Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lashley making MMA debut Tommorow!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Interesting....
    How long has he been training in MMA since he left WWE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Is it on TV or any stream?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,919 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Match result:
    Congrats Bobby...He won his match by TKO over Josh Franklin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Some spoiler tags mightn't go amiss calloway92. I don't particularly mind but some people might be annoyed by that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

flahavaj wrote: »
    Some spoiler tags mightn't go amiss calloway92. I don't particularly mind but some people might be annoyed by that.

Indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

New interview with Lashley in the Miami Herald about his MMA debut and possibly facing Lesner in the future:
    Ex-WWE star Lashley wins MMA debut

Photos BY RODOLFO R. ROMAN
    For The Miami Herald
    Former World Wrestling Entertainment star Bobby Lashley says a mixed martial arts bout between he and UFC champ Brock Lesnar, another former WWE star, will happen.

''I am a wrestler, and Brock is a wrestler. If [Lesnar] wants to match skills, we match skills,'' said a confident Lashley, after defeating Joshua Franklin in their MMA debuts Saturday, Dec. 13 at the American Airlines Arena in Miami.

``There is going to be a meeting between me and Brock. There will be.''

First, Lashley defeated Franklin at the inaugural Mixed Fighting Alliance event on Saturday. Lashley, who trained at American Top Team which has several locations in South Florida, needed just 41 seconds to win the match.

The card, titled There will be blood, lived up to its hype. Lashley opened a major laceration on Franklin's forehead.

Lashley impressed the crowd with his vicious punches and kicks. His wrestling skills were evident after taking some single and double leg shots.

Lesnar, who has three MMA matches under his belt, is the current UFC heavyweight champion after defeating former champ Randy Couture last month.

Lashley said there isn't much of a difference between the WWE and MMA locker rooms. ''I like the locker room in WWE,'' he said. ``You know, you have a bunch of professionals with a mindset of putting the best performance possible. This is the same thing.''

Lashley said there is no one in the MMA who could match his wrestling skills.

''I am confident of my wrestling background,'' he said.

Lashley left the building with fans cheering for more, and they will get more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Lashley impressed the crowd with his vicious punches and kicks. His wrestling skills were evident after taking some single and double leg shots.

Did that reporter see the fight? Lashley didn't go for any kicks and he got one single leg takedown :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

the match wasnt that good was it?

im NOT an expert on MMA by any standard, but jesus, there was essentially one move in that match??

the match wasnt that good was it?

im NOT an expert on MMA by any standard, but jesus, there was essentially one move in that match??

It was stopped before it got going. Cuts can be caused by hard strikes or just by grazing the stitching in a glove, I don't think there's anyone who likes to see fights end like that

• Advertisement

yeah,

its just i read the press release above, the review like, haha was expecting better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Fozzy wrote: »
    It was stopped before it got going. Cuts can be caused by hard strikes or just by grazing the stitching in a glove, I don't think there's anyone who likes to see fights end like that

Yeah, that first Couture/Belfort fight.

I thought Lashley looked fairly impressive in that few seconds he was fighting.

Was this the reason that he left WWE does anyone know? Or think?

Edit: *searches* ah yes, WWE and him came to terms and he said shortly after that he was training for MMA

yeah, did he leave willingly or was he let go? cos id imagine hed be the type of comodity they would want to keep their hands on? main event standard guy like.

Lashley quit "due to circumstances out of his control" according to him. It seems to be partly because of Kristal being released and partly because of WWE not helping him much while he was injured, going by what he's said since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I don't think WWE can stop guys going to MMA anyway, primarily due to the fact that UFC is governed by the Nevada S.A.C, while WWE isn't. Brock tried to sue Vince McMahon several times over his getout clause (which went nowhere as Brock knew he was signing a ten year deal about a year before he wanted out), and after American Football wasn't a success, he started training for MMA.

Vince couldn't do a damn thing about it.

MMA isn't considered a "rival promotion" which is pretty much what's stated in the getout clause i think. So anyone has free reign if they have the ability to hack it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭a-hole

did lashley not do a shoot match in japan (where he was big before wwe) and it was a disaster lasted about 30s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Who the F does Lashley think he is talking about a fight with Brock?

He done nothing in that fight to warrent any talk of a serious MMA career.

a-hole wrote: »
    did lashley not do a shoot match in japan (where he was big before wwe) and it was a disaster lasted about 30s

Lashley was never big in Japan, I doubt he's ever been there outside of wrestling for WWE. Must be someone else you're thinking of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

dancor wrote: »
    Who the F does Lashley think he is talking about a fight with Brock?

He done nothing in that fight to warrent any talk of a serious MMA career.

What did Brock do to warrant a title shot against Couture?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

2 million buys in 3 fights totalling less than 5 minutes. Dana White's no fool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

He destroyed Heath Herring in emphatic fashion for a start! Herring is a veteran on MMA with a vast amount of experience having fought against and beaten some of the top fighters in the world and Lesnar absolutely dominated him for 3 whole rounds (that's 15 minutes of unanswered ass kicking)!

Lashley on the other hand won a fight that lasted what about a minute? against a fighter who was also making his MMA debut on a cut stopage. Fair enough, in that minute Lashley got in a few solid punches and hit an impressive single leg takedown, but Hardly enough to start talking about fighting the UFC Heavyweight champion!!

I'll give Lashley credit for hyping himself up by talking about fighting Brock but still, steady on Bobby!!

Even in amatuer wrestling, Lesnar would have been in a different league to Lashley.
    a-hole wrote:

Eh no. You must be thinking of somebody else. Bob Sapp perhaps? He looks a bit like Lashley but i wouldnt call any of his MMA fights a disaster - exept maybe that fight were Cro Cop literally broke him in half!

Advertisement