Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Off the road

Options
  • 13-12-2008 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

Is there a fine for not declaring your car is off the road, not taxed plated or insured? Not driving it of course!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

dont think such a form exists in this country, well not in the south anyway
    the uk have an off road form to fill in called sorn
    if your worried about having to tax an unused car, you dont have to if its not in use, unless its parked on a public street etc
    if its off the road in a driveway etc it does not need to be taxed until it goes back on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Got a letter from the Revenue (as far as I remeber) saying it wasn't taxed and I should inform the Gardai to get it "offical off roaded" or some such. No mention of punitive measures so I binned it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

best place for that letter, when it goes back on the road you can take the tax renewal form to the guarda station and tell them it was off the road and they will stamp it, this way you dont have to pay the back tax while it was sitting idle
    thats as much as i know on the subject

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

The usual motor tax renewal form RF100a allows you declare the car was off the road, however AFIAK you only do so when renewing the tax. Maybe you fill that in with zero payment due and get it witnessed by a Garda?

If you had at least 3 mths left on your tax disc you could have claimed a refund on the remaining time. I assume you're long past the renewal date if the Dept of Environ & etc were writing to you, so it too late to claim now.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭shaywest

once its not parked in a public place (big fine for no tax disk)you should be all right i have binned lots of those declaration letters,just ignore them.
    when you go to put it on the road again get the form stamped in the garda station to avoid back tax.
    dont worry be happy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

After about 2 - 3 tax renewal reminders in your post,you will get one with an option to say car is not in use so you tick the relevant box and hand it in to your local tax office,job done.

Its an import so it has never been taxed.

Im a bit scared now - back tax? I have to pay tax for it when it was off the road all that time? Wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,461 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Im a bit scared now - back tax?

No need to worry. If your car was never on the public road, you don't have to pay any motor tax. Once you plan to drive it, go to any Garda station and they'll sign a form where you declare it has been off the road until then. You'll only need to pay motortax from the first day of the month of the declaration date

You haven't mentioned it specifically, but from your posts I presume you had the car VRTd when you imported it. Otherwise the motor tax people wouldn't have sent you the motor tax forms!

OK thanks not so worried now!

I think I might appeal my VRT as it seemed a little bit of a massive rip off, might as well appeal it to get my €'s worth from the system. B*stards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Is there a fine for not declaring your car is off the road, not taxed plated or insured? Not driving it of course!

Thanks

Yes, legally, your car cannot be parked on a road if your not taxing her, as your using the road for parking purposes.... nothing is free,

if shes parked in your driveway, your grand or any of your own land...

your car will be lifted if reported to the gardi for no tax

happened to me,

cant fix a banger these days without having sgt mick mac arsehole come and beat you with the law under section 7.10 of the "I was bullied at school now im taking it out on you " act

• Advertisement
Advertisement