about 1984, ABC Radio was compliant with any rules and laws it could. Taxes, VAT, PRS, all sorted.

All equipment professional and performing well above industry-wide standards.

Sure there were no rules about Irish music content, so we played the best Irish music. There were also no rules about speech content, but we were a music station, why should a music based station be forced to have speech?

That rule now is seen by many as irrelevent and restrictive.

Advertising guidelines? We stuck to the same rules RTE did.

Listen to the recordings, you'll see how good that station did sound. We were relevent, engaging, fun, interesting and responsible.

Times do change, but I do believe radio isn't as good now as it was then, due mainly to the unneccessarily restrictive and protective rules that stations now have to stick to.

A.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

Bring back the Pirates. I remember the hey day of ABC Radio 1983-88. It still brings back the memories, getting up turning on the radio, switching the dial from Radio 1 (which my parents still religiously listen to) over to ABC and Andy McCloskey belting out the tunes. Nothing has been teh same since.

WLR is dry, turgid and boring. Beat 102 is just a toned up version of WLR.

Anyone remember Quayside Radio, they broadcasted from 1997 - late 2000 before they were taken off air. Played all the oldies especially 70s and 80s & 90s music. They were 'unofficially' based in Rainbow Records. They played the kind of stuff that the contemporary stations no longer played.

ABC Power 104 (1996) were a continuity ABC (1982) and were a breath of fresh air when they started off. However towards the end they lost their way and became quite frankly rubbish with too much emphasis on dance music. Wasnt surprised they lost out in the end for the license.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭djsupreme

I agree with pretty much everything you say Andy. Radio was a lot more fun in the pirate days - both for those working in it and the listener. It is ridiculous that every music-driven station in Ireland nowadays has to provide so much speech content - in the UK, the US, and in australia - music stations are there to do just that - play good music.

I remember Quayside Radio. If I'm right, it was a much smaller operation than ABC Power. Played some cracking oldies, but it didn't have the same coverage and transmission facilities as the guys from ABC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Yea right!! thats your story old man hehe :):)

Its great to see this interest :) i was checking out http://abcthehotfm.com/ and whoever put the time and effort into gathering all the memories deserves a huge pat on the back, as any of you who know me outside of Boards you will know this kinda stuff really floats my boat, and i have been researching/ following the history of Radio in Waterford for the last few years and meeting with as many people as i could to have a chinwag with, i have chatted to HS a few times online and had a quick PM/ Hello to Andy L.. but what you guys archived is awesome in comparison to what radio had become nowadays.. cheers for giving us something to look back at and say wow!!

I was a big Anorak when i lived in Dublin most memorable was my trip in the 1980's to the SunShine 101 studio/portacabin beside the sands hotel in portmarnock.. i followed unlicensed stations all through my youth in Dublin and saw some of Irelands biggest names in radio appear from garden sheds and bedroom studios :) im a very big believer in the saying "just because your broadcasting from a garden shed, dosent mean you have to sound like you are" and there are many stations in the past that really pulled this off, ABC being one of them. History is still being made all over the country albeit to a lesser degree however it warms the heart to know that their is still support out there for genuine enthusiasts :D

73s 51s and 88's to the ladies ;-)

Exellent site, new to me I have to say.

Interesting how a disperate nay desperate bunch came, saw, conquered and for the most part forgot to leave!

I only came here for a year, to work on Suirside Radio before going to university.

But, I forgot to go back!

A.

I only came here for a year, to work on Suirside Radio before going to university.

But, I forgot to go back!

A.

haha i know how that goes man, i moved here for 6 months on a contract with a job.. 9 years later im still here.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

ABC Waterfords equivelant to Dublins Nova/Sunshine. They had some quality Dj's . Some of who went on to very interesting stations such as the Voice of Peace off Israel. What a Gig ?

...yes and more - Radio Caroline, Radio Luxembourg, GWR Bristol, BBC Radio Leeds, Touch 102, INN News, all stations that received people who started their professional radio careers on ABC.

One of my regrets is that I didn't do a gig on Caroline or VoP, when I could have during the 80s.

A.

Speaking of Radio

i would like to congratulate the guys at Zenith Classic rock who have been awarded a temp licence from the BCI

Broadcast Dates are as follows:
    28th - 31st December 2008
    1st - 5th Jan 2009,
    9th - 11th Jan 2009,
    16th - 18th Jan 2009
    23rd - 25th Jan 2009
    30th Jan - 1st Feb 2009
    6th - 8th Feb 2009
    13th - 15th Feb 2009
    20th - 22nd Feb 2009

looking forward to hearing this in Waterford :)

Well done to alinton :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Hissing Sideban

We (as it is both alinton and Hissing Sideban[ds] behind Zenith) will be doing some ABC nostalgia stuff on Zenith on 29th Dec, should be interesting!

Advertisement