Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cyclist crashed into my car

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

TimAllen wrote: »
    There seems to be some fairly militant cyclists out there.... anyone with similar experiences?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055437385
    I was cycling to work on the path and some freak comes up and drowns me and the others in the car are laughing at me, it was done on purpose. There's a truck in front of them and they come to a stop at the traffic lights at the army barracks.
    I cycled off the path and up to the driver side and kicked off his mirror. He was trying to get out a past the truck to catch me but luckily the lights were still red
    This was only about a month ago.
    Stupid car drivers:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭TimAllen

Plug wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055437385
    I was cycling to work on the path and some freak comes up and drowns me and the others in the car are laughing at me, it was done on purpose. There's a truck in front of them and they come to a stop at the traffic lights at the army barracks.
    I cycled off the path and up to the driver side and kicked off his mirror. He was trying to get out a past the truck to catch me but luckily the lights were still red
    This was only about a month ago.
    Stupid car drivers:D
    I take it that you enjoy trolling as a pasttime - you are on the motoring forum calling car drivers stupid.
    I dont for a second believe your Walter Mitty story of kicking off a car mirror - it would take sewveral attempts, as well as the agility of a kickboxer to take one off - go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

micmclo wrote: »

Yes, many cyclists are militant.
    If you posted this in the cycling forum you'd wouldn't get the sympathetic posts you'll get here.
    In fact, why didn't you post this in the cycling forum?

I suggest he would. Irish road design means that cycle lanes double as hard shoulders. This was just a stupid cyclist.

I take it that you enjoy trolling as a pasttime - you are on the motoring forum calling car drivers stupid.
    I dont for a second believe your Walter Mitty story of kicking off a car mirror - it would take sewveral attempts, as well as the agility of a kickboxer to take one off - go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here

I don't troll first of all. Do you think your internet hard because you have about 4 posts?:confused:
    I knocked that mirror off with a solid kick, steel cap boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Tim - there are people out there like that riding bikes, driving cars and trucks and vans and walking down the street.

There are some people who's ego is so up their own arse that they immediately assume that they've done nothing wrong. When they're in a collision, regardless of situation, they will immediately blame the other driver.

My mate's mum was filling up in a garage one day with her driver door open (parking with the pumps on the left). A guy was pulling out of the garage in an SUV with a trailer, caught her door on the trailer and ripped it off. He immediately jumped out and started lambasting her for having her door open, telling her that she was lucky he was in a rush or he'd be suing her for damages, and then jumped back into his car and drove off. She was in so much shock at his attitude that she apologised and forgot to get his details.

I'm not sure if it's pure pig-headed arrogance or if some people are just that vindictive.

For the record, I've done similar to what that cyclist did. In my teens, cycling home in lashing hailstones, so I had my head down (i.e. should have just hopped off the bike). The next thing I know I'm lying on the bonnet of a car that had parked in the cycle lane :o Bike was fine, I was fine but my ego was bruised. I just made sure the car hadn't been damaged and legged it with embarrasment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

JackFrosty wrote: »
    i believe in france now you must carry ahigh vis jacket in your car , this is a good idea
    all these things are cheap and could help save yours or someones life sometime,
    MYOB wrote: »
    I've also got the triangle/hiviz vest in my 'box of ****e' in my boot; never needed them to date but still...

In France the high viz jacket must be in the car itself not in the boot. a huge number of people have them draped around the driver's AND passenger's seat where they are easily accesed before you egt out of the car. It is a very dangerous to spend a few minutes rooting through your "box of ****e" in the boot while practically invisible in the dark following a breakdown. The supermarkets were selling two for €5 so most people have a second jacket for a passenger. Very useful.

I don't troll first of all. Do you think your internet hard because you have about 4 posts?:confused:
    I can smell the bullsh1t from here ... posting on a motoring forum with "stupid car drivers" = TROLL ... sell crazy somewhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

seamus wrote: »

There are some people who's ego is so up their own arse that they immediately assume that they've done nothing wrong. When they're in a collision, regardless of situation, they will immediately blame the other driver.

Part of this is shock and pain. When I stub my toe, I've stop myself lashing out at the stupid table or door that did it. If that doesn't satisfy I may pursue whom ever left them there in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The cyclist could just have been in shock.
    People react differently in accidents. Some lash out at everyone. I know when I was knocked down I laughed and it sounds realy stupid to laugh in such a situation but it's a reaction to control stress.

Hey, some people laugh & joke after funerals, some are crying wrecks and many just stay silent. It's all the same realy

That's all assumption though and mightn't apply here

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I can smell the bullsh1t from here ... posting on a motoring forum with "stupid car drivers" = TROLL ... sell crazy somewhere else

calm down ...both of you !

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »
    calm down ...both of you !
    Apologies ... this guy seems to advocate criminal behaviour and I felt his comment on stupid car drivers was deliberately provocative

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Go after him for the damage to your car OP.

You already have the Garda report which more than likely contains an admission of sorts from the numpty that he cycled into your car. That should quieten him.

Apologies ... this guy seems to advocate criminal behaviour and I felt his comment on stupid car drivers was deliberately provocative

I didn't actually mean 'stupid car drivers' hence the smiley. Criminal behavior? Soaking me with dirty water and then laughing at me, thats not on.

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Go after him for the damage to your car OP.

You already have the Garda report which more than likely contains an admission of sorts from the numpty that he cycled into your car. That should quieten him.
    Yea, could do but its just a scrape and its an old car so it doesnt really bother me ..... he will have enough to pay out on his bicycle. He claimed the bike was worth €1,500 - not anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Just wondering where this occured Tim?

Was there a hard shoulder and a cylcle lane or does the cycle lane double as the hard shoulder or vice versa?

I didn't actually mean 'stupid car drivers' hence the smiley. Criminal behavior? Soaking me with dirty water and then laughing at me, thats not on.
    When I dont mean stupid car drivers I just dont type it - simple concept, no? The smiley in no way made it look like you were joking in any way, it just reinforced your smugness at your little "victory"
    Criminal behaviour - yes, its criminal damage. I still dont believe your story but if it is true then you are no better than the average scumbag in Mountjoy. If caught you could even go to prison for such a deed

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Just wondering where this occured Tim?

Was there a hard shoulder and a cylcle lane or does the cycle lane double as the hard shoulder or vice versa?
    the hard shoulder doubled as a cycle lane - the cyclist felt he should have sole use of that section of the road! Personally I think that cycle tracks should be built seperate to the roadway, I see a lot of new ones being built lately that are on teh same level as the footpath, seems to be the way to go. Obviously public policy is to get cyclists off the main road and onto dedicated tracks - more of this please Minister!

When I dont mean stupid car drivers I just dont type it - simple concept, no? The smiley in no way made it look like you were joking in any way, it just reinforced your smugness at your little "victory"
    Criminal behaviour - yes, its criminal damage. I still dont believe your story but if it is true then you are no better than the average scumbag in Mountjoy. If caught you could even go to prison for such a deed

A lot of people on boards have a sense of humour;) If you don't believe my story, tuff! It happened about a month ago. Now please stop bothering me:rolleyes:

A lot of people on boards have a sense of humour;) If you don't believe my story, tuff! It happened about a month ago. Now please stop bothering me:rolleyes:
    You are posting on my thread, maybe you could just post elsewhere and you wont be bothered (just a thought). I certainly hope, for your sake that you are having a Walter Mitty moment, coz if it is true then I feel sorry for you - Its just a matter of time before you end up in jail, hospital or worse. Maybe you could look up anger management classes

You are posting on my thread

no such thing as "your" thread.

You may have started it, but leave the policing to the mods, okay?

• Advertisement

You are posting on my thread, maybe you could just post elsewhere and you wont be bothered (just a thought). I certainly hope, for your sake that you are having a Walter Mitty moment, coz if it is true then I feel sorry for you - Its just a matter of time before you end up in jail, hospital or worse. Maybe you could look up anger management classes
    Please give it a rest:pac:
    I don't think i'll end up in jail....

peasant wrote: »
    no such thing as "your" thread.

You may have started it, but leave the policing to the mods, okay?
    no problem ... i'm not trying to police it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

the hard shoulder doubled as a cycle lane - the cyclist felt he should have sole use of that section of the road! Personally I think that cycle tracks should be built seperate to the roadway, I see a lot of new ones being built lately that are on teh same level as the footpath, seems to be the way to go. Obviously public policy is to get cyclists off the main road and onto dedicated tracks - more of this please Minister!

I personally don't think cycle lanes should be separate ... perhaps for the kids etc ... but for anyone commuting or for a spin, making them drive on the road and enforcing the rules of the road for both cyclists and motorists would be the ideal scenario.

Have a look here for the state of dublin cycle lanes.

Also, once you put cycle lanes next to a footpath, it invariably brings cyclists and pedestrians into conflict.

If everyone showed a bit more regard and respect for other road users, accept their own vulnerability and be a bit more impatient ... then we would all be better off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Rosedale6

How did he crash into you car its big enough to see. Hes in the wrong as he should of been looking where he was going. Some cyclists think that they own the road and they don't even pay road tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Will I go to jail for removing a mirror?
    Criminal damage or hit-and-run, I guess.

Probably not jail time, but probably a conviction and a hefty fine.

I personally don't think cycle lanes should be separate ... perhaps for the kids etc ... but for anyone commuting or for a spin, making them drive on the road and enforcing the rules of the road for both cyclists and motorists would be the ideal scenario.

Have a look here for the state of dublin cycle lanes.

Also, once you put cycle lanes next to a footpath, it invariably brings cyclists and pedestrians into conflict.

If everyone showed a bit more regard and respect for other road users, accept their own vulnerability and be a bit more impatient ... then we would all be better off.
    Public policy seems to disagree with you ... and I think the Minister has it right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Personally I think that cycle tracks should be built seperate to the roadway, I see a lot of new ones being built lately that are on teh same level as the footpath, seems to be the way to go. Obviously public policy is to get cyclists off the main road and onto dedicated tracks - more of this please Minister!

Cyclists travel at speed and it's safer to be on the road then on a cycle lane which is level with a footpath.
    Because pedestrians will wander into the cycle lane either through lack of knowledge and sinage or maybe they don't care.
    Either way, it's easier to overtake (or undertake) a que of cars then avoid pedestrains.

And often cycle lanes are unusable anyway.
    Conyham (sp?) Dublin 8 (think it's Dublin 8 though Dublin north) is a wide and safe road and the cycle lane is on the footpath, it's pretty safe.

But cars park on it and NOBODY can use the footpath and pedestrians have to scramble on grass or walk on the road. :mad:
    Happens near the rowing clubs

I'll stick to the road and avoid the cycle lanes Tim Allen and if that bothers you I'd suggest one day this week you go for a cycle around your area.
    Gives you a new perspective and skills you can use for driving :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bAd

Sorry I have to disagree with the others.
    You allowed your car to run out of petrol and then proceded to block a cycle lane. Cyclists shouldn't have to expect clapped-out old bangers in their way.
    I think you would have been wise to offer to pay half the damages.

This happened to me only difference was the car was parked on the cycle lane. I requested the owner of the car pay for my doctor's fees & xray - she refused. Let's just say it ended up costing her a hell of a lot more after I threatened to sue - her insurance settled.

last warning to plug & tim allen

I've just deleted most of your silly, argumentative ping-pong ...now stop it or I will

• Advertisement

bAd wrote: »
    Sorry I have to disagree with the others.
    You allowed your car to run out of petrol and then proceded to block a cycle lane. Cyclists shouldn't have to expect clapped-out old bangers in their way.
    I think you would have been wise to offer to pay half the damages.

This happened to me only difference was the car was parked on the cycle lane. I requested the owner of the car pay for my doctor's fees & xray - she refused. Let's just say it ended up costing her a hell of a lot more after I threatened to sue - her insurance settled.
    well thankfully, most people have the common sense to realise that an idiot who cycles straight into a stationery object is completely at fault. The gardai agree and so does my insurance - where did you get "clapped out old banger" from?
    I take some degree of comfort from the simple Darwinian fact that cyclists like the one I encountered, or indeed anyone that travels without looking where they are going, will sooner or later expel themselves from the human gene pool with their own stupidity

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement