Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Audio

• 13-12-2008 7:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Apologies if this isn't the right forum for this, I have searched all over the forums and all I can find is a motors section with no "Car Audio" sub forum or the HE forum with no "Car Audio" sub forum. If there is a more appropriate forum please feel free to move this over.

I've just bought a 2nd hand Audi TT and want to upgrade the standard factory fitted audio system. I would appreciate recommendations on what model to get, where to buy and who to use to get it installed. The features I would like the system to have are:-

1. Ability to play music from an iPod. Ideally I would like it to have some sort of iPod dock built in so you literally 'click' your iPod onto it.
    2. Bluetooth handsfree built into it so I don't have to buy a seperate bluetooth hands free kit.
    3. Ideally DAB & FM

All feedback much appreciated.

Ben

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

i have a pioneer P85BT.

it has a special cable that connects to the ipod so that you can control the ipod from the head unit, it also charges the ipod.

and it has built in bluetooth for the phones

it only has FM, none of the Pioneer ones seem to have DAB yet.

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/25/121/61/DEH-P800BT/index.html

this is the new version of mine

i installed it myself, wasnt too difficult. im not familiar with the TT so havent a clue how hard it would be to fit it. give Halfords a shout, they seem to be good at doing installs

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ric1977

I recomend you a Blaupunkt system...
    this is a very good one:
    http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/hamburg.asp

I'll like to buy this too... the problem is i am not from Dublin, and i don't know any audio store address. I'll stay there for a few days... Do you know where i could find it?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi lads,

Ended up getting a Sony Bluetooth head set with iPod connection (doesn't charge the iPod :mad: ) and had it fitted by the muppets who sold it to me. They gave the car back to me after it had been 'fitted' and presumable tested and it was cr*p. The sound was totally distorted even at very low volume levels. Brought it back to them and they said it might need new speakers as the new head unit was more powerful than the old one. This tells me two things:-

1. They didn't test the sound when they fitted it
    2. They don't know what they are doing otherwise they would have ensured the head unit and existing speakers were a match.

Needless to say I didn't let them near it again so now my gig question is who can I get to install a new set of 13" speakers which will enable the unit to function properly? I've been told In Car Tech in Bray are good but their phone line seems to be disconnected.

Anyone got any suggestions of someone who knows what they are doing car audio wise?

Regards,

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Audi speakers are always quality. I'm on my third. It's more like they mismatched the system with your existing audio. If the speakers aren't up full blast, different power ratings won't matter as much as different ohmage. I'd get them to take it back unless they are complete muppets (the law/ consumer rights mean nothing to most of these guys).

You should post this in the 'motors' section. The guys there could bore you to tears with their knowledge. It does sound to me like they've given you the wrong spec equipment. There are lots of place that do car audio so finding a good place locally, recommended by someone who knows their stuff won't be difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Homer

OP where are you based? I drive by www.safesounds.ie on my way into town all the time in Drumcondra.
    They have been there a long time and their website certainly looks impressive.
    Alternatively www.scansounds.ie in Phibsboro? Same type of dealer.

These are just two that spring to mind on my side of the city!

Presuming you are in Dublin!

Care to let us know who botched the first job so others might not make the same mistake?!

/edit : just realised this is not that recent a thread apologies!/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Homer,

I'm based in Stillorgan. Can you recommend anyone over this neck of the woods? I've heard ICE Security in Ranelagh are good but I really want a qualified recommendation (from someone who knows something about this stuff) before I let anyone else loose on the car.

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭futurec

ICE in ranelagh do alot of the work for MSL garages ie: Grange and Ballsbridge Motors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tim.tim

SAFESOUNDS located in DRUMCONDRA can do any kinda job u think of as long its audio or car alarms,they have done an incredible job on my beemer and its amazing.they fitted the headrest screens,dash screens which wasnt easy,i recomend them for any one who wanna upgrade their beemer with IN DASH DVD SCREEN and not that flip out that blocks the air vents.

will post pics soon.

Advertisement