Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potatoes then tomatoes straight after?

Options
  • 13-12-2008 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of planting some first earlies in my greenhouse now and then tomato seedlings when I have harvested them. I know they are in the same family but is this advisable?

My main concerns would be exhausing the soil and whether the potatoes would be ready for harvesting when it is time to plant out the tomato seedlings from the seed trays.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

I remember reading somewhere that those two crops should not follow each other as they can both get blight & if the first crop gets it the second can pick it up from the spores in the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Good practice (especially in Greenhouse/raised beds) is to fertilize soil before and after harvesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

I'd say no way! You need some form of crop rotation to get decent growth.
    Also potatoes are murderous on the soil. They remove huge amounts of organic matter and nutrients..
    Something fairly light like lettuce would be ok after the potatoes

Advertisement