Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Railway sleepers?

• 13-12-2008 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can get some old railway sleepers cheap?

They're not for a nice garden feature so I don't want to pay exhorbitant garden-centre prices.

They also don't have to be in perfect condition as they won't be on display.

Thanks

Andy.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Have you tried asking anybody in Irish Rail? There are usually a few thrown on the side of the old rail lines but im unsure how you could get them to your desired location as they seem like it would need a lot to lift them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

They can't officially sell old ones any more, something about the creosote being poisonous/health and safety/nonsense as usual.

That doesn't matter to me though. Garden centres sell new, non-creosote ones but they're too expensive.

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

Go down to the scrap yard on the tramore road opposite smyth's toys. They will have them or if not get them for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

If you know anyone in Irish Rail they might be able to sort something out. You'd have to arrange transport and stuff yourself obviously

Go down to the scrap yard on the tramore road opposite smyth's toys. They will have them or if not get them for you.

No joy there. I need 9.

A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

the salvage shop in johns park used to have loads of them but im unsure if the place is stil going,it would be worth you r while to look the numbr anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭deiseff

Try Waterford and suir vally railway. The lads out there are sound. Be aware there extremly heavy. You,ll be suprised at the weight of even the smalest pieces

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

Go down to bilberry on the way to the new bridge on the waterford side,on the left is an old railway track.Bring a socket set and take your pic of hundreds.They will be perfect after a clean

If you mean the bit of track that ends there, that's part of the Waterford & Suir Valley Railway, and I think they'd be none too pleased if someone started dismantling it.

Besides, dismantling track panels is too much like hard work. There must be 9 sleepers lying around unwanted somewhere!

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

There was a guy out on the back Kilmeaden road selling sleepers a while back. He had loads! Can't remember his name but it was one of the business parks. Beyond the new roundabout by Gynzyme and before the roundabout for the bypass on the left!

• Advertisement

OK thanks, I'll check there tomorrow!

cheers

A.

Are you looking for full length sleepers

Well, ideally, yes. But they don't need to be in great condition.

A.

alinton wrote: »
    Well, ideally, yes. But they don't need to be in great condition.

A.

your going to have a job transporting them. I have a bit of one about 2ft lohg and its nearly a two man lift if someone is around. There is special craines to lift them on the railroads

I think that depends. I was looking at some in IE's yard yesterday and I could nearly lift one, two men would.

Perhaps it depends if they're the old creosoted ones or newer treated ones.

Still need 'em though!

A.

Well the one i have is the old wat to cork line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

I remember 20 odd years ago using some of the sleepers from the old Waterford & Tramore rail line dumped down in Poleberry as part of our camp gear before later burning them in a bonfire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 BCD

I got a few in Morris's in the Manor last year so maybe they still have them in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

alinton wrote: »
    If you mean the bit of track that ends there, that's part of the Waterford & Suir Valley Railway, and I think they'd be none too pleased if someone started dismantling it.

Besides, dismantling track panels is too much like hard work. There must be 9 sleepers lying around unwanted somewhere!

A.

I thought it was just disused. Its by the red iron bridge and a lot of the sleepers are in good nick

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I thought it was just disused. Its by the red iron bridge and a lot of the sleepers are in good nick

I know the ones you are talking about but I assume there the old ones he refered to earlier?

Not sure if you saw it but theres a little signal pole near by covered over in the grass, supprised its still there!

• Advertisement

Do yoiu mean close to where that old locomotive is? If you look, you'll see that's narrow guage, (3' i think) not the broad guage (5'3") used on mainlines. So its W&SV.

Not seen the signal pole though, I bet there's no signal on it!

By the way I got sleepers, it turns out the guy advertising nr Cleaboy actually lives down my road!

Its a funny old world.

Thanks for help guys.

Advertisement