Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Junior Diplomat/Third Secretary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Zelenovi

maviesk wrote: »
    Any updates from our friends who were in the first 30?

Sure - bear in mind this will depend on e.g. how many countries you would need to get police certificates from, but i was in the first 30 and it took approx 2.5 months between getting the email requesting all the documentation, and getting confirmation of a start date.
    The process is: you submit all the forms and police certificates, you’ll receive a link to start online Garda vetting, PAS contacts previous employers, PAS contacts current employer, then quite soon afterwards ( provided everything is in order), you’ll get a message asking when you’re free to start. It sounded like they are ready to have people start immediately, although I have a notice period and never got any pushback about that. I’m starting in April.

Hope this helps!

Also, for reference - the Subject Access Disclosure IS accepted as a UK police disclosure. It’s free and arrived within 10 days of requesting so i’d recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 maviesk

Thanks, Zelenovi!
    Very useful information to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 AngelMae

Results from last week's stage 4 interviews went out today, it says that the 'precise number of vacancies to be filled from this competition will be determined shortly'.

Unclear as to how many from last year's stage 4 panel are still to be cleared before this panel begins, but hopefully it will be moving quickly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Has anyone asked or received feedback in relation to either of their interviews out of interest? Surely we're entitled to it. Cheers!

Has anyone asked or received feedback in relation to either of their interviews out of interest? Surely we're entitled to it. Cheers!

For the Stage 4 last week the scores for each the competencies were given in the email.

I had asked for Stage 3 feedback previously and was told it wasn’t possible as you might be called to Stage 4 later and therefore were still in the competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 CrouchTiger

Vakhta wrote: »
    I was in the November batch for Stage 3; I've been called for a Stage 4 interview at the end of february/first few days of march. So it looks like your presumption is correct Angelmae!

My question is how the new order of merit will be calculated - if you excel at stage 3 after getting through in the second batch of calls, will you be placed ahead of those of us in the first batch who were too nervous to speak properly...

I was also in the first batch (November) to get through Stage 3 and just completed the Stage 4 interview the last week of Feb. We got panelled on Monday, so I assume for those who did Stage 3 in January and are still proceeding to Stage 4 in Mid-March, they will be forming a further (third) panel if ours is already done?

As it stands there looks to be an initial panel with an order of merit of c. 30 that have been recruited and another 30 still waiting, if I've followed this thread correctly. A new, second, panel with its own order of merit has just been released to those of us who did it last week, and an additional forthcoming third panel will issue before April. It seems like a huge number of us to have waiting for this intake! I've no idea how many vacancies they need to fill or what hope those on the second and third panels might reasonably hold out, but in the past there's been c. 40-50 taken in before the panels expire and a new competition opens in 18 months. So either this year is exceptional, or most of us will be disappointed, I fear!

Would love to hear other thoughts on it!

I think your reading of it is right, 30 left on panel 1, then this new panel from last week (panel 2) and a further panel to be created.

Does anyone have any idea how many were put on panel 2 last week? I’m in the top 10 but not sure out of how many.

I suppose if the 30 left on panel 1 are taken on soon (which would seem likely given the number of 3rd secs going on posting, the expansion plans and Brexit) then hopefully they’ll move on to panel 2 soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 8 josbh9

I was also in the first batch (November) to get through Stage 3 and just completed the Stage 4 interview the last week of Feb. We got panelled on Monday, so I assume for those who did Stage 3 in January and are still proceeding to Stage 4 in Mid-March, they will be forming a further (third) panel if ours is already done?

As it stands there looks to be an initial panel with an order of merit of c. 30 that have been recruited and another 30 still waiting, if I've followed this thread correctly. A new, second, panel with its own order of merit has just been released to those of us who did it last week, and an additional forthcoming third panel will issue before April. It seems like a huge number of us to have waiting for this intake! I've no idea how many vacancies they need to fill or what hope those on the second and third panels might reasonably hold out, but in the past there's been c. 40-50 taken in before the panels expire and a new competition opens in 18 months. So either this year is exceptional, or most of us will be disappointed, I fear!

Would love to hear other thoughts on it!

I'm also in the second panel (stage 4 in Feb), haven't a clue what to make of this compared to other years but it does seem a much larger intake this time. The fact that a third panel was already being put in place for an additional batch to do stage 3 makes me think they're anticipating a lot more vacancies. It doesn't seem to make sense to me for them to expend all this energy to put together two more panels if they're only taking in the usual amount. That's pure speculation though, just trying to impose some logic on the minimal info we have to go on right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 18SpookyBooks

I have gotten a bit lost in this thread tbh, can anyone tell me:

1) How many of the 60 initially called to stage 4 interview were placed on first panel?
    2) How many of the first panel have been called to go into screening?
    3) Has anyone actually started their jobs yet?

Finally:
    4)What exactly is involved in health screening etc? Do they send you for health tests, or just check your references, or ??

I'm placed on the second panel, and also on AP panel. I want to move to DFAT, but need to get a realistic idea of how many are ahead of me and what is involved in screening before I pass up a promotion chance (money is money!)

Thanks

1) How many of the 60 initially called to stage 4 interview were placed on first panel?

Finally:
    4)What exactly is involved in health screening etc? Do they send you for health tests, or just check your references, or ??

I'm placed on the second panel, and also on AP panel. I want to move to DFAT, but need to get a realistic idea of how many are ahead of me and what is involved in screening before I pass up a promotion chance (money is money!)

Thanks

Answering 1 and 2: No idea, but I was not in the initial 30 (although close) and have just started the screening process.

3. I know that some are starting in April.. Not sure if anyone has already.

4. It's a declaration form.

• Advertisement

Finally:

Thanks

1.) I don't know either... but I would imagine most of the 60 made it through and the final interview was more a means of ranking than eliminating. I'm going on the assumption that there are 50-60 on that panel.

3.) I believe so... or there or thereabouts.

Answering 1 and 2: No idea, but I was not in the initial 30 (although close) and have just started the screening process.

3. I know that some are starting in April.. Not sure if anyone has already.

4. It's a declaration form.

Thanks for this update! Good to know they're clearing the first panel gradually.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Zelenovi

Finally:

1) and 2) Not super sure, but I was in the first 30 of the first batch that went through Stage 4. Judging by @maviesk 's experience, it looks like they've already finished with those initial 30.
    Not sure what you mean with 'first panel' (not v familiar with PAS/civil service terminology yet :)

3) Yes, a source told me some Third Secs had already started a few weeks ago. This would make sense because when I was asked my preferred start date I was told there were immediate vacancies to fill. There must have been people ahead of me who were available to start immediately.

4) 'Health screening' as such isn't really a thing, as a previous poster has said, it's literally just a declaration form.
    The other steps involved in obtaining clearance I've listed in my last post a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 eeejay

AngelMae wrote: »
    Results from last week's stage 4 interviews went out today, it says that the 'precise number of vacancies to be filled from this competition will be determined shortly'.

Unclear as to how many from last year's stage 4 panel are still to be cleared before this panel begins, but hopefully it will be moving quickly!

Just wondering when you say scores do you mean per section/competencies etc.
    Or does it mean that places have been issued on a new panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Vakhta

eeejay wrote: »
    Just wondering when you say scores do you mean per section/competencies etc.
    Or does it mean that places have been issued on a new panel?

Both!

Just to let you all know that I’m in the top end of the panel that’s just been formed from the February Stage 4 interviews, and got an email today asking me to start clearance. So they’re obviously moving quite quickly through it, I thought it would be another few months

AngelMae wrote: »
    Just to let you all know that I’m in the top end of the panel that’s just been formed from the February Stage 4 interviews, and got an email today asking me to start clearance. So they’re obviously moving quite quickly through it, I thought it would be another few months

Looks like there are quite a few going through clearance, myself included. Wishing everyone a smooth process!

I'm outside the top ten on the second panel (formed from February 2019 interviews) and I have also been called to vetting this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2 johnelusive

Does anyone know how many Third Secs DFAT intend to hire from this panel in total? Has the 'precise number of vacancies to be filled from this competition' been determined (as mentioned in an earlier post)?

I haven't had any further information on the precise number of vacancies to be filled, but they do seem to be moving rather quickly.

Presuming clearance goes smoothly, am I correct in assuming that a start date could be in 3-4 months time? From reading back over the thread that seemed to be about right, but am curious if anyone has better information on timeframes. I've just been offered another position that I was going to take as I wasn't sure if a third sec place would come up, but am now wondering if I should turn that down and wait it out for 3-4 months. Which would be fine, but 6 months or more would be a bit much to wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭TemptationWaits

Am really delighted to start the clearance process but to be honest I’m also having some second thoughts. From what I’ve heard it’s definitely a very glam and interesting position but wondering if any existing third secs could talk about the personal downsides we were all told about (missing the funerals etc.). Also is the advancement rate as slow as has been made out? as accepting would involve me taking a pretty substantial pay hit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 CocoD

Stage 4 March interview panel results have gone out today. I have been placed in the top ten and am wondering do I stand a chance? There seems to be a huge intake of people ahead of me so I'm not sure if there are any more jobs left? How many people are there normally in each panel?

CocoD wrote: »
    Stage 4 March interview panel results have gone out today. I have been placed in the top ten and am wondering do I stand a chance? There seems to be a huge intake of people ahead of me so I'm not sure if there are any more jobs left? How many people are there normally in each panel?

You probably have something of a shot! From previous replies, it seems that they have called past 10 but not up to 15 on the second panel at the present moment, and it's been less than a month since that panel formed. I'm not sure how many are on that panel altogether but I suspect it may be 20-30. These panels last for up to 18 months, so you may have to wait quite a while until people either retire, leave, or turn down a posting and take other jobs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Susurrus

CocoD wrote: »

I'm in the same boat as you, in the top 10 for this third panel. Same worry over whether it'll come to us, but I'm rationalising it by thinking that I can't imagine PAS's budget is so generous as to allow them to organise interviews and form a third panel if they didn't at least reasonably expect to offer a few people from it positions. We may just have to wait a fair while. I'm a few months into a job I got after I wasn't initially called following round 2, so I'm happy enough where I am for the moment, hope your situation is similar!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 whrc

Susurrus wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as you, in the top 10 for this third panel. Same worry over whether it'll come to us, but I'm rationalising it by thinking that I can't imagine PAS's budget is so generous as to allow them to organise interviews and form a third panel if they didn't at least reasonably expect to offer a few people from it positions. We may just have to wait a fair while. I'm a few months into a job I got after I wasn't initially called following round 2, so I'm happy enough where I am for the moment, hope your situation is similar!

That makes three of us, CocoD and Susurrus! Hoping too that people from the third panel will be offered positions.

I just came across this thread today! Thank you to all who have shared information, especially about the clearances/police certificates.

All the best.

Susurrus wrote: »

I think making a panel without a single job to offer those on it is particularly crazy indeed! So I'd say your logic there is sound. I'm on the second panel and would expect to be basically next in line to go through clearance (fingers crossed of course). I'll try update if/when it happens so you may get a better idea of your timeline then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ladda

I’m in the same boat. Received feedback today from last week’s Stage 4 interview and am also in the top 10 on the panel. Let’s see where this goes... Good luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 novamalina

Am really delighted to start the clearance process but to be honest I’m also having some second thoughts. From what I’ve heard it’s definitely a very glam and interesting position but wondering if any existing third secs could talk about the personal downsides we were all told about (missing the funerals etc.). Also is the advancement rate as slow as has been made out? as accepting would involve me taking a pretty substantial pay hit

Hello! Couldn't let this pass without comment.

TL/DR: If you are already in a good job that stimulates you, pays you well, and has a good career path ahead, reconsider.

The TL version:

It's not at all glam. The occasional canapé loses its sheen very quickly. You will not be rubbing shoulders with the great and the good. Maybe you'll get to touch a hem. Which can be nice. But anyone trying to convince you being a third sec is 'glam' is trying to convince themselves.

Vast swathes of the work are not especially interesting, if 'interesting' means (as most people seem to apply it to DFAT) 'to do with international relations'.

At HQ: There are only so many spots working on nuclear non-proliferation or Latin America and, cumulatively, plenty in things like corporate services and Trade Division and the section that oversees business planning. Granted though, you'll only ever have to be in any given position for a limited time. But it can be a long limited time. Even in the 'interesting' sections, a third secretary will do a lot of copying and pasting and collating briefs. In general, the work is not massively intellectually stimulating and you will in most cases have limited opportunity to immerse yourself properly - which may or may not be important depending on your personality. It's very much a department of generalists.

Outside HQ: Most missions are very small (2/3 diplomats). When you go on posting you will effectively be an office manager, inputting local staff annual leave into spreadsheets, grappling with whether the paperclips should be bought from petty cash or not, trying to figure out arcane details of the country's labour code, processing visas. It won't exclusively be this but it will take up a lot - potentially the bulk - of your time on very many postings and you won't avoid it even at first sec level.

Posting can be lonely, not just personally but professionally (whatsapping colleagues will be your main outlet), and although there are practical, structural supports in terms of getting you set up abroad no one is going to be checking in on your welfare once you're gone. You (and your family) will make a lot of personal sacrifices and you will often wonder what it's all for.

The plus side to postings:
    - You get to live abroad without any of the usual practical stresses moving abroad entails, and what you make of that is up to you. (Weather! Languages! Regional travel! Food! Bizarre hobbies!)
    - Depending on your ambassador, and any abeyance in the stream of administrative tasks coming at you, you can largely make the job your own: Decide you're going to get mad into the energy policy of the place, or that you want to start an Irish film festival, or that you're bringing over a troupe of clowns to tour a mimed reflection on the Good Friday Agreement.
    - Being a diplomat still opens doors in certain respects, so if you have the inclination/personality you can meet all sorts of people, see all sorts of things.
    - Depending on your financial demands, the allowances and cost of living in several cases mean you can put away quite a nest-egg.
    - In a similar vein: Recalling that your rent paid is paid for you will on some days be the one thing that gets you through.

Progression: Only just shaking off the effects of the hiring freeze, so third secs who have been in a decade as well as those hired more recently (3-4 years ago) are moving up. Should in principle continue at this latter pace but given the colossal numbers of third secs coming in at the moment I wouldn't be sure.

Thanks for all this info, very useful!

Curious to hear, if you can share, how assignments are doled out, both when you start and as you're moved around? Is it completely the luck of the draw and generalist or are you even loosely directed more towards positions that match with your background/qualifications?

josbh9 wrote: »

Curious to hear, if you can share, how assignments are doled out, both when you start and as you're moved around? Is it completely the luck of the draw and generalist or are you even loosely directed more towards positions that match with your background/qualifications?

Also curious to know if this system has changed since the time of Eamon Delaney's book (i.e. a list of available postings which you rank according to preference and which is ultimately decided following internal discussions at DFAT).

In addition to Josh's question, I'm also wondering what the situation is for LGBT staff/their family members.. Is this accounted for in the process? Some places are less than friendly and won't, of course, issue visas to same sex spouses for example..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 novamalina

josbh9 wrote: »

I have a primary degree in something to do with a region generally considered unattractive; when I started, I mentioned it to a longer-serving colleague whose reaction was "Fair play, that's a sure way never to be sent there!" I won't say the approach is quite that contrary, but it's just not a big enough service to put, say, someone with fluent Arabic and a PhD on the Six-Day War predominantly (maybe even ever, if you were consistently unlucky with availability) on the Middle East desk or on posting in the region.

When you start at HQ, you'll be put wherever someone is needed at that point - so if there is any connection with your background/interests it'll be happenstance more than anything else. Had I started a week or a fortnight later than I did I would have had an entirely different first assignment. Higher up the food chain there's some leeway to pursue particular assignments but, again, it's limited. Whatever is available at your level is what's available.
    Also curious to know if this system has changed since the time of Eamon Delaney's book (i.e. a list of available postings which you rank according to preference and which is ultimately decided following internal discussions at DFAT).

Nope, still order of preference. The overall list is then presented to the Management Board for a confab and their imprimatur (possibly after some horse-trading on popular postings) but preference is the prevalent factor.
    In addition to Josh's question, I'm also wondering what the situation is for LGBT staff/their family members.. Is this accounted for in the process? Some places are less than friendly and won't, of course, issue visas to same sex spouses for example..

It would be up to the officer to place those locations lower down their list (or with no preference indicated beside them) and you can also submit a letter outlining why you're less/not willing to go to certain locations (applicable not just for LGBTIQ+ people but, for instance, if there are health/family/other personal reasons) and that is taken into account. The Department is, all things considered, fairly decent on LGB matters (I think they've yet to be tested on TI+).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Brooke1751

Was reading F O'Toole's article in the Times today (the site won't allow to include the URL but it's the April 2nd edition) and came across this:

" It is not irrelevant that the diplomatic service perhaps attracts more ambitious people and gives them more autonomy in their jobs [compared to other branches of the Irish civil service]."

Any thoughts? I know the posts on this board are mostly competition-related/practical, but I see there's been a more generally discussion about the role of diplomat/Third Sec in the last while. From above remarks it seems like there's a good deal of autonomy/not much oversight during overseas postings, esp. in small embassies, but I wonder does that hold true for work back in Dublin? I've also long wondered how necessary it is to toe the official line on various aspects of Irish foreign policy: would an intelligent--and therefore potentially partially critical--defense of govt. policy be allowed, even perhaps encouraged (since it might be more convincing)? Or would anything like that just land you in hot water?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sona7341

Brooke1751 wrote: »
    Was reading F O'Toole's article in the Times today (the site won't allow to include the URL but it's the April 2nd edition) and came across this:

" It is not irrelevant that the diplomatic service perhaps attracts more ambitious people and gives them more autonomy in their jobs [compared to other branches of the Irish civil service]."

Any thoughts? I know the posts on this board are mostly competition-related/practical, but I see there's been a more generally discussion about the role of diplomat/Third Sec in the last while. From above remarks it seems like there's a good deal of autonomy/not much oversight during overseas postings, esp. in small embassies, but I wonder does that hold true for work back in Dublin? I've also long wondered how necessary it is to toe the official line on various aspects of Irish foreign policy: would an intelligent--and therefore potentially partially critical--defense of govt. policy be allowed, even perhaps encouraged (since it might be more convincing)? Or would anything like that just land you in hot water?

I think your question about autonomy has to be considered in light of the role we are discussing here, Third Sec, and also with whom you are intelligently discussing or challenging government policy.

The role of Third Sec was ably described by a poster above not too long ago. You are the lowest rung on the diplomatic ladder and therefore autonomy is apportioned in light of that e.g. there is little in matters of policy and generally everything else as well. You find what the established position is and stick to it. If a new position is to be adopted, it emerges from consideration at higher levels.

O'Toole is broadly referring to the highest rungs of the diplomatic service where autonomy is permitted not because of their intelligence analysis of policy topics, but through the lived and invaluable inexperience of deftly navigating international and multilateral fora, relationship building and ability in making things go Ireland's way.

And in terms of intelligent analysis, inclusive of critical challenge, I doubt there could be any such exercise done by a new entrant that the incumbents have not heard before. Foreign policy is a matter of increments and precedence, it's also richly complex as it is wound through our membership of the EU and the years of bilateral and multilateral relationship building that have preceded it. It is also done under constant scrutiny of and engagement with civil society. In terms of autonomy on posting, it's autonomy to do what? Diplomacy is relationship building, foreign policy comes from Dublin and domestic policy from the rest of the government departments.

If the question is 'can you change policy from the inside if you have smart arguments?', well maybe you can contribute to change in small and tiny incremental ways as Third Sec through how you approach the body of work assigned to you at HQ but it's a long game in the hope of amassing experience and therefore rank that can afford you the measure of autonomy that is sought after.

Ultimately this is a career for generalists and those who find satisfaction in learning new domains and embracing the challenge of change. Diplomacy is like many careers for generalists, it's a lot of coordination and adminstration but I for one am much more motivated to do that in the department (where I work now) than elsewhere, having tried it out. I didn't have an expectation of enacting change, but instead I expected to learn about different topics and domains which I find fascinating.

Though this thread makes Third Sec seem like something mystical, at the end of the day it's a job and diplomacy, a career. There will be enjoyable parts, less enjoyable parts, infuriating days and motivating days. The same can be said for any job. The ethos of public service is strong too, which can be said of any civil service job but at the same time, it's differentiated from the rest of the civil service with that link to the rest of the world, which for me is enticing.

Apologies for typos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Brooke1751

Thank you for providing such a thoughtful response!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Vakhta

Hi all, quick question about the security certifications for countries we've lived in - I have been told that my clearance is going to going to take another month... Assuming it comes through all clear (!), will this delay have any impact on getting an offer?

Bit concerned that if it takes too long all the places will be taken! Thanks!

Vakhta wrote: »
    Hi all, quick question about the security certifications for countries we've lived in - I have been told that my clearance is going to going to take another month... Assuming it comes through all clear (!), will this delay have any impact on getting an offer?

Bit concerned that if it takes too long all the places will be taken! Thanks!

I don't think you should be worried. They wouldn't call you to clearance if there weren't sufficient posts. The present panel hasn't moved in nearly a month so the only impact it might have is what precise role you end up doing when you eventually get started. That's a lottery anyway, so I wouldn't worry.

• Advertisement

Does anyone have any experience with it being impossible to get police clearance for a foreign country? If so would love to hear how you dealt with it! Thanks

Does anyone have any experience with it being impossible to get police clearance for a foreign country? If so would love to hear how you dealt with it! Thanks

Are you struggling to get a response from another country or are they saying they can't issue you a certificate due to the nature of your residency there?

I'm now at the stage of waiting for DFAT to contact me directly about my appointment. It took me just over a month from receiving the e-mail regarding the start of the clearance process to get to this point. Hoping this last step won't take too long..

Are you struggling to get a response from another country or are they saying they can't issue you a certificate due to the nature of your residency there?

I'm now at the stage of waiting for DFAT to contact me directly about my appointment. It took me just over a month from receiving the e-mail regarding the start of the clearance process to get to this point. Hoping this last step won't take too long..

I have gotten response from the country that I need to present to a police station in the country (no possible for me) with the passport showing my visas (don’t have it anymore) ... so feeling a bit sickened

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sona7341

I have gotten response from the country that I need to present to a police station in the country (no possible for me) with the passport showing my visas (don’t have it anymore) ... so feeling a bit sickened

First step, don't despair!

A) Approach the contact point for vetting in PAS. Explain it will not be possible to get the vetting for that country from abroad. Ask what they recommend. You will not be the first person to encounter this.

B) Approach the embassy of that country or consulate. If not resident, there will be one in London, call them and ask. As above you are unlikely to be the first person to ask about getting this.

C)There is a difference between police clearance and many of the processes other countries have. For example, I had to get 5 "clearances" and for some it came from the police, from others I got an extract for the criminal record showing they had no records for me (aka therefore I have no criminal record). That wasn't police clearance and it was just fine. Just a note! May not be relevant.

Don't be disheartened, it's not the end of the road, just bureaucracy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 turkirish113

Anyone from the second panel (February Interview) have any idea roughly where they've got to on the list in calling people forward for clearance? I was placed 21, and I understand they've reached past 10, but can't really get any clarity over what that means regarding timetables for potential spaces opening up?

• Advertisement

Anyone from the second panel (February Interview) have any idea roughly where they've got to on the list in calling people forward for clearance? I was placed 21, and I understand they've reached past 10, but can't really get any clarity over what that means regarding timetables for potential spaces opening up?

I'm in a similar boat, though not too far off the top 10. Given I haven't been called yet, I suspect they're in the low-mid teens of our panel and not moving for now. Being hopeful, we might be called any time in the next 6 months or so, depending on uptake of those ahead when they get postings. I'm similarly unsure how to view it. Obviously there's an entire panel after us, but things seem fairly settled for now. I would say there's a reasonable chance within 12 months of hearing something, but I'm not assuming we will hear imminently or anything.

I'm in a similar boat, though not too far off the top 10. Given I haven't been called yet, I suspect they're in the low-mid teens of our panel and not moving for now. Being hopeful, we might be called any time in the next 6 months or so, depending on uptake of those ahead when they get postings. I'm similarly unsure how to view it. Obviously there's an entire panel after us, but things seem fairly settled for now. I would say there's a reasonable chance within 12 months of hearing something, but I'm not assuming we will hear imminently or anything.

Also in a similar situation. It's anyone's guess when we might get called, but I would hazard a guess at between the low teens to the end of this panel (estimating maybe it runs to 30?) could be called. For whatever it's worth I was surprised how quick they were starting on our panel, so generally imagine it might move quicker than we expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cadet123

Long time lurker here, thanks for all the information! Has anyone heard anything recently? The last info I got was 2 months ago with the stage 4 results.

cadet123 wrote: »
    Long time lurker here, thanks for all the information! Has anyone heard anything recently? The last info I got was 2 months ago with the stage 4 results.

Was on the phone to them last week, they've taken on up to number 15 on the second panel (february interview)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cadet123

Was on the phone to them last week, they've taken on up to number 15 on the second panel (february interview)

Great thanks for that! I wonder if they'll keep going through the panel or just move to the next one

I think they have only called that many to vetting stage - not sure how many (if any) of those have actually gotten an offer. I am in that number and in a vetting limbo.

Great thanks for that! I wonder if they'll keep going through the panel or just move to the next one

The normal course of things I think would be to work through everyone placed on that panel in chronological order before they'd move to the next one. Although if they're already at 15 I wouldn't imagine there's a massive number left on that panel.

The remaining folks on the second panel are ahead of the third panel. So may be more helpful to think of the the whole thing as one panel. There were 60 or so on the first panel, at least 21 on the second though I'd imagine it's close to 30. So they are on #75 and will move to c. 80-90 before going to the next panel.

Some welcome news for panel lurkers I suspect! I just got invited to vetting and gather they can't be far off 20 on the second panel based on my place. It took about 2 months from placement on this panel to the invitation. I hope it proceeds quickly for anyone else waiting!

Was called to complete the e-vetting there about 2weeks ago, anyone have any idea of a rough timeframe on this stage of the process? ie time from vetting/clearance beginning to job offer?

• Advertisement
Advertisement