Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish awareness to mobile internet

• 13-12-2008 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

This probably the wrong place to post this as many posters are fluent in the all things mobile!

But just wondering, are the irish aware on whats capable with mobile internet yet?

For example:

1) people still think msn, gmail chat etc on mobiles is still something quite technical, its not..its very easy to do!

2)Twitter, still no interest here, loads of people have never heard of it.

3)internet radio, all its takes is one application!

4)mobile blogging

Thought it would be a nice topic to discuss because the current launchings and promotion of mobile internet packages.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Many people don't care about those things, period. As long as they have access to search (if even), Bebo or Facebook many will be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

What is Twitter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Facebook / Bebo type social network access, and good email interfaces like gmail are what is and will continue to drive this forward

Instant messaging like MSN etc are really rather useless on my phone as you have to stay logged in and it wastes your battery even if it doesn't cost any per-minute charge.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

IMO the majority of people just want a mobile for talk and text. Most people will never use all the functions of the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I reckon if you have more than a passing interest in the internet (i.e. you can't go away on a 2 week holiday without wondering what's happening on Boards or who emailed you) then you already know about all those features of mobile internet.

I do feel though that networks have so much more potential for revenue there if they just took the step forward to try and educate people. I'm sure there's a lot more people out there if they just made things easier. There's too many APNs, too many IP addresses, too much provisioning, jargon etc for the novice to try get a real grasp over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

I have 4 colleagues in their early twenties who constantly check their email and bebo etc on the composter and sms on their phones (good phones btw: n95, omnia, w980 and, eh, sth calles a 'motorola'???hehehe)... No matter what I say, they insist that mobile net is like wap ca. 2004, and checking an email takes too long and costs 5 euro... It's bizarre. Well, the guy with the w980 uses a 2gb wharfdale from argos for mp3 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

IMO the majority of people just want a mobile for talk and text. Most people will never use all the functions of the phone.

Yet give people a mobile phone that offers a good experience (the iPhone) and they will use the internet and music and mapping and downloadable applications like they were going out of fashion. Hmmmm, just talk and text?

mental07 wrote: »
    What is Twitter?

Don't worry, people who work in mobile internet have difficulty explaining what twitter is about/useful for.

http://www.mobileindustryreview.com/2008/12/my_arse_with_twitter_help.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

damo86 wrote: »

But just wondering, are the irish aware on whats capable with mobile internet yet?

from experience they majority of them don't have a clue and don't want it because they think it's very expensive, if you look at 3's advertising they've pulled back on advertising internet services for the simple reason people didn't understand it, all they know is talk and text, pretty sad state of affairs for a country that classes itself as a knowledge economy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Well Irish mobile operators charged way over the odds for Internet access until very recently! You could discover that you'd need to remortgage your house and sell your grandmother simply because you browsed a few sap sites! This is not unique to Ireland either, mobile operators outside perhaps finland and japan failed to grasp what the Internet on your handset could be! Their pricing models were insane and have left a very bad taste in consumers mouths. It's going to take a while for mobile users to realize that there are good value ISP access options now available

The user experience has also been dire on most mobile devices until relatively recently. Like it or loath it the iPhone is driving the mobile online experience! WAP and imode have been dismal failures so far. Also handsets are more powerful and have bigger better resolution screens this is also making mobile internetaccess feasable.

I wouldn't say Irish mobile users are unaware of Internet access options, rather that the industry has failed to excite them or capture their interest!

It will take off though it's just going to take time. Facebook, Bebo etc are proving to me the killer aps

Posted on an iPhone btw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭pphheerroonn

I like the idea behind Twitter. I used to use it myself on my mobile but since they stopped sending updates to mobiles outside of the US I think its appeal for me has been lost, although now that Bebo has integration for it interest may be sparked again.
    I also use Gmail and Bebo on my phone but anything beyond that I'm just not interested in! There isn't a good enough data plan at a price I would be willing to pay for me to use more.
    Youtube would be something I would really like to use as well as Qik if only the phone networks were to release a good plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I would say that nowadays my internet usage is nearly 50% on my laptop and 50% on my phone, and I average 7/8 hours a day online....:o

The greater majority of my friends are unaware or disinterested when it comes to mobi internet though.

Advertisement