Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mullingar: A rant

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Why is Athlone a shíthole? Its a lovely town, every foregn visitor i bring there loves it. Does it turn into a ****hole at night maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭richiepoorman

Thanks for all your replies, didn,t mean for it to be a Mullingar v Athlone thing at all, but your replies made me chuckle.

A fine example of what i was originally talking about was the recent annoucement that the proposed local bus service (due to begin in Sept) in Mullingar has been put on hold again, due to a legal issue ????

The reason why i wanted Supermacs, Burger King....etc was to give people a choice (all be it, crap food) and it,s Irish owned.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭richiepoorman

This was in the Westmeath Examiner this week, I have agree totally with the editorial as it confirms what my OP was about.

http://www.westmeathexaminer.ie/news/comment/articles/2009/09/02/390770-a-long-list-of-lost-opportunities/

Comments welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭mandz

Some of the things that my friends and family were saying they would like to see for Mullingar are: local public transport, trainline opened to Athlone, CCTV for the town centre and a Supermacs (a personal fave!). Seriously though, what's happened to the local bus route thats being talked about? When is that going to see the light of day?.

Eh, Mullingar does have CCTV have you not spotted the cameras around the town? I think it also made the front page of the Topic/Examiner.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 fryer99

All the businesses in the centre of town object to any new development that will bring people out of the town. There was planning in for a SuperQuinn and KFC in Lakepoint Park but there was objections from the big dogs on committees who all have businesses in town...

The Centre in Blackhall has not gone ahead because it was part of the planning that there needed to be a certain amount of apartments included and as everyone knows, the bottom has fallen out of the residential sector. Because of this, the contractor would lose money building apartments that would not sell, hence they have not proceeded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 hgeogheg

Bowling alley to open on the Lynn rd by December. Will have kiddies play area, coffee shop, parking etc so its not all doom and gloom. Cant wait!! We definitely neet a college as well. Look at the crowds of 3rd level students that flock to Moate every day. Would be a ghost town during the college year if it wasnt for them. Bus loads of students leaving mullingar every day. But with colleges and students you get demand for micey d's, supermacs & KFC. Unless the local eateries start doing specials to make themselves more competitive. Anyway thats my tuppence worth. Roll on December!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 carstupid

This might come across as a bit of a rant, but bear with me. Recently I have been discussing with friends and family what has been happening locally regarding Mullingar in relation to other towns in the Midlands and was wondering if anyone else feels the same way?.

Why does it seem to take so long for anything to be done in Mullingar, for example: the Central Shopping development, the new proposed leisure facilities at Robinstown, the new stores for Fairgreen centre, retail units at the Lynn Road site etc, etc....

I can appreciate that most of the above are Retail based, and also appreciate that we are in a recesssion, but I feel that Mullingar missed the boat, so to speak, in terms of jobs and opportunities during the boom years.

It seems that the town doesn't have anyone in the public domain, be it TD's, local councilors or local businees community that are fighting its corner.

Some of the things that my friends and family were saying they would like to see for Mullingar are: local public transport, trainline opened to Athlone, CCTV for the town centre and a Supermacs (a personal fave!). Seriously though, what's happened to the local bus route thats being talked about? When is that going to see the light of day?.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing your replies......:)
    All you have said is correct but one group of people you did not mention is the landlords in the town. The rents in town are so over priced and even now rents are not coming down they would rather sit on a property empty than lower the rent.

Advertisement