Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideologies, philosophies and beliefs that are deemed to be above critique ?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I can freely admit that it hasn't effected me much at all however it did effect my neighbour who for years suffered hell in an abusive marriage because of the Catholic ban on divorce and the stigma it would have brought on her and her family. This ban on divorce is still supported by the Doctrine for the Congregation of the Faith. How they can justify it in such circumstamces I don't know.

The very fact that this institution exists at all shows the Catholic Church's intolerance of any questioning of their dogmas.

Individual Catholics may ignore its pronouncements but this does not change the institutional intolerance to questioning and criticism that exists within the church.

It sounds like you are unable to distinguish between a body having rules and something being deemed beyond question.

I am not a Catholic, but I understand that Catholics have the right to question their Church's policy regarding divorce, and to lobby for change. How on earth do you equate that to being beyond criticism etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

PDN wrote: »
    It sounds like you are unable to distinguish between a body having rules and something being deemed beyond question.

In fairness, they are very seperate issues.

Religious institutions are obviously intolerant of any questioning or criticism. That is to be expected.

The original point I made though was that society in general seems to have deemed that religion is off limits in terms of criticism. We may criticise politics, ideologies but religion should be tipped toed around.

Take Mike Bloomberg's (NY Mayor) reluctance to condemn an outdated and disturbing form of circumcision performed by Orthadox Jews in New York. In any other situation, this practice would have caused outrage and even led to arrests................... but because it was linked to religion, nobody wanted to go near the issue, at least not publically.

An act of religious madness was allowed to continue simply because it was religious.

Advertisement