Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2: Rock stars or washed up old guys?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Dave5 wrote: »
    You've got that one the wrong way round. U2 are the Irish band who paved the way for other succesful Irish bands.

What successful Irish bands?
    There's been none in the last decade unless you count The Thrills and The Script.
    U2 are an '80s band who should have been put of their misery 15 years ago.
    We need new talent not the same boring old overrated farts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

when politicians stop answering their on stage phone calls, then it’s over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Nolanger wrote: »
    What successful Irish bands?
    There's been none in the last decade unless you count The Thrills and The Script.
    U2 are an '80s band who should have been put of their misery 15 years ago.
    We need new talent not the same boring old overrated farts.
    The Cranberries were pretty successful in their time. Bell X 1 are doing pretty well, have been touring the US (not easy to break that market). Even got a slot on Letterman!
    the Corrs had and maybe still have to some degree a good career.
    We could claim Snow patrol but to be honest they are Northern Ireland and Scotland, neither of which are in this country :D
    At least U2 formed here even if half of them are not Irish.
    Thin Lizzy???

OK not all this last decade of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

I am an insanely massive u2 fan but i must admit that ever since pop ( Gone is one of the best songs ever) they haven't been top of their game. I am really looking forward to the possible gigs next year and the new material

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I am an insanely massive u2 fan but i must admit that ever since pop ( Gone is one of the best songs ever) they haven't been top of their game. I am really looking forward to the possible gigs next year and the new material

You reading this, Xavi6? ;)
    Most of us won't deny that they haven't been theirselves since then. We can't! The proof is in the pudding really. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    You reading this, Xavi6? ;)
    Most of us won't deny that they haven't been theirselves since then. We can't! The proof is in the pudding really. :)

What does this have to do with Xavi6? ( curiosity did kill the cat :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

U2 need to bring out another Achtung Baby- then they'll be decent again.
    Love that album.

What does this have to do with Xavi6? ( curiosity did kill the cat :P)

He changed his name recently. ;)

tech77 wrote: »
    U2 need to bring out another Achtung Baby- then they'll be decent again.
    Love that album.

That will never happen though, you know it, everyone knows it, and more importantly, they know it.

Which is why it hasn't even been contemplated, never mind tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I <3 GuanYin wrote: »
    Been shite since 1991 1978
    Fixed it for you.

There were a lot better bands around in the late 70's. I think the only reason U2 broke out at the time was because they had looks, a lot of attitude, weren't particularly heavy drinkers/druggers, worked hard and had Paul McGuinness working for them.

I like the way they seem to be constantly re-inventing themselves. I remember thinking to myself "where else can they go?" in 1984 after the Joshua Tree album.

The essence of their latter success is their ability to pull a 'Bowie' by tapping into the tropes of the zeitgeist de jour, repackaging it, and selling it back to us in a way that makes us believe that they taught of it first.

Sadly, there's nothing sadder in this world than watching middle-aged white-men jiggle it on a stage. God bless 'em.

• Advertisement

The only reason U2 broke out was because they did well in the States initially whereas better British bands of the time couldn't be bothered.

The only reason U2 broke out was because they did well in the States initially whereas better British bands of the time couldn't be bothered.

Hah! Like Who? ABC? Duran Duran? Spandau Ballet?
    Where are they all now?

Dig up, kid. UP!

Fixed it for you.

I like the way they seem to be constantly re-inventing themselves. I remember thinking to myself "where else can they go?" in 1984 after the Joshua Tree album.

Given how you think that The Joshua Tree was before 1986, I don't think you're in any position to fix anything, pal! :)

Anyone else think in 2018 we'll still have U2 going strong and no other commercially successful rock bands?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

And can i ask what was the last Rolling Stones album you actually listened to, Bubs? Or have you listened to any at all? Because unless you've actually have, you (or anyone else) really are in no position to accuse a band if they are washed up or not. Voodoo Lounge, Bridges To Babylon and A Bigger Bang were all solid albums for a band that have been going in a studio since 1964!

McCartney however, i will agree with you on. Sad to see as well really. But it was all downhill from the frog chorus onwards, although Flowers In The Dirt is one of my guilty pleasures.

flowers in the dirt a guilty pleasure?!?!? :eek: it's a fine album on its own merits. he'd finally learned what people wanted of him and tried to supply it. No bagpipes, and no fookin' frogs. The last few haven't been bad either, but his problem, along with the Stones, along with U2, Oasis...any of the behemoth bands is that quite frankly once you 'make it' you lose the hunger. You're surrounded by people who aren't objective about what you do and it gets a bit ego-trippy.

I think myself Achtung Baby was U2s highpoint; it was futuristic, it was trippy, it had a tour that pretty much re-defined spectacle. After that, i'm not saying they went downhill, but they certainly took their foot off the gas. They can still write brilliant anthems, Bono can still sing his heart out, they're not a bad band and they still put on a good show, but they're *not* IMHO hitting the highmark they did back in '91.

It happens all bands. Not so much where it's a solo artist, but inevitably in a band, the creative juices will *tend* to dry up in the latter stages of the career. That's not to say that U2s 'weak' work wouldn't still piss all over 95% of the musical landfill we're getting now anyway, but it's still, kinda like Viz magazine, not as good as it used be!

Anyone else think in 2018 we'll still have U2 going strong and no other commercially successful rock bands?

Sure, because we've had that problem since 1978, haven't we?
    Seriously, when you come out of cryogenic suspension, then maybe, just maybe some of your posts might be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Given how you think that The Joshua Tree was before 1986, I don't think you're in any position to fix anything, pal! :)
    Sorry, I meant The Unforgettable Fire.

Listen, I'm 39 and have done more recreational drugs than you've had skinny lattès. It has long term effects on the memory. Cut me some slack dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Wales? Are you serious? Wales haven't given us anything since the 80s. Catatonia, Most of the Stereophonics albums and Space can f*ck right off if you ask me.

Space aren’t Welsh

Sorry, I meant The Unforgettable Fire.

Listen, I'm 39 and have done more recreational drugs than you've had skinny lattès. It has long term effects on the memory. Cut me some slack dude.

Yeah, well I'm 33 in a couple of weeks, so i'm not far behind you. Drugs might explain but they don't excuse.

And don't patronise me with the skinny latte comment, i'm a mocha man and proud of it! :P

D-FENS wrote: »
    Space aren’t Welsh

Sh*t, you're right, they were scousers weren't they?
    I stand corrected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Sadly, there's nothing sadder in this world than watching middle-aged white-men jiggle it on a stage. God bless 'em.

What does their race have to do with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

this is kinda a propos of nothing, but just for the record, here's a few middle aged black guys jiggling on stage and it's anything but sad. It's joyful...

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jackhammer

Here's another opportunity to see if U2 have lost their edge:D

"U2 have announced that their new album will be released at the end of February.

The album will be called No Line on the Horizon and will go on sale in Ireland on February 27th.

The recording is their 12th studio album and was originally expected to be released this year."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

Fixed it for you.

There were a lot better bands around in the late 70's. I think the only reason U2 broke out at the time was because they had looks, a lot of attitude, weren't particularly heavy drinkers/druggers, worked hard and had Paul McGuinness working for them.

You have got to be kidding.They were ugly kids!
    There might have been better bands in the late 70's but the 87-93 period is what made them special.A lot of great songs written in that period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

I think what annoys people most is the fact that U2 (Bono in particular) consistantly potray themselves as clean cut do-gooders. Also, because Bono is so popular, alot of musicians around the country have adopted his mannerisms and behaviour, Its a bit annoying really.

Another thing, Bono dismisses all criticism as 'begrudgery'; Yes there is alot of this (begrudgery) out there, but that doesn't mean Bono cannot be criticised. Its as though he's become a god-like figure and if anyone says even the slightest thing against him they are cut-down as fast possible; both by Bono and his disciples.

Bono has said some really dumb stuff in the past, I also believe that his strong religious conviction has made it difficult for people to listen to him for long, perhaps because it brings them back to a time in this country when men with strong religious convictions went about telling everybody what to do, how they were saving Africa and it was made worse by the fact that nobody dared criticise them.

By the way, I don't think having strong religious convictions is a bad or a good thing- but it can make people uncomfortable in certain circumstances.

He probably does mean well, but I think years of being worshipped by lots of fans has meant that he doesn't live in the real world anymore and so just doesn't understand why people get fed up with him. In a way its not his fault.

ZakAttak wrote: »
    Bono has said some really dumb stuff in the past

He once said his favourite movie was Koyaanisqatsi but he pronounced it Koyakinski. Trying to appear smart but not quite pulling it off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Not a huge U2 fan but they are definitely not washed up. Pop, All That You Can't Leave Behind and How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb all have some excellent songs (Gone, Kite, All Because Of You to name just one from each album)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

[ultra-right-on/PC-mode]Yeah and what does age and gender have to do with it[/ultra-right-on/PC-mode].

(He also said "middle-aged" and "men").

Bloody discriminatory selective PC :rolleyes: :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Bren_M.Records

But was put back because Island Records told them to go and write some decent songs!

jackhammer wrote: »
    The recording is their 12th studio album and was originally expected to be released this year."

Gonna be interesting to see if they still have it or if the anthems have finally dried up.
    My guess is there'll be one genuine hit on the album along with another two artificial hits simply because most dj's are scared ****less not to play U2 records when they come out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I <3 GuanYin wrote: »
    It's funny how U2 fans are too stubborn to admit that their productivity has gone steadily downhill since the release of the failed abortion that was the 'Pop' album.

POP is an awesome album...

Advertisement