Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Junior Diplomat/Third Secretary

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Did anyone not get their results? Very confused, no notification from public jobs. Maybe they send them out in different batches?

They do send them out in batches- and also- its possible your results are up on Publicjobs- but you haven't received an e-mail yet. Keep an eye on your message board.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Politically Correct

Hi all,

I fell within the 283 on the order of merit, but I have received no actual invitation to the next phase yet.

Has anyone received further communication from the PAS?

I have booked my annual leave and plan on buying the flights home tomorrow. Am I crazy for assuming that my ranking automatically translates into a call for the next phase?

Given the nature of the job, and the profile of individuals that would be attracted to it, I imagine that quite a few people will travel from far away and require time to make preparations ... again, maybe I am crazy :D

yours truly,

P.C.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Paphos

Hi all,

I fell within the 283 on the order of merit, but I have received no actual invitation to the next phase yet.

Has anyone received further communication from the PAS?

I have booked my annual leave and plan on buying the flights home tomorrow. Am I crazy for assuming that my ranking automatically translates into a call for the next phase?

Given the nature of the job, and the profile of individuals that would be attracted to it, I imagine that quite a few people will travel from far away and require time to make preparations ... again, maybe I am crazy :D

yours truly,

P.C.

I'm in a similar position. I fell within the top 100 re. Stage 1 results, so I'm optimistic, though I haven't received an invite yet. The message I received with my ranking said that they planned to commence the next stage from Monday, December 14th.

Like you, I'm living abroad and cannot travel to Ireland before the 17th. I've informed them of such, though haven't received a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Based on what happened with the Administrative Officer competition, you should get a message in the next few days with a date for the next stage.

I called the PAS this morning, the schedule is still not set. I was informed that the actual assessment activities and schedule would not be set this week. Invitations will be sent only after this has been completed (Paphos, you should really try to get home a few days earlier. It appears that it will be very late when they inform you whether they can facilitate you or not - at which point getting home might be tough)

We should expect to receive invitations and material "in the next weeks". It appears that there has been some staff turnover and resources are stretched - also the AO process is more urgent due to the shorter deadline.

However, I was assured that we can safely make our travel arrangements without an official invitation - in the confidence that we will eventually be called.

Yours in mutual ignorance,

P.C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Veledan22

I'm not sure if this will follow the same pattern, but for the AO competition you got roughly a minimum of one weeks notice about the interview date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Assessment centre date and time received. To include verification of previous results, a job simulation test and a written exercise. Best of luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 marksmith

Looks like the assessments are running up to about the 17th.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Omnishambles99

Yup got mine for the 14th

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

Anyone any idea what the job simulation and written exercise will involve...at a loss on how to prepare.

I assume the verification of results will just be taking similar tests to the online assessments we have already completed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 ClaireF88

written exercise I believe is writing a brief. Appears to have been the case in the past. Anyone know if Stage 3 will take place before the new year, possibly even before Christmas?

Thanks. I assume the assessment centre is a casual dress affair?

I would say not a hope of stage 3 being before the end of the year, imagine early January at some point.

Thanks. I imagine it is a casual dress affair. In fact, I believe I read that somewhere. Having said that, I will make an effort and wear casual business :)

More info sent out. For those who make it through the next stage is scheduled to commence after January 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 d.folan

Anyone have any idea how to prepare for the written exercise? The information is pretty vague... Do they provide us with the information that we then have to summarise in the brief??

Yes, if memory serves correctly, you are provided with materials and instructions on a brief to prepare and must do so accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 blue10

Congrats to everyone for getting through

About the casual dress thing, does that mean guys are not wearing suits?

Wear whatever you are comfortable in.

A previous assessment centre I did at PAS was jeans and shirt or jumper sort of thing, its not an interview just a herd of people for assessments so don't worry about that aspect too much, this is all about performance in the tests.

Ok, thanks for the advice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Audacious

Anyone who did it today like to throw up a bit of advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dorada

Has anyone heard when the results of round 2 will be out?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭SoaringPanda

Dorada wrote: »
    Has anyone heard when the results of round 2 will be out?

They did say they expected to release the results this week. I think the next round which is a group assignment and interview is due to take place the week of the 18th.

It's a tough wait, I've got everything crossed in the hope I get through, it seems like a fantastic opportunity.

Results should be out tomorrow or Friday I would imagine. Best of luck to everyone.

Results are out . They're calling 121 to the next stage

Does anyone know what the next stage involves?

Just got emailed with the date for the interview and group exercise.

Hi,

Indeed, an interview and a group exercise.

Does anyone know when stage 4 is expected to commence? I am not convinced I will get past stage 3, but am about to book some flights for early February :)

Thanks

Mid February for final interview according to this afternoon's message re details of stage 3

• Advertisement

Anybody know when actual intake is predicted for? I guess we will get the final results in first or week of March, but when would the successful candidates start?

Does anyone know when we will hear whether we have made it to the next stage?

Final Interviews are expected to commence mid-February. If I were to hazard a guess I would say candidates will receive notifications some time from next Friday on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Dcsmall

Hi all,
    I'm a second year undergraduate in college studying doing a 4 year law degree with hopes to do a masters soon after. I was wondering if those of you who have sat through the long process and succeeded in getting a job or passing any of the stages could give me some advice as to what I could start doing now in order to make myself a good candidate for this job. I know it'll be around 4-5 years before I can apply but I'd like to begin now by planning on what I could do to make myself more suitable. Any tips?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 marksmith

Practice your numeric and verbal assessments. They're the first round and knock out about 90% of people... Also the ability to summarize information quickly and accurately. Your qualifications and experience won't count for anything unless you get past them.

That been said, it's more the person than the degree they're looking for. If you can show the competencies then it doesn't matter what your quals are. I'm a land surveyor and I'm still in the competition with folks from a legal or humanities background... It really doesn't matter

It might seem a bit strange that people who are spending so long to get qualifications which would be very relevant are knocked out so early compared to people who can test well, but they're more interested in finding the right kind of person that they can train for the job. (I.e. Don't bother waiting to get the masters before you apply... Get the job and then they'll pay for the masters for you!!!! :) )

Regardless, best of luck to you... If I don't get it this time round I'll probably see you in the next competition
    Dcsmall wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm a second year undergraduate in college studying doing a 4 year law degree with hopes to do a masters soon after. I was wondering if those of you who have sat through the long process and succeeded in getting a job or passing any of the stages could give me some advice as to what I could start doing now in order to make myself a good candidate for this job. I know it'll be around 4-5 years before I can apply but I'd like to begin now by planning on what I could do to make myself more suitable. Any tips?

Cheers!

Veledan22 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when we will hear whether we have made it to the next stage?

They said that the results will be out this week already. So, if we believe them, we should hear by Friday. I guess they were submitting the results from each panel and group at the end of each day during the testing week. Based on that, I am hoping we even hear early this week!

• Advertisement

Dcsmall wrote: »
    Hi all,

Cheers!

What Mark says is true, your experience does not count until 90% of the people are gone, and even then you are tested on competencies and transferable skills, not on thematic subjects. However, consider a Masters in International Law and make sure you are active in socities and do relevant internships só that you havê examples of how you demonstrated different competencies in your experiences ... And learn chinese during those four years ;)

They said that the results will be out this week already. So, if we believe them, we should hear by Friday. I guess they were submitting the results from each panel and group at the end of each day during the testing week. Based on that, I am hoping we even hear early this week!

Thanks, it would be great to hear back that quickly. After so many stages, I'm finding the waiting game a lot more difficult this time around!

Who said this?

Tristram wrote: »
    Who said this?

I asked on the interview day. The when was stated as this week, the how is my guessing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

For the numeric and verbal assessments - did any of you practice particular online tests or certain books to get up to speed? My numerical reasoning let me down last competition so I want to get the appropriate practice in now!

• Advertisement

La_Gordy wrote: »
    For the numeric and verbal assessments - did any of you practice particular online tests or certain books to get up to speed? My numerical reasoning let me down last competition so I want to get the appropriate practice in now!

I used the free tests on practiceaptitudetests.com and http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/tests/mathstest2.htm if that is any help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Veledan22 wrote: »
    I used the free tests on practiceaptitudetests.com and http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/tests/mathstest2.htm if that is any help :)

Really appreciated - thanks for that!

Anyone received word yet? The waiting is killing me !

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭sarachryan

Good luck

Anyone received word yet? The waiting is killing me !

Nada! Checking every hour now, haha.

Nada! Checking every hour now, haha.

No word yet, I feel like I'm spending half my day checking my email and on here to see whether anyone has heard back!

You're not the only one!!

blue10 wrote: »
    You're not the only one!!

It's not looking like we're going to hear anything today....hopefully they will put us out of our misery tomorrow.

I think you're right. While I'm tempted to ring them now to ask will it be out this evening, I think I'll leave them alone !!

I think you're right. While I'm tempted to ring them now to ask will it be out this evening, I think I'll leave them alone !!

Yes, I think we're probably better off just waiting until they get in touch and hoping for the best ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement