Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant 'One' Oil Burner will not spark

Options
  • 13-12-2008 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi - I have an old Grant 'One' boiler made in 1993. It always runs fine but has now sat down on me. I tried the reset button about 20 times to no avail. I took the burner out and can see that it is getting fuel. i pointed it away (its an outside boiler) and reset it again and it spins up the pump and injects the mist of oil but there is no spark. I checked the HT connections to the transformer and cleaned the insulators on the two little fingers but there is definitly no spark. The panel was only replaced last year so i don't think it's that.
    I removed the light sensor and it is clean so don't think it's that - but that does not come into play until the boiler actually lights and it can't light with no spark.
    Has anyone ever come by this problem?
    Do the transformers fail?
    What resisance should I expect to see across the primary and the secondary coils of a transformer like that?
    Can you think of any other tests I should do?
    Thanks - apw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Sound like a Minor 1 burner. The transformers did give trouble. Not many of them still running. Move the 2 electrodes very close together. You may still get enough of a spark to ignite the oil. Pull the plug out of the solenoid, so that you can see if the electrodes are sparking - without frying yourself. If you get a spark - put it back together - into the boiler and see what happens.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 apw99

Jim - Many thanks, sound advice. Good to know that the trafos do give trouble so I know I am not loosing it! When you say solenoid do you mean the connections onto the electrode insulators?
    thx, apw

apw99 wrote: »
    Jim - Many thanks, sound advice. Good to know that the trafos do give trouble so I know I am not loosing it! When you say solenoid do you mean the connections onto the electrode insulators?
    thx, apw
    No, there's a solenoid valve on the oil pump. Usually there is a small plug connecting the wiring into it. If you pull out this plug while you are checking the spark (by looking at the front of the burner), then the oil cannot ignite and burn the face off you :eek:. You may have to get the electrodes very close to each other to get a spark.
    If you cannot get it working, it might be better to get a Riello G3 instead of putting money into that burner.
    Jim.

Hi Jim, I'm with you now, I understand about the solenoid - good safety tip. I was just standing well back - and the dog!
    The burner is in a mate house up counry and I we won't be there again for a week or two. His budget is very tight so have you any idea where I can buy a trafo? Does anyone scrap these things for parts? How much do you think i might expect to pay for a trafo?
    I will try closing the gap first and see if this does the trick. i might meter out the resistance on the trafo primary and secondary also and see if either are open-circuit. If they are not OC and the gapping does not help I will have to source a trafo for him.
    Many thanks for your help - well appreciated,
    apw99:o

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭c ashelmore

Heatmerchants have them for 50 euro.They don't come with leads though so check condition of same before you order.Get model no.from trafo.Check to see if there is water leaking from say circulating pump valves onto trafo as i have found this to be a problem at times.

• Advertisement

Heatmerchants have them for 50 euro.They don't come with leads though so check condition of same before you order.Get model no.from trafo.Check to see if there is water leaking from say circulating pump valves onto trafo as i have found this to be a problem at times.

Many thanks C - i will check that too. It's ALWAYS Christmas time that the heating expires!!:confused: Cheers - apw

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

apw99 wrote: »
    . I took the burner out and can see that it is getting fuel. i pointed it away (its an outside boiler) and reset it again and it spins up the pump and injects the mist of oil but there is no spark. I checked the HT connections to the transformer and cleaned the insulators on the two little fingers but there is definitly no spark. The panel was only replaced last year so i don't think it's that.

- apw

The burner will not light outside the boiler unless there is complete darkness. the photocell senses light and if there is light it will not send a message via the control box to spark electrodes as the photocell thinks there is a flame.

Spend €8 and buy a new photocell.

It's always possible, but I don't think that the photocell is the problem. The burner is going through the cycle and even spraying oil - but it is not igniting.
    If the photocell was seeing light, the motor might spin, but the solenoid would not open. If the problem was the photocell not seeing the light, the flame would ignite, but the burner would then cut out. It's most likely the transformer.
    Jim.

Advertisement