Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need someone to fit bulbs in an A4 BY TOMORROW!!

Options
  • 13-12-2008 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Righto lads, I'm in a bit (a lot) of a pickle. I have my NCT tomorrow (Sunday) afternoon at 3 and I need to get two bulbs (front dip and rear light) fitted before then, I bought the bulbs today and asked the lad in the auto parts shop if he would give me a hand to put them in and he informed me that I would need a mechanic to do it (I thought I could do it myself, turns out its a lot more complicated than it was in my old Citroen!), he directed me to a couple in the area but they were all closed... so now I'm fuct!

So if anybody knows anybody who might be able to help me out please PM me!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

djdeclan wrote: »
    Righto lads, I'm in a bit (a lot) of a pickle. I have my NCT tomorrow (Sunday) afternoon at 3 and I need to get two bulbs (front dip and rear light) fitted before then, I bought the bulbs today and asked the lad in the auto parts shop if he would give me a hand to put them in and he informed me that I would need a mechanic to do it (I thought I could do it myself, turns out its a lot more complicated than it was in my old Citroen!), he directed me to a couple in the area but they were all closed... so now I'm fuct!

No big deal if this is all you fail for. There is no charge for a retest for these items.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭cps_goodbuy

too far to help out buddy but try online for instructions on how to do it, don't fret though, the worst would be that the car fails on those and you return the next day to 30days for the nct pass (if you know what i mean)

You'd do this in 30 seconds with your eyes closed, just get up early and give it a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I passed my DOE with dead lights, had the new ones on the passenger seat and told them I didn't have time to fit them, which is true :pac:

Darragh if you're familiar with the Ops particular car (I'm not) your comment I feel is fine, but if you're not may I add that there are cars out there that actually require the bumper to be removed! (not saying this is true for any model of audi)

I feel it is pretty common that if you have a new car and unfamiliar with how to do certain maintenance (especially if you're not a car nut :) ) that you'd prefer to have a knowledable helping hand
    Darragh29 wrote: »
    You'd do this in 30 seconds with your eyes closed, just get up early and give it a shot.

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »
    I passed my DOE with dead lights, had the new ones on the passenger seat and told them I didn't have time to fit them, which is true :pac:

Now thats an idea! Especially if you get a friendly guy, still at worst its just a second trip and another few min wait for them to see the light

Darragh if you're familiar with the Ops particular car (I'm not) your comment I feel is fine, but if you're not may I add that there are cars out there that actually require the bumper to be removed! (not saying this is true for any model of audi)

I feel it is pretty common that if you have a new car and unfamiliar with how to do certain maintenance (especially if you're not a car nut :) ) that you'd prefer to have a knowledable helping hand

There are cars out there that you have to take the bumper off to change a bulb but the OP's car isn't one of them. The guy in the shop was probably just playing it safe, it's not a difficult task...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Here's how to do the rear bulb change, I hope it's the model you have. I haven't found anything for the front lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

OP PM ME. I will take you through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭djdeclan

Lads thanks a million for all the help, I'm just home from work (oh the glamorous life of a nightclub jock) so I'll leave it till the morning to have a go at it..
    That video is brilliant, I should be able to get the rear one done no problem.. the front one looks a lot more complex so i'll probably leave that to a professional. I didn't realise that they don't charge for a full retest for lighting failure so I'm a lot less worried now.

Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

if i was near you i would fit the front bulb no probs, come on guys help the man out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

djdeclan wrote: »

Sorry dude but you will fail and have to pay 27.50 for a retest if you dont replace the front one,as they will not be able to test your Headlight focuing if the bulb is gone.This involves useing there equipment so they charge a retest fee.And headlight focusing is one of the to three fail items.
    Haveing said that though they are so inconsistent you never know....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

at least someone is switched on today!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Well OP did she pass? Say it passed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Hal1 wrote: »

Thanks for providing that link Hal - I changed a couple of bulbs on my own Audi at lunchtime! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

And Citroens are supposed to be hard to maintain - you need a MECHANIC to change the bulbs on an A4 ? Really ????? Not being sarcastic just :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

Hal1 wrote: »

Must not have passed,and he couldnt handle it R.I.P.

Advertisement