Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

defensive or passive guy?

Options
  • 13-12-2008 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭

hi ladies,
    just wondering which do ye prefer in an OH,
    a guy who'll defend you and not let people treat you badly,
    or
    a passive guy who doesn't get bothered by it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

A good balance of the two, tbh. A guy who will let ya stand your own ground but will step in if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I'm attracted to the idea of a guy who will defend me because my family is extremely passive and it's always been left up to me to defend myself in those situations. But I also know that guys who are defensive can take it too far, so it's a fine line to walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

never been with a defensive guy but as a defensive gf i'd probably like it. had bfs bitch and say in private what they would have said but they never would (all talk). or that guy that would hide beside me when knackers/gangy youths would walk up against us.

sometimes i just want someone who can stick up for me or be protective. i've always been the one to look out for those around me if trouble was abrewing, i'd like the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Jules wrote: »
    A good balance of the two, tbh. A guy who will let ya stand your own ground but will step in if needs be.

exactly :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I find the majority of guys will be defensive the wrong way, in that they get pissed off for themselves, as opposed to for their girlfriends.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

In the middle is the only way to go. I'd prefer to handle any situation were I am being treated I'm being treated badly, but I would be pissed off if he acted like he didn't give a crap.

I find overly passive men are very unattractive, having a few ex's that acted that way turned me off it completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

Jules wrote: »
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

When you say defensive do you mean the kind of guy who sticks up for their woman when she's being slagged off or the kind of guy who yells "Oi, did you look at my bird!?" *Headbutt*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Galvasean wrote: »
    When you say defensive do you mean the kind of guy who sticks up for their woman when she's being slagged off or the kind of guy who yells "Oi, did you look at my bird!?" *Headbutt*

i mean the first one. thats just what i'd need jesus i already bust up fights at work an if i had a bf like the latter i'd be doing that after work too.

walk over bfs suck. but so do crazy "i'm going to kill you for looking at her" guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Personally i generally let people handle their own situations unless i get the impression they want or need help. Either way i generally keep an eye on it so i can jump into the situation if needs be or something changes.

That said if i'm with someone who i know wouldn't stand up for themselves i'd be more likely to intervene and of course the opposite is also true. Basically what i'm saying is that it depends :p

A woman who can take care of herself but isn't afraid to ask for or accept help are very attractive imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Defensive, definitely. Guys who are too passive are big turn off for me. Having said that, there's a fine line between 'defensive' and 'overly-aggressive psycho'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

I dunno, good question! I can't think of too many instances where I've needed a guy to defend me. And when I would, I usually do it for myself. I'd like a guy who's doesn't get worked up over stupid stuff but who can hold his own when forced...if that makes sense.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Dragan wrote: »
    I find the majority of guys will be defensive the wrong way, in that they get pissed off for themselves, as opposed to for their girlfriends.
    Bingo.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Is it wrong to expect a grown woman to be able to stand up for herself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

FruitLover wrote: »

Not at all.

Although, part of being in a relationship is looking out for each other.

However, along with the 'insult my girlf = insult to my possession = insult to my manhood' men who are a little too violent for my tastes, there are women who will stir up things on purpose in order to get their OH to sort it out. I'm not sure if they're insecure, and want him to prove his love by decking someone, or if they're just bat crazy manipulative.

Of course not, but some people, male and female, might need a bit of a hand with certain situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

yeah, i was just wondering because recently my gf and i were at a party, she was drunk, i was not,
    and this total player guy we know was all feeling her up and whatnot......

so i was just like, eh sorry....

and now he's afraid of me :P:P

Not at all, but for example: A few years back, I was stalked and sexually assaulted by a man. When I told my brother, he response was, "Oh. That sucks." And he went on with what he was doing. That reaction was mirrored by the rest of my family members.
    Now, I'm not saying I would want someone who was ready to go out and hunt the guy down. But a little concern, a little support would have gone a long way in helping me to feel that I wasn't fighting that battle alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

Not at all, but for example: A few years back, I was stalked and sexually assaulted by a man. When I told my brother, he response was, "Oh. That sucks." And he went on with what he was doing. That reaction was mirrored by the rest of my family members.
    Now, I'm not saying I would want someone who was ready to go out and hunt the guy down. But a little concern, a little support would have gone a long way in helping me to feel that I wasn't fighting that battle alone.

That's absolutely terrible. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Jesus Christ, that's just awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Jesus....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

eh, thats got very little to do with passive/defensive guys...that sounds more like a very serious problem in the relationship between yourself and your family...

anyway....

i've had the shoe on the other foot in my younger days, a very defensive (red haired) girlfriend who always butted in the i often had to leave the argument just to get her the fook out of there becuase she was going to get me a good beating with her gobbiness...bullet dodged there:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

Thats a lack of loving concern, not defensiveness. I do hope you're doing alright now though.

Well, there's certainly more to do with it than simply defensive/passive guys. The point I was getting at though is that I was raised in a very passive, very unprotective family. It doesn't mean I can't stand up for myself; on the contrary, I learned from a very young age that no one was going to step up to the plate on my behalf: not my parents, not my brother, not anyone. So the idea of a man who's a little protective has always appealed to me. I think a certain amount of protectiveness from both sides is helpful in a couple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

Well, there's certainly more to do with it than simply defensive/passive guys. The point I was getting at though is that I was raised in a very passive, very unprotective family. It doesn't mean I can't stand up for myself; on the contrary, I learned from a very young age that no one was going to step up to the plate on my behalf: not my parents, not my brother, not anyone. So the idea of a man who's a little protective has always appealed to me. I think a certain amount of protectiveness from both sides is helpful in a couple.

I agree both partners should look after each other, thats what its all about really. Emotionally and physically, singly and as a couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

It'd depend on the situation, if she was in danger physically obviously I'd get involved. If it was words being exchanged and she could handle herself I'd leave it to herself unless of course a guy made a remark about her ie. slut, whore.

I think the majority of even the most hardened women will require the need of a defensive guy at some point in their lives whether they be family, friends or their bf/husband. Ideally this wouldn't be necessary but there's a lot of idiots/potentially harmful people out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Nuravictus

nothing wrong with it if its getting out of hand but how would you feel in your boyfriend stepped in & got beaten to a pulp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

metalfest wrote: »
    hi ladies,
    just wondering which do ye prefer in an OH,
    a guy who'll defend you and not let people treat you badly,
    or
    a passive guy who doesn't get bothered by it?

The more I think about your question is the more i realise that the first man who managed to convince a woman that she needed the protection of a man was a marketing genius. Women more frequently need protection from men rather than the protection of men.

I'd tend not to intervene unless there's a clear risk of physical danger. Most of the women I know tend to be very feisty and perfectly capable of handling most situations.

Gyalist wrote: »
    Most of the women I know tend to be very feisty and perfectly capable of handling most situations.

I see this bandied about quite a bit but the simple truth of the matter is that most PEOPLE are not mentally or physically equipped to deal with a decently scary physical confrontation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Gyalist wrote: »
    The more I think about your question is the more i realise that the first man who managed to convince a woman that she needed the protection of a man was a marketing genius. Women more frequently need protection from men rather than the protection of men.

I'm sorry but that's just a load of crap! It goes both ways!

Advertisement