Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cyclist crashed into my car

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bAd

PeakOutput wrote: »
    +1

ye sorry bad i know you agreed with me and well now i feel....eh bad.....but the op did nothing wrong. his lack of respect for other road users(cyclists) leaves alot to be desired but the cyclist that hit the op is completely liable both from a legal and a common sense view

that's what this forum is all about. we don't have to agree with each other all the time, that would be dull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

the majority of cyclists in dublin are idiots. end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

tdc wrote: »
    the majority of cyclists in dublin people are idiots. end of.
    FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

TimAllen wrote: »
    it really baffles me to see a cyclist in a bus lans effectively holding up a full double decker with maybe 70 people on board at rush hour and a perfectly good cycle track right be side him
    To ease your bafflement. This is a sign on my bicycle commute(I drive about 40% of the time). Which am I supposed to use? The bus lane or the cycle path? Before you decide. The cycle lane is on a footpath which is always full of pedestrians and ends abruptly in the midde of nowhere. This type of inconsistency occurs at least 3 times on my route to work.
    ConfusingSigns.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Your meant to stay on the cycle lane, and mow people down. As thats the law according to some. Pedestrians have right of way, so obviously you're meant to walk. Effectively theres no cycle lane, regardless of the signage. Can pedestrians be done for jaywalking in cycle lanes?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

BostonB wrote: »
    Your meant to stay on the cycle lane, and mow people down. As thats the law according to some. Pedestrians have right of way, so obviously you're meant to walk. Effectively theres no cycle lane, regardless of the signage. Can pedestrians be done for jaywalking in cycle lanes?

Jay walking isnt a crime in Ireland.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

tdc wrote: »
    the majority of cyclists in dublin are idiots. end of.
    oh cool everyone enjoys stupid sweeping statements :rolleyes:

let me ad my stupid sweeping statement, the majority of motorists in dublin are idiots, end of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

...He claimed to have his head down and that I shouldnt have been in the lane....

What the hell.....?????

Just because he is driving in the right lane is he saying that he has no obligation whatsoever to actually watch the road.

That would be like a driver running over a cyclist and claiming in their defence...

"Well your honour, I was on the right side of the road and I wasn't breaking the speed limit so I decided not to watch the road and had a read of d'examiner instead"

I mean, what did yer man hope to do if there was another cyclist in the lane going a bit slower than him..... Was he just going to mow him over....?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ah yes it is,
    you can be fined for crossing within 30 feet amount of distance from a designated crossing point

Here's all the info on the law - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54733500&postcount=8

have fun, :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bAd

craichoe wrote: »
    Jaysus this thread is ridiculous, the cyclist was in the wrong, its just plain common sense. If you run into something because you werent looking where you were going then its your own stupid fault.

You peeps are lucky, i live where the bicycle is king and the car is third class after motorists, i have to get an extra insurance policy just to cover cyclists. Here if they ran into your stationary car and you were in a bicycle lane you would be in the wrong.

But i dont think this would be the case in Ireland at all !! :D

That's sounds like a great policy to me...which part of the world do you live in? I shall lobby my TDs....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

bAd wrote: »
    That's sounds like a great policy to me...which part of the world do you live in? I shall lobby my TDs....

The Netherlands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Halfrauds

that cyclist is a muppet tbh.

but then again the driver shouldnt have been in the cycle lane...neither should 3 year old toddlers;).

I had a puncture last week, so i stop in the middle of collins ave, the road that is and some guy in a car ran over my bike, fair nuff it was a sack of crap. he said he wasnt looking, i shouldnt be in the middle of the road and he was going to sue me, blah blah blah...onto the me not paying tax etc and somthing about doing my patriotic duty.

Im a motorist too, who pays the motor tax, high too due to having a decent classic which like pollution:D so i cycle too to offset this and because it enjoys petrol and i cant afford to run it every day:mad:

there are arseholes in cars and on bikes, in fairness though alot of cyclist are total half wits who cant even afford to service their bikes right.

just my 2c, why cant we just get along, there are assholes everywhere, deal with it:rolleyes:

as for cyclists holding people up?? ive had cars hold me up when im on a bike, and ive had cars hold me up too much when im in my car(fecking sunday driver know it alls, on thier high horses, in their sack oif ****e BMW they think is the height of motoring pleasure(honestley id rather take a BL built car, less chance of overheating).)

Ireland is run by gob****es, road design and commuting properly doesnt exist.

Cant we stop focucing hate on each other and complain to people who may actually do somthing, as oppsoed to moaning to a computerscreen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

Cabaal wrote: »
    let me ad my stupid sweeping statement, the majority of motorists in dublin are idiots, end of

agreed :pac:

Halfrauds, well said,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

My neighbours dog is a tad retarded, if he starts chasing parked cars and runs into the back of mine will I have to pay the vet's bills?

My neighbours dog is a tad retarded, if he starts chasing parked cars and runs into the back of mine will I have to pay the vet's bills?

if you park your car in his kennel then i think it would be fair tbh, and a new kennel too:p:rolleyes:

Halfrauds wrote: »
    if you park your car in his kennel then i think it would be fair tbh, and a new kennel too:p:rolleyes:

..and you get him to bite a cyclist...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

rubadub wrote: »
    e.g. illegally crossing a dual carriage way. "Look at that cyclist kunt breaking the light, oh wait, he is carrying that bike and it has a ribbon on it, maybe for his kid, he is one of US so, he's grand."

most PEOPLE are ignorant of the rules of the road.
    Cabaal wrote: »
    ah yes it is
    This is the problem, many are just oblivious, they somehow would think "jay-cycling" is illegal, but once off the bike you are fine!

My mates brother was done for jaywalking. Months later I saw a ban garda assiting (aiding and abetting?!) children to break the law in the exact spot on the N11. There is a flyover at that section, half the kids use it, half don't. I was shocked at her ignorance, they were jaywalking directly under the flyover!

BostonB wrote: »
    ..and you get him to bite a cyclist...

well now he might be retarded but im sure hed bite the gran hermano chap:pac:, the cyclist didnt bunny hop onto his kennel; now:D

fair is fair.

im sure tim allen crossed a continuous white line in oder to enter the cycle lane;), so maybe he was in the wrong to begin with?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

To ease your bafflement. This is a sign on my bicycle commute(I drive about 40% of the time). Which am I supposed to use?
    ConfusingSigns.jpg
    The particular sign in your photograph, showing a bicycle and pedestrians is not a legal road sign in Ireland. You can use the bus lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭TimAllen

well now he might be retarded but im sure hed bite the gran hermano chap:pac:, the cyclist didnt bunny hop onto his kennel; now:D

fair is fair.

im sure tim allen crossed a continuous white line in oder to enter the cycle lane;), so maybe he was in the wrong to begin with?:eek:
    Wrong. broken white line, so maybe I wasnt wrong! At least thats what the cops think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭TimAllen

The particular sign in your photograph, showing a bicycle and pedestrians is not a legal road sign in Ireland. You can use the bus lane.
    Only a complete tit would opt to use the bus lane, holding up full buses and other traffic at rush hour, with an empty cycle track running parallel ... must be a lot of tits about!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Only a complete tit would opt to use the bus lane, holding up full buses and other traffic at rush hour, with an empty cycle track running parallel ... must be a lot of tits about!

Only place I ever held up a bus was on the N4 dualer, and then I could draft behind it in excess of 50mph on occasion.

What was described above in the picture is cycle lane, where cyclists lose priority to both pedestrians and the road they were traveling on at every junction.

edit: for clarity, had I have gone into the back of the bus, I wouldn't have claimed the bus responsible.

Wrong. broken white line, so maybe I wasnt wrong! At least thats what the cops think

Okay,so in that case dear sir you were obstructing a junction, or a driveway?? either way you shouldnt have been in the cycle way.
    a broken line allows traffic to cros its, not stagnate when it crosses, its like turning right and stopping in the opposite lane.

The guards who were dealing with you are morons, when they attend the scene of a accident, they take statements, they dont decide who is right and who is wrong. If the cyclist had half a brain, hed have gotten their badge number and made a complaint.

neither of you were in the right, you were ignorant and in the wrong for obstructing a cycle lane with your car, and he was a muppet for not looking where he was going end of.

do you think its ok to park on the footpath too by anychance??:confused:

If it annoyed you so much stop being a spoofer and complaining about it here, you should have followed up the damages to your car with the cyclist. Too many threads here about people bitching about what happened with other motorists and doing nothing, then coming here and looking for justification, put up or shut up tbh. A motoring forum should be about cars, not for sombody you dont know to sympathise.

you were in the wrong. The cyclist was a idiot.

sorry mate but its true:o

The (unlawful) sign is directing cyclists to ride on the footpath, which is illegal.

so taxi drivers and the other d!ckwads who believe they are better than us sitting in the traffic jam, are all tits too?? have you never flew up a bus lane before?

also , would you rather the cyclist to use the busier road as opposed to the bus lane??

You should ride a bike, i can out pace a bus from where i live to the city centre, busses are slow because the have to stop:D not because of a cyclist.

Now cyclists without lights is somthing we can all have a nice bitch about and understand;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

Okay,so in that case dear sir you were obstructing a junction, or a driveway?? either way you shouldnt have been in the cycle way.
    a broken line allows traffic to cros its, not stagnate when it crosses, its like turning right and stopping in the opposite lane.

The guards who were dealing with you are morons, when they attend the scene of a accident, they take statements, they dont decide who is right and who is wrong. If the cyclist had half a brain, hed have gotten their badge number and made a complaint.

neither of you were in the right, you were ignorant and in the wrong for obstructing a cycle lane with your car, and he was a muppet for not looking where he was going end of.

do you think its ok to park on the footpath too by anychance??:confused:

If it annoyed you so much stop being a spoofer and complaining about it here, you should have followed up the damages to your car with the cyclist. Too many threads here about people bitching about what happened with other motorists and doing nothing, then coming here and looking for justification, put up or shut up tbh. A motoring forum should be about cars, not for sombody you dont know to sympathise.

you were in the wrong. The cyclist was a idiot.

sorry mate but its true:o

So where exactly should he have left his broken down car?

Owenw wrote: »
    That's not the issue. The issue is whether or not someone should be sanctioned for a mistake. The breakdown was preventable if the driver had exercised due care.

Based on the facts presented, nothing absolves the cyclist for his own neglect.

This is a very unusual incident, it's difficult to understand how the cyclist failed to see the car in what we're told, were ideal conditions. So ideal that, other than putting on his hazards, the driver felt there was no need to take additional safety measures.

If we don't fine people for obstruction or bad parking, we could all claim to have run out of fuel and park where we like.

• Advertisement

Owenw wrote: »

I dont know thats his problem, but from the rules of the road somplace that doesnt cause a obstruction, he obviously obstructed a bike tbh.:)
    Im sure there was a less obtrusive place like a side road.:rolleyes:

also he should have had the cop on not to run out of fuel, i never understand how people run out of fuel in a city:rolleyes:

This situation wouldnt have happened if the DRIVER had both consideration for other road users and the cop on to get petrol.

With a modern car having all the fancy alerts and lights to prevent you running out of fuel there really is no excuse, also the chances are you pass 2-3 petrol stations on a journey.

for a forum that is dedicated to cars and people who like them, there are a awful lot of people here who claim to be petrolheads, but know sweet **** all about cars, sweet **** all about the rules of the road, but yet are the very people to throw the book at sombody.
    You wouldnt have this situation in ANY othe EU country,

why?? because the motorists there have cop on, and a degree of RESPECT for other road users weather they be in a lambo gallardo or on a piece of **** MTB with no lights.

Alot of motorists here in Ireland are ignorant, arrogant, dis-respectful, greedy arseholes, who even when unlucky enough to get caught breaking the traffic codes, they squirm their way out like the worms they are, its actually sickening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement