Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M. Econ. Sci graduates

• 13-12-2008 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I recently graduated with a first in corporate law from NUIG and now I'm doing the Economic Masters in NUIG. I was wondering what sort of jobs or companies I should apply for for next year? What have other people with economic masters gone on to do?

Comments

Its normally the case where you pick the job you want, and then do masters to further that... not the other way around...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Its normally the case where you pick the job you want, and then do masters to further that... not the other way around...
    That's not true at all, really. In years gone by people with good degrees and masters in economics picked the company they wanted to work for.

Anu, it's going to be a very tight labour market this year. Any interest in a PhD?

I'll reprhase that. You wouldn't start an economics masters unless you were sure that you wanted to make a living that involved economics. I didn't mean that you started a MSc as you wanted to work for IBM Global research.

Since you chose the degree, you must have some idea about what you want to do - be it research, policy or academia. Only you can really answer the question you set, as we don't know what you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Anu

Yes obviously I want to study economics. I enjoy the subject. However, it's very difficult to find out which companies should be applied to, and I was wondering what other people have gone on to do since it's quite broad. It's not like there's a host of companies with graduate programmes like accountancy. Anyway the question was also what other people have gone on to do? What do you do zaraba? That would have been more helpful than the comments you left.

I wouldn't mind doing a phd. I definitely want to do one at some stage. What funding is available for that? I know about the Walsh funding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

For PhD funding you really need to be looking at the IRCHSS funding (website here), I really cannot stress that enough--and I'm surprised no one in your department has iterated that to you. Graduates tend to go onto further education, PhD & post-doctoral work, or get a job with somewhere like the ESRI, the Central Bank of Ireland, Department of Finance, any research institute you can think of, health care companies as health economists, et cetera. There is no specific path for everyone, it depends on where your interests really are. Some don't go into direct "economics" jobs, rather start at positions in banking and such (obviously that's been limited over the last 18 months).

You could look internationally for PhD options. The Fulbright awards for studying in the U.S. have actually closed their applications for 2009-2010 as far as I know. Their website is here:
    http://www.fulbright.ie/

Although it's only December, if you were planning to go to somewhere like the U.S., to a highly ranked graduate program, you would need to have already sat a GRE. Give it some thought over the next week or so, and decide where your interests really are; then proceed forward. That's what I would do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement