Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why am I getting warnings & being banned?

Options
  • 13-12-2008 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

I'm sorry did I miss something. I thought the aim of sites like these was so people could have an opportunity to voice their opinions and vent their frustrations (within reason), so tell me this, why after calling a guy a mug for not paying car tax when the rest of the country has to did I get a public post from a mod telling me to be careful. After replying to this post by asking if any of the mods have brains and asking what the problem was I get banned for 2 days......

why
    why
    why
    why
    why
    why
    why
    ?
    ?
    ?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I'm sorry did I miss something. I thought the aim of sites like these was so people could have an opportunity to voice their opinions and vent their frustrations (within reason), so tell me this, why after calling a guy a mug for not paying car tax when the rest of the country has to did I get a public post from a mod telling me to be careful. After replying to this post by asking if any of the mods have brains and asking what the problem was I get banned for 2 days......

The parts highlighted in bold are the reasons for your ban.
    When you get back in, read the forum charter with regards to reasonable behavior on this site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Thor's Hammered

Beruthiel wrote: »
    The parts highlighted in bold are the reasons for your ban.
    When you get back in, read the forum charter with regards to reasonable behavior on this site.

no I'm sorry, there were far worse things said in that thread, I believe this is a case of a moderator who can't take criticism.

I'm beginning to wonder if any of ye can, this site seems to empower mods to a ridiculous level, whilst cutting the balls off of your normal posters.

where's the freedom of expression? I tone my manner down when posting, I realise that not everybody has the sames sense of humour, forwardness, cheekiness etc, but I tolerate them, they should tolerate me and others as long as we keep it within reason.

So???

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

an opportunity to voice their opinions and vent their frustrations (within reason)
    Within reason, exactly. The thing is that your definition of within reason is different to the mod's definition. Consider it criticism in the form of privilege removal. You can take criticism can't you?

no I'm sorry, there were far worse things said in that thread

Did you report them so they could be looked at by a mod?
    I believe this is a case of a moderator who can't take criticism.

Doing that in thread is against the rules in a lot of forums.
    I'm beginning to wonder if any of ye can, this site seems to empower mods to a ridiculous level

That comment does not help you, it is not possible that you know all 400+ mods and their behavior. You will need to give examples of what you mean.
    where's the freedom of expression?

Freedom of expression only goes so far on this site, as long as you are reasonable and courteous there should be no problem.

First off I don't want to report them, I was only pointing out that there were worse posts in that thread, and ina list of people to ban I should have been down the list.....

Secondly, it was the mod who posted a public message quoting me and warning me to be careful. A private msg I would have taken on the chin, but as he posted publicly I replied publicly. Give as good as you get etc....

Thirdly, you don't agree that the mods have some extreme banning powers? Perhaps not the fault of the mods, perhaps the system could be better, for example maybe a user may only be banned from a section of the site after having 3 msgs posted by them deleted. Perhaps a mandatory ban of one week, then one month, two months and so on. But even if that system was in place I still don't believe I should have been banned, as the msg wasn't worthy of deletion. And of course I don't know all the 400+ mods on the site, but here';s one for ya, I was banned by Terry, and only a few threads down from this one there is a thread from a user who was banned by terry for 6 months. What are the odds.......

And I agree with you about keeping things reasonable and courteous, but in fairness I was in the After Hours section, is the name misleading me???

• Advertisement

Gordon wrote: »
    Within reason, exactly. The thing is that your definition of within reason is different to the mod's definition. Consider it criticism in the form of privilege removal. You can take criticism can't you?

It's not privilege removal Gordon, its a ban, a ban means I can't post in a section where the only thing to be done is post!!!! I can take criticism all day long mate, I cant take receiving a ban for this. It's bull man, in a fair system there's somewhere I should be able to put a mark against Terry's name, or any mod who I believe has overreacted with a resulting ban.

First off I don't want to report them, I was only pointing out that there were worse posts in that thread

A mod cannot read every single comment in their forum, they rely on members reporting comments against the charter. If there were worse comments and you did not report them, then they could have been missed.
    Secondly, it was the mod who posted a public message quoting me and warning me to be careful.

That is the normal way we do things on this site. It serves two purposes, your comment is warned and others know what line shouldn't be crossed.
    A private msg I would have taken on the chin, but as he posted publicly I replied publicly. Give as good as you get etc....

I'm afraid if you continue with that attitude, then your time on boards will continue in this vain.

Advertisement