Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Octavia or C5 £5000

Options
  • 13-12-2008 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

Going North or over the water with £5k to get a motor for the wife.

Both these cars are available with high miles and desiel engines on 2005 plates.

Which would you go for?

Or is there some thing else I am missing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Considering the C5 looks like it was designed by a 2 year old with a spirograph, and has by far the blandest, ugliest dashboard of a car I've ever sat in, I'd say Octavia. Seriously, go sit in a C5. It's just an expanse of cheap ass black plastic, and a boring boring set of controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

ned78 wrote: »
    Considering the C5 looks like it was designed by a 2 year old with a spirograph, and has by far the blandest, ugliest dashboard of a car I've ever sat in, I'd say Octavia. Seriously, go sit in a C5. It's just an expanse of cheap ass black plastic, and a boring boring set of controls.

Thanks but its not for me , its for the wife and she could not give a rats.

I thinking more on the expense side, which would be more expensive to VRT , tax , insure, run,etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Thanks but its not for me , its for the wife and she could not give a rats.

She might not, but the next owner will, and the day you buy it, is the day you sell it. When you're finished with the car, you'll find an Octavia a lot easier to shift.

She might not, but the next owner will, and the day you buy it, is the day you sell it. When you're finished with the car, you'll find an Octavia a lot easier to shift.

thats a good point.

this car will be driven till it drops, then scrapped and another trip abroad in 8- 10 years.

so not really worried about selling on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Neither, Mazda 3 would be my choice.

Nice looking car, cheap to vrt ( only 135g emissions ), good 1.6 diesel with cheap road tax and Mazda I would guess would be more reliable than either a Skoda/Citreon.

Probably get a 05 one with low enough milage for about €8000 including vrt.

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ni/cars_popup.jsp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=block&sort=3&hassearched=Y&make=MAZDA&min_pr=75&source=0&model=MAZDA3&max_pr=&miles=1500&agerange=5&mileage=&postcode=m52ty&variant=&bodyid=2&trim=&fuelid=2&colour=&transmissionid=0&keywords=&ukcarsearch_full.x=28&ukcarsearch_full.y=18&start=4&distance=125&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200850325179757

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

The Octavia is technically a smaller car sitting in the class below the C5. It would still be my choice though out of the two because the old C5 was quite frankly a lump of sh1te. I would just avoid the base 1.4 litre model because it is in no way adequate enough to pull around a car of that size.

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Neither, Mazda 3 would be my choice.

Nice looking car, cheap to vrt ( only 135g emissions ), good 1.6 diesel with cheap road tax and Mazda I would guess would be more reliable than either a Skoda/Citreon.

Probably get a 05 one with low enough milage for about €8000 including vrt.

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ni/cars_popup.jsp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=block&sort=3&hassearched=Y&make=MAZDA&min_pr=75&source=0&model=MAZDA3&max_pr=&miles=1500&agerange=5&mileage=&postcode=m52ty&variant=&bodyid=2&trim=&fuelid=2&colour=&transmissionid=0&keywords=&ukcarsearch_full.x=28&ukcarsearch_full.y=18&start=4&distance=125&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200850325179757

Thanks Sqaull, something I had not considered, but looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

the octavia will last the 8 - 10 years if looked after. The C5 wont cos you wont be able to afford to keep it on the road with all the problems you'll have. Reliabilty is cruel and parts and servicing isn't cheap. (I used to try to sell them, unfortunately)

VolvoMan wrote: »
    the old C5 was quite frankly a lump of sh1te. QUOTE]

Thanks but I work for a company that had a few of these and they did 120k miles with no bother at all , that said they were fully serviced etc.

Have you had trouble with yours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Well Id have to argue that. Both are terrible sellers second hand in petrol but both are very good sellers second hand in diesel because both are crap in petrol and both are very good in diesel. Octavia is a Golf in drag so its smaller. In theory you get more car for your money with the C5. Given the choice (between these two) with my money it would be a diesel C5.

• Advertisement

Thanks but I work for a company that had a few of these and they did 120k miles with no bother at all , that said they were fully serviced etc.

Have you had trouble with yours

As with all things there is always an exception I suppose. Any car that is looked after will not give too much trouble but with a C5 you would really have to look after it very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 monty_mole

You can get a decent car for 5k in the uk.
    Picked up a 05 SAAB 1.9tid Vector sport 150bhp fully loaded for £4500.
    If your lookin at an octavia, you'd be interested in a passat too?,you can pick up a 04 or 05 PLate 1.9tdi HighLine Model, full leather,6cd,heated seats,aircon,cruise control, for between 4000 to 5000 with 80k on the clock.
    and cheap vrt.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    As with all things there is always an exception I suppose. Any car that is looked after will not give too much trouble but with a C5 you would really have to look after it very well.

How long did you own your C5 and what problems did it give?

How long did you own your C5 and what problems did it give?

Never had one, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,464 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

monty_mole wrote: »
    Picked up a 05 SAAB 1.9tid Vector sport 150bhp fully loaded for £4500.

Sweet deal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

I'd go for the C5 (ive got one BTW 01 130K miles, ticking like a clock) much bigger than the octavia (ive driven several and they are tiny inside. dont get me started on the vw/skoda interiors!!!!), much more comfy(nicer seats and hydraulic suspension), lots more stuff as standard (rain sensing wipers, automatic lights, etc etc)and id say you would get a beauty for 5k. as for them being more trouble, that was in the bx days, they can have quirky electrics but this is my third citroen and they have never let me down! Having said that the octavia seems to be more economical. (no official figures here just comparisons with the lads in work) hope that helps:)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

the octavia will last the 8 - 10 years if looked after. The C5 wont cos you wont be able to afford to keep it on the road with all the problems you'll have. Reliabilty is cruel and parts and servicing isn't cheap. (I used to try to sell them, unfortunately)
    never had no major problems with citerons(zx,cx,zm)bit of an urban myth i think myself

Advertisement