Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Test Results for prison officer

Options
  • 13-12-2008 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I did a prison officer apptitude test in October, I just got my results yesterday and i placed 630. Im just wondering does anyone know how many prison officers they are recruiting. Below was my email:

Dear Brendan

I am pleased to inform you that you have reached the required standard at Stage 1 tests for the above competition.

Your place on the order of merit is as follows:

Recruit Prison Officer in the Irish Prison Service : Place 638

The next stage of the selection process will commence in February 2009; initially candidates placed up to and including place 60 will be invited to attend this stage.

The overall number to be called to the next stage of the selection process will be determined from time to time having regard to the recruitment needs of the Irish Prison Service. Should your place be reached you will be notified in due course regarding the date and venue to attend the next stage.

Feedback on your performance at Stage 1 will issue in early January 2009.

It says the next stage in February only includes the top 60 to be called to the next stage...

Does anyone know if I will be called at some stage next year? I dont really understand there email.

brendaN

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Smilingpanda

TBH you could well be waiting longer than a year to be called. They are calling everyone placed 60 and better first.They will see how many of these will move on to stage 3 and then move down the list and so on until they have the number they are looking for. This could take anything up to a year and a half from what Ive heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

This is basically a PFO letter . they're telling you that you haven't placed high enough in the order of merit but you MIGHT be called at some stage in the future.standard enough stuff letter for the civil service if they don't foresee enough candidiates taking the offer of positions or even turning up for interviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

there is a PO thread already discussing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 salut

Hi all,could anyone explaine to me why people with order of merit 1568 in the 2007 recruitment campaign are not being called for interview and yet they are calling people from 1-60 in february in the 2008 campaign?

salut wrote: »
    Hi all,could anyone explaine to me why people with order of merit 1568 in the 2007 recruitment campaign are not being called for interview and yet they are calling people from 1-60 in february in the 2008 campaign?

Because they have a fresh gene pool to choose from and the previous panel would be deemed obsolete now that the 08 campaign is running. Those panels only run up to a certain cut off point, because a placement is acheved it doesn't automatically guarantee an interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭macroman29

Dont know, I also passed and was placed 446. Can anybody tell me will i get an interview. Ive heard they are recruiting 100 this year 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Jenosul

I did my exam in april 2007...I did my interview in august 2008 then my medical in october. I got told I passed in december I still dont know when we do the fitness test or when training starts or if at all for ages cos of the recession...(they have stoped hiring civil services and the guards didnt even recruit before xmas as cut backs are being made etc!!!!!) It's a long process...I had even forgotten all about the exam until I got a letter in july. If I were you I would keep up work/college etc cos you dont kno when your going to be called if at all

Thanks Jenosul,
    Where were you placed in your exam ?. You were not waiting long for a interview.

Not as good as u I think I was number 1220 or something!! I did the exam in April 2007 and then my interview in august 2008 someone I kno was 1388 and they were not called for their interview yet but were asked to fill out the form of questions with your life experiences etc and send it back to them (that is what the interview is based upon really) and have heard nothing still.

Jenosul,

I think I have done reasonably well?? what do you think? I am lead to believe that the first 60 from this competition 2008 are being interview for 60 places along with 120 from the 2007 competition. 100 are being recruited from March to December. I might get an interview? What do you think? I am in the military don’t know if that will stand to me. Have you heard if the Thornton Hall development is going ahead i'm sure that will influence the recruiting?

• Advertisement

Yea I say it would help alright I am only 20 and have done alot of security work and they seemed impressed by that and nobody else had a security or military backround who was doing the interview. I think you did do well to be honest cos a lot of people do apply so I would say you should get and interview...well I did and I was placed in a much higher position then you eventho it took over a year to get called.
    There was about 20 people who went to the interview stage when I was doing it and I thought I wouldnt have a chance bacause I was the youngst and everyone was much older than I was but I think it was the fact that I did security courses and a diploma criminology that got me through it bacause a lot of people I think have not worked in that area and just apply bacause they seeit advertised and it's handy money!! My first choice was the gurads but I only got as far as the interview stage last time round so this will do for for now!!
    I bad thing about the whole process is that you have no idea when you are going to be called to do the interview or medical etc. I was going to go traveling but cant now because I have no clue when I have to take the fitness test eventhough I was told I passed the medical. Do you have any idea when training is ment to be starting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭321654

Thornton is being put on hold for now. Ive been told this unofficially so i dont know where you can find out the full story.

Part of the reasoning behind Thornton was to make money buy selling off the land that the existing facilities are on, which is not now feasible. So it will be a net loss rather than the massive windfall they were expecting.

If they don't develop thornton hall the government will lose a lot more money. They paid 200,00 per acre and the market value was 20,000 per acre total cost was 70 million. They can sit on the other prisons until the market improves. Most of the precast cells are made by a company in longford. I believe the next training is starting in March. I also was told the prison service is only recruiting as required which is (Personnel that retire 100 per year). Does anyone know the trend for interviews I’m told it could be up to a year before i get an interview if at all. And finally i'm 38 now with 21 years military service 9 trips abroad (Lebanon 4,Cyprus,Kosovo,Bosnia, Liberia, Chad,) need a career change. don’t know if my age will affect my application.

Jenosul wrote: »
    Yea I say it would help alright I am only 20 and have done alot of security work and they seemed impressed by that and nobody else had a security or military backround who was doing the interview. I think you did do well to be honest cos a lot of people do apply so I would say you should get and interview...well I did and I was placed in a much higher position then you eventho it took over a year to get called.
    There was about 20 people who went to the interview stage when I was doing it and I thought I wouldnt have a chance bacause I was the youngst and everyone was much older than I was but I think it was the fact that I did security courses and a diploma criminology that got me through it bacause a lot of people I think have not worked in that area and just apply bacause they seeit advertised and it's handy money!! My first choice was the gurads but I only got as far as the interview stage last time round so this will do for for now!!
    I bad thing about the whole process is that you have no idea when you are going to be called to do the interview or medical etc. I was going to go traveling but cant now because I have no clue when I have to take the fitness test eventhough I was told I passed the medical. Do you have any idea when training is ment to be starting?
    Ive heard the training is starting in march this year. Recruiting will continue as the need arises. 100 prison officers retire every year so this is all they will replace.

you placed relatively well in the order of things. you most likely will get a call but it might be later in the year. dont forget the celtic tiger is gone so people who would've turned down any state job in the past few years, won't now, so competition for places will be tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tots78

Do you think anyone who was placed in the first 1000 will be called for an interview?

What was the cut off point for last years interviews does anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭tommy57

hello all i had my interview in july 2008 ,had medical the same day told now waiting on security clearance all you can do is wait and see if you get called up. its a slow headwrecking process.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tots78

tommy57 wrote: »
    hello all i had my interview in july 2008 ,had medical the same day told now waiting on security clearance all you can do is wait and see if you get called up. its a slow headwrecking process.

Hi Tommy

When did you do your test and what place did you come ?

hows it going i placed in around 1100 not to sure did the exam in april 2007 ! its a long drawn out process its nearly gonna be 2 years since i done the exam ! as i said was told i was under consideration the end of july 2008 and in september i got in touch with public appointments and they said they were waiting on security clearance which can take up to 8 months apparantly

Hi
    I made enquiries about the 2008 competition and was told that 120 form the 2007 and 60from the 2008 comp are being interviewed in february. You could be getting the call soon best of luck. I sat the 2008 comp finished 404 might not get a interview at all this year ? with the current echo climate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 recruit po

I got 263, hoping to get called for interview.

Why are they still calling people from the 2007 competition? :confused:

not to sure nobody knows what their up to its all up in the air i,d imagine if there was a new recruitment they are finished with 07 then again who knows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 lavman

anyone hear anything yet? where did everyone come on the panel? i came 60 by the way things are going we're in for a long wait. does anyone have any info on any prep coures for the interview when it does come around

• Registered Users Posts: 4 _skellett_

my other half came 3rd in the 2008 test, Still hasnt heard bout the 2nd stage anything yet, he's 18. anyone heard anything>

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭lmmoonbeam1976

Iri$hKeLt wrote: »
    Hello,

I did a prison officer apptitude test in October, I just got my results yesterday and i placed 630. Im just wondering does anyone know how many prison officers they are recruiting. Below was my email:

Dear Brendan

I am pleased to inform you that you have reached the required standard at Stage 1 tests for the above competition.

Your place on the order of merit is as follows:

Recruit Prison Officer in the Irish Prison Service : Place 638

The next stage of the selection process will commence in February 2009; initially candidates placed up to and including place 60 will be invited to attend this stage.

The overall number to be called to the next stage of the selection process will be determined from time to time having regard to the recruitment needs of the Irish Prison Service. Should your place be reached you will be notified in due course regarding the date and venue to attend the next stage.

Feedback on your performance at Stage 1 will issue in early January 2009.

It says the next stage in February only includes the top 60 to be called to the next stage...

Does anyone know if I will be called at some stage next year? I dont really understand there email.

brendaN

Hi i also sat the exams the same time as you brendan..got placed 340 and have not heard anything back..i have relatives working in prisons in dublin..according to them .. Hoping to have at least 200 through the recruitment stage 2 before june/july so fingers crossed..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 _skellett_

know people in the jail, apparantly there are still 130approx qualifiers from 2007 still to be placed, arbour hill is due to take some, but its lookin like it'l be late this year early next year for them to accept the first lot of 60 so the prison service recruitment line said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

i placed 6th in 2008 after i failed physical in 07 by 4secs and havnt heard anything. my dad who is a po said they put on a 6month freeze in january so that means noboby will be getting any notification till prob july for interview/medical and the physical could be at least 4mths after that again so long wit ahead. last i heard there a class of 25 going starting in beladd in june. ive pretty much given up on it by now but with all the retirements maybe they might get a move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jason99

How did you find the 07 interview/medical?Was it tough?????

Advertisement