Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't people use the seatbelts on Matthews buses?

Options
  • 13-12-2008 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

This is something that I have noticed for a while. I'm living and working in Dublin but regularly use Matthews when going home for weekends. All the buses have seatbelts and yet nobody seems to use them. I think that in this day and age most people wear a seatbelt when travelling in a car, so why not in a bus? I know that a lot of people are used to buses not having seatbelts and for that reason don't think to use it. Or that people move around more on a bus and don't want to be restrained.

A couple of weeks ago I was getting the bus to Dublin on a Sunday evening (mostly students travelling). I'm not sure what was going on but the bus appeared to be pulled over by a garda car as it joined the motorway. Somebody got the (wrong) idea that they were checking seatbelts and everybody hastily began fastening them. As soon as the bus pulled off again all you could hear were the "clicks" as people unfastened their seatbelts! I can understand not putting it on in the first place, but why remove it when it's already on? :confused:

Anyone else noticed this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

What's a Matthews bus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭phenomenon

What's a Matthews bus?

Its a private bus service that operates between Dundalk and Dublin, usually used by the poorest in our society and those who can't afford the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭gipi

The Matthews bus service is used by commuters between Dundalk, Drogheda, Laytown/Bettystown and Dublin city - who appreciate being able to sit down (and breathe!) as they travel rather than doing a sardine impression on the train! Not sure where the "poorest in our society" comes from, it still costs €50 per week to travel on the bus!

Anyhoo to the original question - I use the seatbelt on the Matthews bus all the time. And yes, I'm usually the only one who does. Just one of those things that will take time to change - there is a % of people who still don't belt up in cars!

How many people use the seatbelts on Bus Eireann buses? From my experience, just as many as on the Matthews buses!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

gipi wrote: »
    The Matthews bus service is used by commuters between Dundalk, Drogheda, Laytown/Bettystown and Dublin city - who appreciate being able to sit down (and breathe!) as they travel rather than doing a sardine impression on the train! Not sure where the "poorest in our society" comes from, it still costs €50 per week to travel on the bus!

Anyhoo to the original question - I use the seatbelt on the Matthews bus all the time. And yes, I'm usually the only one who does. Just one of those things that will take time to change - there is a % of people who still don't belt up in cars!

How many people use the seatbelts on Bus Eireann buses? From my experience, just as many as on the Matthews buses!

I could have wrote that...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭StiffLitlemicky

phenomenon wrote: »
    Its a private bus service that operates between Dundalk and Dublin, usually used by the poorest in our society and those who can't afford the train.

:rolleyes:
    I know a millionaire that uses them buses.
    He's been banned from driving and doesn't use the train service because it's rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I don't mind admitting that I am financially sound and I use Mathews coaches.
    Much cleaner and presentable than our national buses and as for the trains going the same directions, they are just crowded cattle sheds on 4 wheels.

More comfort with Mathews definitely.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

There's a section in this forum's charter specifically devoted to trolling. Keep it up and you'll lose your posting privilages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭not14talk

Hester wrote: »
    A couple of weeks ago I was getting the bus to Dublin on a Sunday evening (mostly students travelling). I'm not sure what was going on but the bus appeared to be pulled over by a garda car as it joined the motorway. Somebody got the (wrong) idea that they were checking seatbelts and everybody hastily began fastening them. As soon as the bus pulled off again all you could hear were the "clicks" as people unfastened their seatbelts! I can understand not putting it on in the first place, but why remove it when it's already on? :confused:

LOL I was on that bus. :D

And it was very funny hearing all the clicks of the seat belts going on then once the women and her child (who wouldnt stop crying) gets on everyone takes off their seat belts.

More important question why dont the Matthews run a latter bus to Dublin like on a Thursday night after Dundalk games. They would make a mint if they even did one extra bus when Dundalk played.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I've sometimes used the seatbelts, but it depends what I'm carrying with me.

I find the seats a pain in the neck, literally. If I try to put my head back, I end up staring at the ceiling because the seats are so short. The new bus eireann ones are much nicer in that regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Obviously for the same reason that they don't use them on the BE buses...because they're stupid.

These idiots will be the first to call their solicitor in the event of them getting injured in any minor collision they may encounter along the route though, I can assure you of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

those who can't afford the train.

Well, the train to dublin after 9.30am is the same price as the bus to dublin so your comment is void , save those who most commute earlier.

not14talk wrote: »

More important question why dont the Matthews run a latter bus to Dublin like on a Thursday night after Dundalk games. They would make a mint if they even did one extra bus when Dundalk played.

Well, why not ask them? I noticed a sign on yesterday's bus about running a bus to the O2 (formerly The Point) on concert days. And I saw an advert for a bus service from Julianstown to SouthGate Shopping Centre (via Laytown/Bettystown I presume).

Check out their website, you can email general queries/suggestions. I'm sure Mr Matthews & Co will look at all opportunities to make a few bob these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Well, the train to dublin after 9.30am is the same price as the bus to dublin so your comment is void , save those who most commute earlier.

I was under the impression that the Matthews bus was 7e single and 12e return. If not I stand corrected.

Its worth pointing out that if you were commuting from Drogheda/Laytown/Gormanston before 9:30 on the train there is only one train that you wouldn't get a seat on. Also it seems to be cheaper. Depends where you're commuting to I suppose.

fh041205 wrote: »
    I was under the impression that the Matthews bus was 7e single and 12e return. If not I stand corrected.

You are correct, those are the single and return fares. There's also a 10 journey ticket, which costs €50, which is how you can get a €10 return on the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Then , apologys, I thought the Matthews fare was 10, not 7.

Or.. you know, people who like to travel in comfort and be able to actually move during said travel.

I, for one, LOVE Matthews buses. They're very comfortable, I always fall asleep on them, the drivers are always nice and mannerly, they stop 5 minutes from my front door and drop me in Dublin exactly where I want to be.

Their tickets don't expire, their 'return tickets' can be used in any direction.. I just think its a great service.

So much so, that I wouldn't care if Matthews doubled their price, I'd still use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

They do run a great service and actually have pleasant bus drivers!! :eek: The train station is too far out of the way so it's Matthews all the way..

As for seatbelts - they can be irritating but I do use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

not14talk wrote: »
    LOL I was on that bus. :D

And it was very funny hearing all the clicks of the seat belts going on then once the women and her child (who wouldnt stop crying) gets on everyone takes off their seat belts.

I was also on that bus and would agree about running buses after matches. I live in Dublin so it means i have to stay overnight and get an early bus in the morning if i want to get to a match. Hopefully there will be more matches on a Friday night this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Talula

I wear my seatbelt on the bus always! I hate public transport with the exception of Matthews buses. Kudos to the bus driver who got me home this evening. It may have taken nearly 2 hours (normally 45mins) but he played a blinder in the snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

My son just got accepted into the National College of Art and design in Thomas St in Dublin. Does anyone know if Matthews' coaches stop anywhere near it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Hi Ann

It's probably a 35mins walk from the last Matthews stop I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Hi Ann

He can simple get off the bus at the stop on Parnell St and walk 2 minutes around the corner to O connell st and get any one of a number Dublin buses to thomas street.

http://194.106.151.179/your_journey/viewer.asp?placeName=Thomas%20Street

Thanks for that:). He'l need a few practice runs, I don't know if he's going to end up staying up there. He's not looking forward to long journeys twice a day. If we don't qualify for a maintenance grant, he may have no choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Ann22 wrote: »
    Thanks for that:). He'l need a few practice runs, I don't know if he's going to end up staying up there. He's not looking forward to long journeys twice a day. If we don't qualify for a maintenance grant, he may have no choice.

It takes about 30 minutes to walk over to NCAD from Parnell Street bus stop. It may take just as long on the bus to travel there. However, one can get a bike into the boot of Matthews bus, free of charge. The bike journey may take 10 minutes

That might be an option...I think there's a stop for the Luas in Parnell st..that might be quicker.

There isn't a Luas stop in Parnell St, but there's a stop on Lower Abbey St, about 5 min walk or less from the Matthews terminus. Cross the road at the terminus and walk down Marlborough St, the Luas stop is to the right on Abbey St.

Thanks Gipi. That sounds near enough, once he gets to know where he's going.

Advertisement