Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra controls in the "quick reply" box ?

Options
  • 14-12-2008 2:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭

Hello, I've seen on another VBulletin forum I use that they've got [img][/img]
    [colour] and a spell check in their quick reply box . It's quite handy . They also have it in their edit box too. Any plans for it to be added to boards' quick reply boxes ?

quick_reply.jpg

Slightly different from my main point but they also have a preview pic of an attached image. I thought that was a good little feature

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

No, please no. It's a nice quick reply.. don't want it bloated!

Please make this optional if you implement it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

4 or 5 extra buttons is hardly bloated :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

4 or 5 extra buttons is hardly bloated :confused:
    Any more buttons would really annoy me. I think it's design is too big as it is anyway !

Is this dead/shot down then ? Or may I post a thread in Feedback to see what people think ? That forum seems to get a wider audience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

No need for it. If you don't know the tags then use the standard reply function. There really aren't that many tags. There's no reason not to just learn them and type them

• Advertisement

Any more interest in this? The quick reply PMs have them little few extra buttons. Adding them to the quick edit and/or quick reply post wouldn't be that much of a big change would it :)

quick_reply_2.jpg

Spell checker in the quick reply box would be deadly :)

No need for it at all. Learn the BB tags.

Firefox has a spellchecker built in I believe.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Spellchecker would probably put more strain on the server than needed. So I wouldn't bother with that especially given the built in spell checker in firefox. The bbcode tags would be handy without adding additional strain on the servers so would make a good addition.

Sean_K wrote: »
    No need for it at all. Learn the BB tags.

Firefox has a spellchecker built in I believe.

I'm not being smart but Boards is expanding, lotsa new users, lotsa people who've no idea what a Dos screen is (including me), lotsa people that don't even know ctrl shortcuts and of course lotsa people that don't know BB tags :)
    I can't see any info on this site actually for these shortcuts.

I found a few by accident :
    Ctrl+b =Bold ; Ctrl+i=Italic ; Ctrl+U =[ underline/U]

• Advertisement

I'm not being smart but Boards is expanding, lotsa new users, lotsa people who've no idea what a Dos screen is (including me), lotsa people that don't even know ctrl shortcuts and of course lotsa people that don't know BB tags :)
    I can't see any info on this site actually for these shortcuts.

I found a few by accident :
    Ctrl+b =Bold ; Ctrl+i=Italic ; Ctrl+U =[ underline/U]

So let them use the standard reply page. They'll learn them quick enough. Quick Reply is for a quick reply.

Frankly I think the last thing anyone wants to see is the overuse of these functions and have it turn into a clone of MSN with rainbow text and a million emoticons.

The Ctrl shortcuts are standard in almost all word-processors.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Will try turning this on since I don't really know why it would be off.

It's just the standard formatting buttons.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement