Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio Nostalgia

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The frequency is 103.8 fm and 1584 am I see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 vanman

was with ABC RADIO in the early days,left for a short while, came back again,well done to all involved with this site,well worth the effort,wishing both listeners and people involved with the site a very happy christmas
    Billy Power

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Congrats lads :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

alinton wrote: »
    From about 1984, ABC Radio was compliant with any rules and laws it could. Taxes, VAT, PRS, all sorted.

All equipment professional and performing well above industry-wide standards.

Sure there were no rules about Irish music content, so we played the best Irish music. There were also no rules about speech content, but we were a music station, why should a music based station be forced to have speech?

That rule now is seen by many as irrelevent and restrictive.

Advertising guidelines? We stuck to the same rules RTE did.

Listen to the recordings, you'll see how good that station did sound. We were relevent, engaging, fun, interesting and responsible.

Times do change, but I do believe radio isn't as good now as it was then, due mainly to the unneccessarily restrictive and protective rules that stations now have to stick to.

A.

That's about it. And WLR/Beat is really WLR 1 & 2. A huge opportunity wa missed there. I really think the second licence should have gone elsewhere. Anyhere but where it ended up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 murray sparkle

Hey Van Man (Billy) didn't you used the do the country show on a Sunday night? We used to listen to it all the time at home, you even used to send my parents a Xmas card every year (for years after even!) . As far as I can remember you used to have your wife answering the phone for you, Am I right?

Murray!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭djsupreme

Freddie59 wrote: »
    That's about it. And WLR/Beat is really WLR 1 & 2. A huge opportunity wa missed there. I really think the second licence should have gone elsewhere. Anyhere but where it ended up.

Yeah, maybe they should have given the licence to Denis O'Brien or UTV. There seems to be an impression out there that WLR owns and runs Beat FM which is nonsense. They have the same owners, and they share a building, that's all.

With regard to the original application for the regional licence, the other crowd didn't get it because the majority of the investment money was coming from abroad (as opposed to the 100% Irish investment in the Beat licence); and they couldn't convince the board that they could competently run a regional radio station. Simple as. It's seven years ago - time to get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Don't forget to listen to 103.8 FM or 1584Am this afternoon for some ABC remeniscencing!

A.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

alinton wrote: »
    Don't forget to listen to 103.8 FM or 1584Am this afternoon for some ABC remeniscencing!

A.

Is this a regional or national thing? Im heading up to Dublin but would still like to listen out!

No afraid its only audible in the Waterford/Wexford area.

A.

I can hear Pink Floyd through a stereo fuzz (barely okay in mono).

Okay I'm now listening via my internet radio and its the Zenith stream and its got a crackly distortion.

• Advertisement

Alinton your mic channel is open! :eek:

Andy Ellis it was then (hey I'd forgotten how you sounded!)

The MW signal is grand, loud and clear when on the ORR.

Nope it wasn't me with mic on!

A.

I had a listen to it until I was out of range. Is this a temp thing or are ye hoping to actually launch this at some stage with the permission from those in charge?

Well we'd love to, but there isn't a permanent licence available at present. Unfortunately the south-east has been overlooked by the upcoming 'mult-city' station 4fm which launches in 09. Waterford is the only city it won't cover.

However one of our intentions in running this temp station is to show that a small-scale, music-only station can be done in this area, and will be making a submission to the BCI to that effect.

Its possible (only slightly though, realistically) that they might consider making a licence available.

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

Did any of ye run in to my Father in Law Jim F. back in them days?

He's still a HAM Radio geek but does a lot of fastscan telly stuff now, easier to use MSN Video but he won't be told! :D

He started DCR back in the day from his house and shed, went to Ben O'Neills for a bit. A lot of the WLR tech guys would know him and Timmy Ryan, Mary Dixon nad Sean Organ all started there. OK Marys career kind of ended there also... Goodbyeeee!

Good to see the old Piratey days are remembered even if there seem to be no pirates about any more, is it that tightly regulated now/ big fines etc.?

Advertisement