Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help to choose a University...UCD r UCC

Options
  • 13-12-2008 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭

Hey. Looking for some advice here.

Entering uni next year and I'm stuck between two universities, UCD and UCC.

Basically the prob with UCD is that I'm from Dublin, but the north side. My sis goes UCD but says that travelling over every morning is a pain (about 1hr and 30min).Also class sizes are huge so its hard to make mates and cause I line far away I'd miss all the social eevents and all that sh1t. Can't get accomodation as it goes by distance from colledge.

UCC would be great as I'd get a place run buy students council (vic Lodge r whatever) and only be 10 min away but the course structure isn't as flexible as UCD (want to do science) but don't really mind that fact. But would need to get a job for food and stuff. Mam will help up to crimbo but can't rely on her cause thats unfair obviously.

Anyone who's left home advice would be great.

What you think I should do?? Also, can you tell me how big are classes in UCC (biological and chemical science is what I want to do) ??

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

ucc or ucd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

What you think I should do?? Also, can you tell me how big are classes in UCC (biological and chemical science is what I want to do) ??

No idea about the rest, but first year classes can be quite big for biochem, easily 100 people, but you do your labs in little groups, found it easy to make friends. Then from 2nd year half of your lectures are in small classes (40-50 people) so v.easy to make friends. Plus societies are the key to making lots of friends, my classmates were sound, by my society friends are my friends for life.

taram wrote: »
    No idea about the rest, but first year classes can be quite big for biochem, easily 100 people, but you do your labs in little groups, found it easy to make friends. Then from 2nd year half of your lectures are in small classes (40-50 people) so v.easy to make friends. Plus societies are the key to making lots of friends, my classmates were sound, by my society friends are my friends for life.

How close is the university to Cork City.

Also can you tell me the pros and cons of Cork City....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

The university is a 10 minute walk to the main city centre but it is only about a 5 minute walk to Barrack Street which has a load of pubs and t'is a good, cheap area to go out. Accommodation in private housing can be significantly cheaper than in the student buildings, however for first years it is probably better to live in student accommodation if only to make friends and to be around other first years. Biochem has a new building now, well will do so from next year. Looks a pretty nifty state of the art building so I imagine that the quality of equipment and apparatus that you will have access to will be as modern as you can find in Ireland.

D-Generate wrote: »
    The university is a 10 minute walk to the main city centre but it is only about a 5 minute walk to Barrack Street which has a load of pubs and t'is a good, cheap area to go out. Accommodation in private housing can be significantly cheaper than in the student buildings, however for first years it is probably better to live in student accommodation if only to make friends and to be around other first years. Biochem has a new building now, well will do so from next year. Looks a pretty nifty state of the art building so I imagine that the quality of equipment and apparatus that you will have access to will be as modern as you can find in Ireland.

Alrite thanks D-Generate

• Advertisement
Advertisement