Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars - The old republic - trailer!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

I approve of the stylized design of the game tbh, it looks pretty damn cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Meh

Im sure theyre glad you approve of the stylized design V!alli :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Bolgey

just hope they bring out a console version of the game, and i wouldn't mind a single player campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Bolgey wrote: »
    just hope they bring out a console version of the game, and i wouldn't mind a single player campaign

It's an MMO, so that most likely won't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Bolgey

kyub wrote: »
    well, they are looking into them and have the console versions as 'under construction'. beside that, you would be able to play a mmo through Live and PSN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

I hope not. If they were working on the game being playable on consoles, it would effect the end product for us PC gamers in a negitive way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

No for consoles!!!

Cannot wait for this game... but ALL Jedi?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

Bolgey wrote: »

:rolleyes: it's an MMORPG...

Is it just me, or do the LS hilts look huge?? Obviously we're a good bit from Beta yet, so this could well change, but as it stands they are very very big...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

:rolleyes: it's an MMORPG...

Is it just me, or do the LS hilts look huge?? Obviously we're a good bit from Beta yet, so this could well change, but as it stands they are very very big...
    I think this is intentional, as they want to be able to have saber customisations, and if they were tiny, you'd not be able to see them. I think i read that somewhere....not sure where though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Yeah most people on the forums at the Old Republic site hate the big hilts.

I too think they look stupid as hell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

kyub wrote: »

Let's hope lots and lots of lessons have been learned from SWG then...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Meh

Im sure theyre glad you approve of the stylized design V!alli :P

I would hope they do, considering how important my opinion is :pac:

Kiith wrote: »
    I think this is intentional, as they want to be able to have saber customisations, and if they were tiny, you'd not be able to see them. I think i read that somewhere....not sure where though.

They look so bad though.
    Holsten wrote: »
    I too think they look stupid as hell.

Damn straight.
    Wertz wrote: »
    Let's hope lots and lots of lessons have been learned from SWG then...

A lot of people are drawing comparisons between the two. I don't think we need to worry too much about how SWG turned out when looking at SWTOR. They are too totally different games developed by two totally different developers. SWTOR will succeed or fail on its own merits.

On a seperate note, what does annoy me is all the people on the SWTOR site claiming that this is going to be the greatest game ever. Don't get me wrong, I'm as hardcore a SW fan as any, but I've seen many LucasArts projects fail, and get very annoyed when people blindly claim that something will be amazing just because its SW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Its not just cause its SW, I'd say its more cause its KOTOR. Did you play that? Theres not been a better star wars game since the 1st Kotor.

Hell theres not been a better star wars anything since Kotor.

About the lightsabers:

I'm wondering if its red for people on the darkside and blue and green for the Jedis.

I hope so. It would be stupid if people who are meant to be good are running around with red lightsabers.

So I'm thinking maybe the hilts are big since people can't pick colours for the sabers like pink etc I dunno

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

you have to remember its a online game so it has to appeal to everyone and there are non force characters you can choose to be, that was mentioned somewhere, the trailer said more content that all other bioware games combined. Your saber will have to be fully customizable with a vast array of crystals that will all change the colour, brightness, thickness of the blade and i would aslo assume hilts are customizable as well.

i also suspect you will be able to choose the appearance of our character in such amazing different ways and detail, not the clothing your actual characters look.

the game has to be focused on letting the player emerse themselves in the game/sw universe and for that to happen you can be who you want to be in the game - total character customization

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

This seems like a really bad idea, I'm seriously disappointed they would turn the KOTOR line into an MMO. The first KOTOR was absolutely ground breaking and quite possibly my favorite RPG since FF7. For them to go down this route can only cheapen the brilliance of that to me.

From what little I saw of the artwork it actually looks a little wowish, not saying that is definitive but certain elements just seemed kind of cartoony. I am not into hyper realism but still, the impression I get is that they are making this game for a wide audience and that crap works for blizzard.

Something also tells me this will not be a pvp oriented game but rather more focused on raiding and questing, the worst part of MMO's. Bah.

As for this talk of greater story involvement I am wary, no MMO to date has pulled off the story thing for me, I seriously resented the forced storyline of Conan for instance.

All I'm sayin is I'm skeptical at best for how this is going to turn out.

well i two dont a single player game but tbh i dont think this game will be as good as the 2nd one (which wasent even fished when it came out) and like you said the first one is one of the best RPG's so it wont even come close to that.

I still expect to enjoy the game though. Still chances ill actually play it are 1 in 4 because ive never got into a mmo because it takes allot of time and ive picked 4 rpg's and which ever one i enjoy the most is the one ill play full time.

Star Wars the old repiblic
    Star Trek Online
    Stargate although- http://www.days-since-cheyenne-mountain-employees-have-been-paid.com/)
    Firefly

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    Its not just cause its SW, I'd say its more cause its KOTOR. Did you play that? Theres not been a better star wars game since the 1st Kotor.

Hell theres not been a better star wars anything since Kotor.

That still doesn't justify the expectations of many that this game cannot fail. Don't get me wrong, I'm as excited as anyone. I love Star Wars, and loved MMOs (particularly RPGing), but I hate when people follow summit blindly. You are right, KOTOR1 was one of the finest moments in the SW franchise - but KOTOR2 was one of its lowest ebs; the game being released unfinished for a start...
    Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    About the lightsabers:

I'm wondering if its red for people on the darkside and blue and green for the Jedis.

I hope so. It would be stupid if people who are meant to be good are running around with red lightsabers.

This is something I always considered. I think being Jedi or Sith has a lot more to do than the colour of one's saber, and is something I think shouldn't be considered at all. If a Jedi uses a red lightsaber what of it - the Order is not about accessorising appropriately (getting a bit off point here - might raise a thread on it in SW forum).
    User45701 wrote: »
    the game has to be focused on letting the player emerse themselves in the game/sw universe and for that to happen you can be who you want to be in the game - total character customization

Nothing new here. SWG achieved this quite well imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Sadly, I dont think characters/classes/etc will be too customizable. It seems the more a developer harps on about how much free rein a player has, the more customisation they say is available, the more arcadey a game feels.

I do love Bioware and trust them more than most games developers, but I cant help seeing them falling into the same old traps that most games developers; developing MMOs, fall into.

Time will tell. Personally, I'll be avoiding all videos/blogs/podcasts about this game. The more hyped up it is, the more of a devastating failure it is likely to be. At least to me, anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I was an early adopter of SW:G...this game seems to be promising the same things that it did 5 years back, with elements of KOTOR (not a bad thing) and a more trusted developer, but I'll be approaching it a lot more warily. I don't know whether the "everyone's got a 'saber" thing is going to work...it's one of the main things that broke SW:G for me; jedi's were supposed to be rare to the point of non existence, an end game for the most dedicated or luckiest players, but even on the quietest servers in the latter stages, they were not a rare occurence and on the busy servers it was almost farcical the amount of people who were running around with force powers.
    Maybe The Old Republic will work better in that we'd already know that jedi/sith are common, but what about class and skill distinctions? SW:G worked well with many of it's other classes (even if there were some balance issues) and it was the diversity that added playability. I just can't see how they're going to make several classes out of what would be basically one. I hope I'm proved wrong, but like Ivan I won't be subscribing to the hype this time around...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

So long as I can play a SithBountyHunterStormTrooper or a BountyHunterSithStormTrooper its all good.

Nothing new here. SWG achieved this quite well imho.

i meant the appearance of ones character the face and build, i thought the character appearance in mass effect was great, you could decide on allot of different facial attributes and since SW TOR is newer i assume there will be a very advvanced/detailed options regarding your characters appearance

Advertisement