Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Good Christmas Present For The MMA Fan

Options
  • 13-12-2008 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭

I just felt compelled to post about this because it probably flies under the radar of most MMA fans

www.f4wonline.com

It's a website that covers MMA and pro wrestling. When it started off there was much more pro wrestling coverage but these days there's a lot of MMA stuff on it. Still more pro wrestling just due to the amount of stuff that goes on in wrestling compared to MMA, but I still think that it's a great website for a purely MMA fan

For less than €7.50 a month you can get access to the Wrestling Observer, Figure Four Weekly, and a ton of audio shows

There's at least one Wrestling Observer per week. I think it averages out at about six per month. Dave Meltzer has been writing the Observer for over 25 years and he has covered MMA since UFC 1. He's covered all the PRIDE shows and every other major MMA show since then. He was a judge at some early UFC events. He writes for Yahoo Sports at the moment too: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/expertsarchive;_ylt=AkzJAcU4YxE0dBRYIdaM2iSMFI14?author=Dave+Meltzer

The Observer is huge. Just to give you an idea, there were almost 14000 words written on MMA this week. Dave regularly talks to Dana White and Joe Silva, so he often breaks stories before anyone else. He also always gives a lot more insight than any other journalist that I can think of

There's a purely MMA audio show called Tough Talk. I'll give a link to a free episode of it at the end of the post. It's hosted by Oliver Copp, who does the German commentary for the UFC and attends most of the events, as well as some other journalistic work, and Mike Sawyer, who is a bouncer in Las Vegas and often has stories of his own about the various fighters passing through

Here's some of the people that they've had on their show: Bruce Buffer, Shonie Carter, Don Frye (awesome interview), Mike Goldberg, Marshall Zelaznik (UFC's guy in charge of their European operations), Doc Hamilton (MMA ref and judge), Phil Baroni, Mike Swick and they're going to have Marc Ratner (UFC vice president for regulatory affairs) and Dan Henderson on soon

There's another MMA show that's geared towards the more hardcore fan, Five Star Radio. That's hosted by Mike Coughlin, who is just an encylopedia of MMA knowledge. He gives some really great and detailed breakdowns of fights before and after them

There's also tri-weekly Wrestling Observer Radios with Dave Meltzer and Bryan Alvarez where they always cover some MMA

There's Figure Four Dailys each week with Bryan Alvarez where he interviews various people. Some of the MMA guests that he's had on are Dan Severn, Stephen Quadros, Rampage Jackson, Bas Rutten, Mauro Ranallo, Matt Lindland, Joe Doerksen, Carlos Newton, Don Frye, Frank Shamrock, Paul Lazenby (who fought in Pancrase and has some great stories about it), Butterbean, Bill Douglas (current head of the California State Athletic Commission, been on at least four times), Julie Kedzie, Bob Meyrowitz (original promoter of the UFC), Gina Carano, Ryan Bader, Josh Koscheck, and last month they had Fedor on, which was just...weird

There's the Bryan and Vinny Show where they recap MMA shows in a more...casual manner, I guess you could call it :pac:

You also get access to episodes of Wrestling Observer Live, a two hour weekly (previously daily) show that was at one point the most popular radio show on the internet. There's been a ton of MMA guests on that over the last ten years too

I'm not making any money off of any of this! I just think that it's a really good deal and I think that some people here might be interested in it but they mightn't know too much about it. In my opinion you get way more than your money's worth

Here's some links to free shows that they've done:

Tough Talk with Bruce Buffer: http://www.f4wonline.com/content/view/7620/105/

Five Star Radio covering the last WEC show as well as a load of other MMA news: http://www.f4wonline.com/content/view/7596/105/

Wrestling Observer Radio covering the fallout from Lesnar vs Couture: http://www.f4wonline.com/content/view/7461/105/

Take it or leave it :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

I've to agree with everything that fozzy said.Being a pro wrestling and MMA fan,it covers both for me.However,its equally as good if you're a fan of one and not the other.I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is a fan of either(or both).

Advertisement