Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotels Ennis / Shannon

• 13-12-2008 1:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

I am looking for a nice hotel in the Shannon or Ennis area for new year's eve..

I know its late booking but I have no idea where to start as I have never been there before..

Can anyone help in which hotels to go for or provide links?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Diairist

http://www.lynchotels.com/ClareInn/ employ the same staff year after year. That's surely a sign they're getting it right! Buffet is copious. I'd recommend it highly from my experience.

If you have the wee pot of cash you saved by shopping in Newry, nip over the fence and down a track to Dromoland Castle. The site http://www.dromoland.ie/dining.html# mentions Mrs. White's afternoon tea. I don't know what the Mrs. White bit means but I wonder is it still served by a trained waiter on a silver tray (made of silver, like) with a flower in a slim silver vase (made of...)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

In shannon there is...
    I don't know Ennis at all I'm afraid. If you want to head towards the limerick side there are a few more places in Bunratty and Cratloe.

Living in shannon I haven't stayed in any of these.. (Actually, just remembered I may have stayed in the oakwood for a wedding - nice room If I recall).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Because I'm from Ennis I wouldn't have stayed in the local hotels. The main recommendation would be to stay away from The West County. It's cheap, but dirty according to anybody I know stayed there.

Dromoland and The Old Ground would be the ones with the best rep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Stayed at the old ground in oct, we booked one of the superior suites, think there,s only 2, pricey but absolutely amazing!!!
    Huge newly renovated room with high ceiling, exposed wooden beams etc. 5 star standard room at 3/4 star prices.
    We were back in Ireland for a birthday night out and the party ended up back in our room. Music blasting etc til all hours and no complaints. Met neighbours next day in the bar and they said they never heard a peep. Ideal for new years eve!
    Only hotel i would consider using in ennis the rest are very poor.
    Theres fek all in shannon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭northdubgal

Thanks for all those links, I am gonna check them out now..

I was just talking to the other half (we're visiting his distant relatives that live in Shannon) so the hotel doesnt have to be in Shannon or Ennis just somewhere that is near or driveable to Shannon..

With that in mind would you suggest any other nice hotels?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Limerick city is only 15 minutes from Shannon, and has loads of nice hotels. Check it out on trip advisor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Because I'm from Ennis I wouldn't have stayed in the local hotels. The main recommendation would be to stay away from The West County. It's cheap, but dirty according to anybody I know stayed there.

Dromoland and The Old Ground would be the ones with the best rep.

I stayed in the West County in November and couldn't fault it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭black & white

The Oakwood Arms in Shannon do a NYE Dinner at about 40 Euro a pop, I've been there for the last 2 years and enjoyed it. Have a look on their website for more details. Not sure if there's a disco in the function room or not, I'm fairly sure there was before.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭missbaker

The Shannon Shamrock in Bunratty . .You couold go for dinner in Durty Nellys . .great food and live music and even better craic! Ther is a new disco in the shamrock then if you fancy a boogie!!

Advertisement