Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foundation maths???

Options
  • 13-12-2008 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Is it actually possible to get into college with foundation maths?
    Maths is definitely my weakest subject, even with grinds I can't understand it. I was thinking about foundation but my parents keep telling me it won't get me into college. I'm not so sure though, and if anyone could shed any light on this, I'd be really grateful.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes, though not directly and not to all courses is the short answer.

What college(s) and course(s) are you aiming for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 adiosyesterday

Not exactly sure yet but it'll definitely be something like Language or Arts, probably in UCD or Maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

FL maths satisfies the general matriculation requirement for the NUI, but can't be substituted for ordinary or higher maths in faculties which have a maths requirement.

There is no maths requirement for the following faculties:
    • Arts
    • Human Sciences
    • Philosophy
    • Celtic Studies
    • Law
    • Social Science

So, for those faculties, you need Irish, English, a third language and three other passes, (and you can count FL maths as one of those passes).

So, from what you say you want to do, it sounds like you'll be ok. The above information is gleaned from the NUI entry regulations, but you should double-check with them.

The full document concerning entry regulations is linked here: http://www.nui.ie/college/docs/matricRegs0708Eng.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 adiosyesterday

Thanks MathsManiac!
    That's really helpful.

Advertisement