Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Safety on our roads

Options
  • 14-12-2008 10:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

I think all motorists should have a safety kit in their vehicles
    this should contain a warning triangle, high vis jacket, first aid kit, fire extinguisher and a torch
    this kit would be cheap enough to buy, even tesco stock such items
    what do ye guys think,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

What are we, French?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

a bit of a waste. safety is already so overdone in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

towel401 wrote: »
    a bit of a waste. safety is already so overdone in this country.
    About sums it up, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

ok here is an example of when some of the kit would be handy
    you are driving on an unlit road late at night when a tyre blows, its the rear tyre on drivers side
    its also raining and though its late the road is busy
    you get the spare out and begin the job of wheel changing
    two cars are are coming towards you, both traveling in opposite directions
    both are semi blinded by the others lights
    neither can see you until almost upon you
    as the car on far side passes you he flicks a fag butt out the window which goes down the back of your jeans and burns the craic off you
    you jump up and almost get cleaned off by the car approacing on your side,
    warning triangle would of alerted the car on your side that there is danger ahead
    high vis jacket would of alerted both drivers to your presence
    torch would of aided you to see what your doing
    fire extinguisher will put out the fire in your ass
    first aid kit will help releive the pain

• Advertisement

JackFrosty wrote: »
    ok here is an example of when some of the kit would be handy
    you are driving on an unlit road late at night when a tyre blows, its the rear tyre on drivers side
    its also raining and though its late the road is busy
    you get the spare out and begin the job of wheel changing
    two cars are are coming towards you, both traveling in opposite directions
    both are semi blinded by the others lights
    neither can see you until almost upon you
    as the car on far side passes you he flicks a fag butt out the window which goes down the back of your jeans and burns the craic off you
    you jump up and almost get cleaned off by the car approacing on your side,
    warning triangle would of alerted the car on your side that there is danger ahead
    high vis jacket would of alerted both drivers to your presence
    torch would of aided you to see what your doing
    fire extinguisher will put out the fire in your ass
    first aid kit will help releive the pain

highly unlikely. i think mandatory cordless angle grinders in cars would be a better idea

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

There's no reason why motorists shouldn't have these things in the car. A full kit will cost you less than a full tank. But just make spare bulbs mandatory too, far too many one eye cars around.

so far i seem to on my own with my thoughts, i am amazed no one thinks of their own safety in the event of a breakdown
    now the angle grinder in a car whats that about????
    tell me more

so far i seem to on my own with my thoughts, i am amazed no one thinks of their own safety in the event of a breakdown
    now the angle grinder in a car whats that about????
    tell me more

well say someone crashes into you and you cant get out you use the angle grinder to cut your way out. but thats not what most of them will end up being used for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

cormie wrote: »
    There's no reason why motorists shouldn't have these things in the car. A full kit will cost you less than a full tank. But just make spare bulbs mandatory too, far too many one eye cars around.

I really don't think many motorists in this country would be capable of changing a bulb in their car.

You would also be unlikely to pull over at nightime when it blows to change it

• Advertisement

jimbo78 wrote: »
    You would also be unlikely to pull over at nightime when it blows to change it

Why do you say this? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

cormie wrote: »
    Why do you say this? :)

Would you?

so you do what? drive it on the flat, surely your not serious if you are your gonna have serious problems if it happens to you

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

so you do what? drive it on the flat, surely your not serious if you are your gonna have serious problems if it happens to you
    ?? He's talking about a bulb blowing, not a tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I actually don't think a lot of people in this country could change a tyre safely, never mind bulbs.

But the safety kit would be a good idea. A decent sized bar of chocolate and a bottle of water too.

jimbo78 wrote: »
    Would you?

If I wasn't going to be home in 5 minutes and had changed the bulb before and knew what to do I probably would. But it'd be dangerous to pull over unless I had my warning triangle and it'd be a bit silly to do it in the dark, so then I could use my handy torch :p

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭BrokenSpiral

Yes I agree everyone should hav ea safety kit in their car at all times.

All of my cars have always had a dull first aid kit, triangle, torch, emergency hammer (within reach of the driver) etc.

As for the bulbs, I think it shoudl be points for anyone driving with one headlight!!
    And don't even think about saying something stupid like "most people have no idea they have a bulb gone" because a lot of modern cars will tell you if a bulb is gone and it's not hard to check your bulbs every so often and as for headlights, the instant you put them on you know if they are both working or not!

As for pulling over, bulbs VERY rarely blow while in use, it's almost always turning them on or off and you'd most likely be stopped at that point so could change it and if not then find somewhere safe and spend 2 mins chaning the bulb!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Don't you now have to carry a viz vest in your car anyway? Surely thats all thats needed! Most people now have some form of emergency cover such as AA as a subscription or if given with a new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

su_dios wrote: »
    Don't you now have to carry a viz vest in your car anyway? Surely thats all thats needed! Most people now have some form of emergency cover such as AA as a subscription or if given with a new car.

My car is nearly 8 years old, I think any comp roadside has long expired.

I have a warning triangle, spare bulb kit, wind up torch, hi vis and tow rope. All cost less than €50, the warning triangle was €4.99 in Tesco, I left the old one in the car I traded in. Don't have jump leads, which I probably should, but my dad's are in the boot at the moment.

A space blanket is probably a good idea, but a lot of people could do more damage than repair with a first aid kit.

It should be a points offence to be unable to change a bulb on the spot if pulled over. Berty would definitely be able to assist anyone in the provision of bulbs:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I think all motorists should have a safety kit in their vehicles
    this should contain a warning triangle, high vis jacket, first aid kit, fire extinguisher and a torch
    this kit would be cheap enough to buy, even tesco stock such items
    what do ye guys think,

Have all said items in my car. Picked a set in LIDL...The High Viz, Tow Rope, Triangle, Gloves was 8 euro or something to that effect! Extinguisher is in the boot as well it was a KIDD one for 12quid LIDL/ALDI and had a mounting bracket for the boot.

I've used the triangle when my alternator died and lack of no hazards lights on a dar road didn't help! etc

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote: »

It should be a points offence to be unable to change a bulb on the spot if pulled over. Berty would definitely be able to assist anyone in the provision of bulbs:pac::pac:

I'd disagree with you on the basis that some cars its a 120euro labour to change the bulbs! :eek:

I'd disagree with you on the basis that some cars its a 120euro labour to change the bulbs! :eek:

Surely it can't be that complicated. I know it can take 15-20 minutes on some cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Surely it can't be that complicated. I know it can take 15-20 minutes on some cars.

Ah, Audi A4's. You have to remove the front bumper, then remove the headlamp unit to change the front indicator bulb. The other bulbs are easy to get at with only having to remove the air intake on the drivers side.

The drivers handbook says "bring it to your dealership".

Berty wrote: »
    The drivers handbook says "bring it to your dealership".
    :eek::eek:

FFS

Friends Reanult Megane I couldn't change the bulb as my hands weren't child size and thats going in thorugh the arch! And we were a good while trying he managed to fithis (smaller) hand in and change it. ****in annoying becasue I can change my primeras bulb in under a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

I always carry a warning triangle, first aid box (both are supplied with my car), spare bulbs (8 euro in lidl there is no excuse of having one blown at that price) in the center console of the car a LED torch. In most countries in the contenient its manditory that you have some of these items in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

It can be next to impossible! Have had both a Rover 75 and Mazda6 - extremely difficult with non-dwarf sized hands! And that's before you get to cars where the bumper has to come off....

although the Wagon R driver I came across the other day was taking the piss - one headlight and no rear lights!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Ever since I had a puncture on an unlit section of the M4, pregant Wife and young child on board and plenty of cars and trucks flying past, I keep meaning to put a Torch, Hi-vis vest / jacket and warning Triangle in the car. Pain in the arse trying to change a wheel using a mobile phone for light to try and find the lock nut.

Feck it, I have a few bits, I will buy the rest before the week is out. For both cars as well..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I've two kits in my car - First Aid and then my little emergency one, which has:

Warning triangle
    Jump leads
    Tow-rope
    Gloves
    Mini-maglite
    High-viz vest

I keep meaning to stick a 5 litre jerry-can of diesel in there too.

• Advertisement

What's the sceal with carrying a little can of diesel in the van anyway? I hear they say don't store in the plastic ones but the metal ones are ok for storing it, but you shouldn't keep it in the vehicle or something?

Advertisement