Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netbook wallpaper - unusual size - how to?

• 13-12-2008 5:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,487 ✭✭✭✭

My netbook has a screen format of 1024x600
    Now if I resize my photos to that they all look distorted of course.
    Can anyone here offer any advice on how to choose a 1024:600 ratio sized frame on my pictures so I can use them as wallpapers.

Ideally i'd like to keep this ratio in as large size as possible as when i use RDP and display on my main monitor, or just output through the vga port, which is considerably larger I'd like the picture to still have good quality.

Not asking much eh?

Anyone have advice?, please keep it simple for me :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I usually put a black border around the image to make it fit in without skewing or cropping the image :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

On XP, I had black background and the picture just placed in the middle. Vista looks a little more complicated because it is simplier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,487 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Is it possible to make a frame with that ratio I can move around the picture so I can have the content in the right place if that makes sense, and then cut that selection and save as a new image?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

If your image is larger than the 1024x600 and you choose centered in your background settings then on your netbook it will center croping out anything more than the 1024x600 pixels but i suspect your image is from a multi megapixel camera hence 1024x600 only represents a postage stamp part of the image and you want to get the whole image or as much of it as is possible onto both displays.

Start with a crop using a ratio of the larger display. Use some software like the Gimp that will allow you specify non normal crops (Tools->Transform Tools->Crop :: fixed aspect ratio in the Gimp). Crop the image such that it produces an image that is visually desireable to have on your desktop.

Then resize (Image->Resize Image in the Gimp) the resultant image to the larger display size. Then choose centered on your background settings on your netbook.

Your larger display should have the full image and the smaller display (netbook screen at 1024:600) should center the image and automatically crop even portions off the image.

Because the smaller display will crop the background when it centers it you need to make sure the crop'd image doesn't crop in too tight on the detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tanora78

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The screen dimensions of a netbook are actually 1024 x 576 which is 16:9 or widescreen or HDTV depending on who you're asking. Picassa will crop to these dimensions, just scroll down and you'll see '16:9 HDTV' as the second last option.

If you're using a more manual method like an older version of Paintshop Pro, you need an aspect ration of 1.777777.

Advertisement