Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MP3 Phone

• 13-12-2008 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for a new phone to play mp3s but want to avoid anything like the iphone or the big fancy nokias.

I don't need anything too fancy and I couldn't care less about the camera, but I need the phone to be absolutely class with mp3s. My plan is to plug it into a stereo so it needs to be able to produce ipod quality sound (am I naive in expecting this?).

I also don't need a lot of memory, 4gb would be grand.

I don't know anything about phones, and I was looking at the Sony Ericsson Wxxx phones, and they would be grand, so can anyone tell me if their sound quality is up to scratch? Or are there any other phones that can do the job?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I'm no audiophile but have had a selection of SE phones over the last few years, W800i, K750i, K800i and now the C902.

Been very happy with the speaker quality and MP3 playback on all these phones and with the quality of the units in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

sony w880i or sony w890i were music phones of the year 07/08

€99 for a w880i on 3 or €179 for a w890i on Meteor

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Thanks a million for the quick and helpful replies.

So you guys reckon that these phones have similar sound quality to an ipod?

If that's the case then I reckon the w890i could be a winner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Use a W760 myself and have to say it's great for the walkman the only prob is it freezes sometime's other than that it's great. A few other nice features on it also eg, the GPS comes in pretty handy from time to time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Had a SE W810i before.
    Superb phone i have to say. MP3 player is excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Gillo wrote: »
    Use a W760 myself and have to say it's great for the walkman the only prob is it freezes sometime's other than that it's great. A few other nice features on it also eg, the GPS comes in pretty handy from time to time.

The w760i looks like a great phone! I have been reading reviews about it and I see a lot of people complain about it freezing and stopping in the middle of songs etc. Have you tried upgrading the firmware? That has solved some peoples problems.

I'd love to know any downsides to the phone if you have any.

Also, as a matter of interest, what are the organiser functions like on the Sony Ericssons in general? I'm talking about Alarms, Reminders and stuff. I'm used to using Nokia and I use them all the time. Do they work well on SE phones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Freezing is the only problem that said it doesn't happen to often and I haven't tried updating the firmware I was a mac so I have to use the GF's laptop to update the firmware (that's really just an excuse for been lazy!!).
    The GPS is decent I wouldn't buy the phone on the basis of the GPS as the screen is a bit small for reading, but twice it's come in handy; first time I was staying in Dundalk for a week and hadn't a clue of where anything in the town was so it was handy to save locations and then last weekend I was going up to Newry but decided to take the back roads it was handy when we took a wrong turn.

Battery life, I get between one and three days, if I'm in the gym I'll typically use the MP3 player for up to three hours (and stream the audio through bluetooth earphones) that's naturally going to run down the battery a fair bit.

The calender does the job for me, I'd normally have between two and four appointments per day, although it's a pity the calender views are a little limited, it does the job for me though. Contact manager yeah it's the same as most phone a nice feature which SE have brought in though is when you're on the standby screen you can just type the person's name in and it'll bring it up in the phone book so not need to go ito the contacts and then start typeing.

If you haven't looked there yet try http://www.gsmarena.com, it's good for independent information.

Advertisement