Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Money for old Catalytic convertors?

Options
  • 13-12-2008 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭

I believe that theres money to be made in old cats with this urban mining lark. I've an old cat I want to get rid of. Anyone know where to bring this to for a few bob. How much would they be worth??

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Ah you can't be serious, i threw away two. Arse. Handy for future reference.

BuMp for a good cause:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Ah you can't be serious, i threw away two. Arse. Handy for future reference.

BuMp for a good cause:D

Yep a few people in the states woke up to find their cat missing lol!

I'm in the Dublin area BTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

Best off to hold onto them for now,the price of scrap metal and such things has gone way down.You'd probably only get €10-15 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,461 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Son wrote: »
    the price of scrap metal and such things has gone way down.

The price of scrap metal is not the reason your second hand cat might be worth something. Mosts cats use platinum (a precious metal more valuable than gold) as the catalyst. AFAIK it is possible to recover the platinum from the used cat but it's not easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,461 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Just found this:

A cat might contain up to 7g of platinum which is worth $2k per ounce according to the article - so about $500 worth of platinum in one cat :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

When I ran an indy garage, I had a path literally bet to my business by people looking for used CAT's. I used to give what I had to travellers and didn't look for any money for it, as I saw it they were saving me money throwing the stuff out in a skip, but a nearby garage told me they did a run up to the north once a month and got 40 quid sterling for a used genuine cat and 20 quid sterling for an aftermarket cat. Smaller cars with smaller cats got 20 quid and downwards.

There is certainly money to be had to them, but you'd want to be collecting them to be making anything out of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,324 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Darragh29 wrote: »
    .. they did a run up to the north once a month and got 40 quid sterling for a used genuine cat and 20 quid sterling for an aftermarket cat.....
    So, original manufacturer ones are definitely better than aftermarket ones then? :D

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

thats intresting i never knew cats had a value on scrap market, does anyone know the guys up north who buy them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i just keep them , as with all parts that can be recycled, and every month or two i take a trip to the local scrapper...

few quid to be made but honestly you need a Good amount before making money ...

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Bring them to Hammond lane in rings end they were paying upwards of € 60 for an original and about € 30 for a spurious , but I believe the botttom has fallen out of that market at the monmet so you might be lucky to get € 20

• Advertisement
Advertisement