Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cyclist crashed into my car

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

craichoe wrote: »

Total sillyness, cyclist deserves the Darwin award, the OP should remember to keep his car filled with Juice..

quote]

Most sensible post yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Halfrauds

Cionád wrote: »
    No your missing the point, it doesnt matter that the car shouldn't have been there, it could have been a fallen tree branch, or a cyclist with a puncture. He shouldn't have been cycling so fast as to be unable to stop before the obstruction.

okay so you are saying that drivers who park on footpaths, and in cycle lanes forcing people out into on coming traffic are totally in the right?

This incident, it was a preventable accident ;)

A tree branch cant walk off the cycle lane, neither can the disgraceful amount of potholes and broken glass.

A cyclist with a puncture probably would move from the cycle lane....into the road:P

sorry the rules of the road are there for a reason, you cant just do what every other person in this country doeas and just make them up:rolleyes:, according to the rules of the road the driver is WRONG, the cyclist was wrong

on account of having the most stupidity driver wins

2-1

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

When looking at an accident, I tend to look at what degree of fault each participant had, i.e. how serious each mistake was proportionally to each other.

In this case,
    Running out of fuel & pushing your car onto a cycle lane = 5% fault
    Not looking in front of you while cycling = 95% fault.

Because tbh here, in order to miss the vehicle the cyclist must have been looking anywhere except in front of him for the guts of 50m, assuming that the road was straight. At 30km/h, that would be a full 6 seconds that the cyclist spent staring at the ground.

I've taken 0.5 seconds to turn my head and look at a hot girl walking down the road and nearly ended up in accidents. It's a miracle the cyclist got as far as the OP's car without hitting anything else.

In most countries on the continent if you were caught pushing a car down the road to try and find a 'safe spot' you would get a ticket, reason being is that your brakes and power steering doesn't work, you make 'best effort' to get the car out of the flow of major traffic. .

pure bull, all cars have a failsafe brake in case of hydraulic failure, I.E handbrake:rolleyes:

Power steering, em im sure you will get by without it, my car doesnt have it and i can turn the wheel:rolleyes:
    You don't use a warning triangle on a city street, only motorway or second class roads, you place it 10 - 15 meters away from the rear of the car. .

What the hell is this about a warning triangle?? he OP didnt have one, sombody brought it up, but i never said he should have used one?
    I believe the OP in this case made best effort to do get his car out of traffic, if he pushed it down a side road he'd still be blocking traffic anyway, if he pushed it onto a kerb pedestrians may had to walk around it into traffic to get past..

my god:o you really are a irish driver:(,

yes he made his best effort to get his car out of the road, NOT out of other traffic(back to the point about ignorance towards other road users:rolleyes:)

If he put it on the path a pedestrian at 5kmph can well see a car quicker and avoid it easier than a cyclist at 30kmph:rolleyes:, so maybe the path was the SAFER option if he wanted to move it(still not correct)

Now a side road will have PARKING on it so the car can be left stationary with the hand brake on, otherwisde known as PARKING.:rolleyes:

Total sillyness, cyclist deserves the Darwin award, the OP should remember to keep his car filled with Juice..

Running out of Fuel on a Motorway in Conto Europe would have cost a fine, running out on a non motorway road would have invoked no such fine.

correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Halfrauds wrote: »
    okay so you are saying that drivers who park on footpaths, and in cycle lanes forcing people out into on coming traffic are totally in the right?

Your glossing over the difference,

Drivers who choose to park in a cycle lane, thats just being lazy/ignorant
    Drivers who break down/run out of fuel, whatever, they dont have a choice of moving the car until they get some form of assistance.

Same thing for the motorway, you don't park in the hard shoulder, its for emergency use only.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    When looking at an accident, I tend to look at what degree of fault each participant had, i.e. how serious each mistake was proportionally to each other.

In this case,
    Running out of fuel & pushing your car onto a cycle lane = 5% fault
    Not looking in front of you while cycling = 95% fault.

but if we use the US version of voting,

driver loses 2-1:D

Your glossing over the difference,

Drivers who choose to park in a cycle lane, thats just being lazy/ignorant
    Drivers who break down/run out of fuel, whatever, they dont have a choice of moving the car until they get some form of assistance.

Same thing for the motorway, you don't park in the hard shoulder, its for emergency use only.

car shouldnt be in the cycle lane, its not a hard shoulder END OF.

he should have left it on a ROAD, where he can park it, yes id have a different view if there was nowhere BUT the cycle lane, but the OP had a option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

pure bull, all cars have a failsafe brake in case of hydraulic failure, I.E handbrake:rolleyes:

Power steering, em im sure you will get by without it, my car doesnt have it and i can turn the wheel:rolleyes:

Of course you can, you'll notice i said power steering, i should have been pedantic and also mentioned power assisted brakes, have you ever tried pushing a car on your own with a dead engine, your not in full control of the vehicle at all, AND IT DOES INCUR A FINE in continental Europe
    What the hell is this about a warning triangle?? he OP didnt have one, sombody brought it up, but i never said he should have used one?

It was mentioned earlier in the thread, read back if you like.
    my god:o you really are a irish driver:(,
    Nee
    yes he made his best effort to get his car out of the road, NOT out of other traffic(back to the point about ignorance towards other road users:rolleyes:)

If he put it on the path a pedestrian at 5kmph can well see a car quicker and avoid it easier than a cyclist at 30kmph:rolleyes:, so maybe the path was the SAFER option if he wanted to move it(still not correct)

Without being He-Man he wouldn't be able to get it over the kerb onto the footpath
    Now a side road will have PARKING on it so the car can be left stationary with the hand brake on, otherwisde known as PARKING.:rolleyes:

Again, 10 meters or whatever up the road, whereby he would have to go up, leaving the car in traffic, check if there was parking, go back, release the handbrake and leave the car out of gear, then push it up there with little control over the vehicle, in most places they'd call that stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

BTW was it raining at this stage OP?? because if it was have to ever tried to look up into freezing rain while moving at 30kmph?? impossible.

If I can't see where I'm going when walking, running, cycling or driving I stop. I've been hit by a cyclist who probably wasn't even going at half that speed and I was cut and bruised like I'd been in a fight with a combine harvester.

I can't believe anyone is defending the cyclist in this case, I really can't. I am at different times, a pedestrian, a cyclist and a driver. I wouldn't defend a fellow pedestrian, cyclist or driver who does something as stupid as not looking where they are going. I can't see why anyone would. You have to be trolling to side with the cyclist in this case imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

As a commuter cyclist, and a motorist who doesn't pay "Road Tax", I'll say this: with all my regular near-death experiences, I'm at a total loss to understand how the cyclist wasn't watching where he was going.

• Advertisement

javaboy wrote: »
    If I can't see where I'm going when walking, running, cycling or driving I stop. I've been hit by a cyclist who probably wasn't even going at half that speed and I was cut and bruised like I'd been in a fight with a combine harvester.

I can't believe anyone is defending the cyclist in this case, I really can't. I am at different times, a pedestrian, a cyclist and a driver. I wouldn't defend a fellow pedestrian, cyclist or driver who does something as stupid as not looking where they are going. I can't see why anyone would. You have to be trolling to side with the cyclist in this case imo.

trolling ???what next?? flaming:D:D:D:D get the boat your gas.

just because YOU cant see what im saying it doesnt mean im trolling, people should be banned for saying crap like that, i suppose oill head over to the programming forum and call em all trolls because i dont get what they are saying AT ALL!!:D;)

for the 15th time, IM NOT DEFENDING THE CYCLIST, i dont defend idiots!

As a commuter cyclist, and a motorist who doesn't pay "Road Tax", I'll say this: with all my regular near-death experiences, I'm at a total loss to understand how the cyclist wasn't watching where he was going.

a idiotic gob****e perhaps?? or maybe he was blind, there is nothing stopping a blind man getting on a bike and blasting down o connel street:D:D:D

do you own a classic BTW?? what is it?!

Of course you can, you'll notice i said power steering, i should have been pedantic and also mentioned power assisted brakes, have you ever tried pushing a car on your own with a dead engine, your not in full control of the vehicle at all, AND IT DOES INCUR A FINE in continental Europe

It was mentioned earlier in the thread, read back if you like.

Nee

Without being He-Man he wouldn't be able to get it over the kerb onto the footpath

Again, 10 meters or whatever up the road, whereby he would have to go up, leaving the car in traffic, check if there was parking, go back, release the handbrake and leave the car out of gear, then push it up there with little control over the vehicle, in most places they'd call that stupid.

yup ive pushed a car before!! not too bad, ive pushed it up on ramps too,(with help admittedly) not too bad, once you get it going your grand, have you pushed a car?? maybe im stronger than you because i cycle everyday:p and my car is a real car, without power steering!LOL

any grown man can push a car, controllably for 10m, if they cant , they should wear tights and a skirt:D and pay e50 for a haircut:D:D

it was busy, im sure he could have gotten a hand, ive had a car stop because of water in the dizzy, i pushed it so a side street and then got it going, sombody got out of a car and helped too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

that's enough now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement