Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypothyroidism and me

Options
  • 13-12-2008 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hey all, while i know its not a serious condition or anything i thought this might be the most fitting place.

was diagnosed with hypothyroid a few months ago, about 6-7 at a guess and i have been doing alright with it, feeling alot better since i got on eltroxin however lately i feel like im starting to lag again, feeling really tired and just generally out of energy, wondering if its something that would eventually happen anyways or should i take to my doctor, cheers for the help in advance.

edit: should also mention that about a month after starting on my meds i started losing weight....rapidly but since i have ragained about 2 stone.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Have you Hashimoto's? How did you swing to rapid weight loss while hypo? What did your doc say about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Korasa

indeed hashimotos is the name he gave it, and as for the weight loss and subsequent gain, one of the reasons i went to the doctors was because i had gained a pile of weight thats when he gave me my diagnosis and i guess the weight loss could have come from the fact that i eat pretty healthy now as opposed to then when my meds were normalized. my doctor said it was something that could happen and wasent too worried after i told him of my diet. just kinda wondering of lags like this happen or should i go get some bloods taken.
    Cheers for the reply.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The weight loss could also have been from the Hashimoto's swinging you to hyper, but unless your doc ordered bloods while you were losing, no one knows.

What dose of Eltroxin were you started on and what dose are you on now?

Started off on 50 and am now on 150mcg a day. made an appointment to see him but the earliest i could get was thursday. just in case i have swung into hyper i would want to be aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Hi Korasa,

just wondering how you go on with your Doctor appointment?
    Can I ask you how your hashis was diagnosed? Was it through bloods or symptoms?

• Advertisement

I got on alright at the doctors and have had a further appointment requested at my hospital as for how i was diagnosed basically i started getting pretty weary for a few weeks along with a bit of depression and weight gain which i found odd cus i am a generally healthy enough person, he suggested that i might have hypothyroidism and took bloods to confirm.

Advertisement