Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Safety on our roads

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ninty9er wrote: »
    Surely it can't be that complicated. I know it can take 15-20 minutes on some cars.
    Refitting one the bulbs on my 206 takes the patience of a saint and the limbs of a contortionist. Took me nearly an hour the first time. The other's a little easier I can do it in about five minutes. I also wouldn't have a hope of doing it in the dark. The last thing I'm going to do if a bulb blows on a road at night is pull over and replace it. :)

Tbh, this is one of these things that I'm complacent about because I spend so little time outside of the city and I've never actually been unfortunate enough to have a puncture on the side of the road. I did have a fiat which broke down on the M50, and no safety kit would have been any use to me that day. I still had to walk down the M50 (there was no mobile phone coverage at the M50/N4 junction at that time!), up the N4 on-ramp and to the nearest garage.

I also wouldn't be mad about having it bouncing about my boot. There's nowhere in my boot to attach anything and keep it stuck down :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

cormie wrote: »
    What's the sceal with carrying a little can of diesel in the van anyway? I hear they say don't store in the plastic ones but the metal ones are ok for storing it, but you shouldn't keep it in the vehicle or something?

AFAIK diesel is OK in plastic or steel, but you can't carry petrol. But has anyone every been done in this country for carrying petrol in a plastic can in the boot, and if it is illegal how are they still allowed sell then to people at petrol stations driving cars?

But if your in a crash 5l of either won't be too nice flying around and potentially going on fire. Would it not be easier to keep the van full then having a potential fire bomb in the back of the van? And you do know that the 1st time you use it it won't be refilled and so defeats the purpose of carrying it:D
    JackFrosty wrote: »
    ok here is an example of when some of the kit would be handy
    you are driving on an unlit road late at night when a tyre blows, its the rear tyre on drivers side
    its also raining and though its late the road is busy
    you get the spare out and begin the job of wheel changing
    two cars are are coming towards you, both traveling in opposite directions
    both are semi blinded by the others lights
    neither can see you until almost upon you
    as the car on far side passes you he flicks a fag butt out the window which goes down the back of your jeans and burns the craic off you
    you jump up and almost get cleaned off by the car approacing on your side,
    warning triangle would of alerted the car on your side that there is danger ahead
    high vis jacket would of alerted both drivers to your presence
    torch would of aided you to see what your doing
    fire extinguisher will put out the fire in your ass
    first aid kit will help releive the pain

If that happens you keep driving till you can get to a place where you can change your tyre safely. All the high viz and triangles won't save you if you stop in a dangerous place, much better to damage a wheel then get run over.

But yeah they all should be carried in cars. I heard rumours that a high viz was going to be part of the NCT, no idea why it isn't in yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Del2005 wrote: »
    But if your in a crash 5l of either won't be too nice flying around and potentially going on fire. Would it not be easier to keep the van full then having a potential fire bomb in the back of the van?

Your full tank is also a "potential fire bomb" by that logic.

Diesel isn't half as flammable as petrol either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

JackFrosty wrote: »
    I think all motorists should have a safety kit in their vehicles
    this should contain a warning triangle, high vis jacket, first aid kit, fire extinguisher and a torch
    this kit would be cheap enough to buy, even tesco stock such items
    what do ye guys think,

I have all that bar the fire extinguister. think it was about 15 yoyos all in in Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Your full tank is also a "potential fire bomb" by that logic.

Yes but a fuel tank in a car is designed to reduce that risk a hell of a lot more than a jerry can.

Have the triangle with the car but want to get the hi-vis/torch/tow rope/first aid when I see them in aldi or lidl.

• Advertisement
Advertisement