Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Fighter Finale (Spoilers)

Options
  • 13-12-2008 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭

So any thoughts? Here's the card and the weigh-in results:
    Prelim matches

John Polakowski (152) vs. Roli Delgado (155)

Tom Lawlor (204) vs. Kyle Kingbury (205)

George Roop (153) vs. Shane Nelson (156)

Jules Bruchez (205) vs. Eliot Marshal (203)

Shane Primm (203) vs. Krzysztof Soszynski (205)

Live matches

Junie Browning (156) vs. David Kaplan (156)

Anthony Johnson (171) vs. Kevin Burns (171)

Wilson Gouveia (189) vs. Jason MacDonald (184) - Gouveia missed weight by three pounds but the two agreed to fight

Vinicius Magalhaes (205) vs. Ryan Bader (205) for the light heavyweight tournament final

Phillipe Nover (155) vs. Efrain Escudero (156) for the lightweight tournament final

What is it with middleweights missing weight? (Lutter, Alves, Filho...)

I'd like to see Bader win but it's a tough fight for him because if it hits the ground then he's almost certainly going to lose. Could be kinda boring if it stays standing

Nover vs Escudero should be a lot better though. The word is that the UFC are definitely interested in giving both of these guys more fights. Nover has been the star of this season as far as ability goes and I think that he should win

I'd like to see Junie win, just because he's got charisma and interests me. He's been training at Xtreme Couture so his conditioning should be a lot better now. And apparently he's been very well behaved while there. Kaplan came across as a bit of an idiot on the show, I hope Junie knocks him out just to disprove his "I can't be KOed" theory again :pac:

Johnson vs Burns in the eyepoke grudge match, Johnson should win

I think the two best other fighters on the show are Eliot and Krzysztof, but I don't know how well they'd fare in the UFC 205lbs division. Eliot could probably drop down to middleweight but Krzysztof used to be a heavyweight so he might have more trouble

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

I've been turned off watching this event by that sickening leg break at Fight Night. Seeing broken bones makes me sick!! Blood I can take but there's just something wrong when you see someones limbs flopping around or facing the wrong way. :(

Anyway I'm sure I'll get over it. I'm interested to see Vinny fight with 6 months training after the show. If he improves his stand up to catch up with his ground game then he could be excellent. Both Vinny and Bader would have a serious 6 months of training going into this fight and thats after the show finished so I'd say we'll get a great fight here.

The lightweight final should be very very good. I'd pick Nover in this one just going on performances from the show. But yet again 6 months training can change everything.

Should be a good show. Think I'll sky plus it and watch it tomorrow. I don't have the same excitement about it to stay up and watch it as I would a major PPV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

This is being repeated now on Setanta Ireland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

the event seemed to lack the buzz the series had, did anyone else feel that?

Junie looks much better and looks to have worked super hard. Would like to seem him fight again was a sweet armbar he pulled off.

Krzysztof's kamora looked super nasty!!!!!!

Sweet head kick ko in the burns v johnson rematch, talk about on the button

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Kaplan irritates me more than Junie. Junie was very impressive, much improved technique and focus. Kaplan looked like he was going for his, stand there and get hit in the face strategy. Redeeming points for Kaplans entrance.

Not impressed with Krystoff.

Good job by Bader, Vinny still has alot of potential.

Nover's wrestling is likely to continue to be a hole in his game. Good job by Efrain, not the most exciting, but a gameplan well executed.

Justice for Johnson, and a highlight reel KO as well. I have to say Johnson has been exceptionally classy throughout.

Wilson Gouevia has huge potential, if only he was bothered.

Efrain came in with the better gameplan and executed it well. I knew he'd be a game opponent but was suprised at how easily Philippe was getting taken down.

Comparisons to GSP and Silva were wide of the mark, I'd equate him more to Roger Huerta tbh. Still has tonnes of potential.

Bader did a good job but Jesus that punch must have been monstrous as it barely seemed to hit him. Vinny if he learns how to strike will be very good. I still think that "pretty boy syndrome" will be his achilles heel. He's so reluctant to throw fists or engage at all except for kicks, its unreal.

Krystoffs win was good for him but I never foresee him being a force.

Johnsons KO was unreal, the speed he got his leg up was amazing, Burns didnt even see it coming.

Wilson G suffers from ATT syndrome by being absolutely miles away from making weight! Impressive win though.

Junie Browning looked great, definitely FOTN.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

You forgot to mention the second part of the ATT syndrome, after you miss weight, you dominate your opponent, and then ask for a title shot.......:p

Advertisement