Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I think it's finally happening...

• 14-12-2008 10:46am

Okay people, I need help and opinions (useful ones!)

I think my beloved X-Box might be approaching the RROD. :eek: :(

Okay so a night or two ago, I was playing Fable 2 when I had to leave the game paused for a couple of minutes.

When I got back, I un-paused the game, and no sooner than I started playing the game it froze!

Ok, I didn't panic. I turned the console off (console button, the joypad's weren't working). Waited a few minutes, then turned it on again. This time it didn't get past the initial loading phase before it froze.

So I turned it off again. And on again. The second time it loaded properly, but froze in when the OS had loaded. Turned it off again.

Busy the last day or two, so I didn't have it on. Turned it on a few minutes ago, it loaded no problem.

So I start playing Fable 2 again. After a minute or so I notice a "glitch" in the screen as I was playing (almost like a frame rate thing).

Another minute or so and the glitch became worse and worse, until finally, the inevitable happened and the console froze. :mad:

So people, am I approaching RROD time? I've had the X-Box about a year and a half.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

It could very well be the case - frequent freezes/glitches are a common indicator. Mine died about a month ago during Gears of War 2 and there were noticeable frame rate drops during certain parts but it never outright froze. Eventually, I turned it on one morning after a lengthy session the day before and it was firmly RRODd... It took just over a week to get it replaced by Microsoft, but I'd be a bit apprehensive about trying to get it replaced so close to Christmas...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

have you tried a different game?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Just tried playing Oblivion now.

It worked fine, no sign of the same glitch / freezing!

Is it possible that it's just Fable 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

try a different game like Oblivion as you said then if that works fine without turing the console off put in Fable.If you get the errors again then it must be that.Look for any scratches on it.Strange bout the OS not starting up though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Soby wrote: »
    try a different game like Oblivion as you said then if that works fine without turing the console off put in Fable.If you get the errors again then it must be that.Look for any scratches on it.Strange bout the OS not starting up though.

I would blame the OS thing on the NXE..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Okay people, I need help and opinions (useful ones!)

I think my beloved X-Box might be approaching the RROD. :eek: :(

Okay so a night or two ago, I was playing Fable 2 when I had to leave the game paused for a couple of minutes.

When I got back, I un-paused the game, and no sooner than I started playing the game it froze!

Ok, I didn't panic. I turned the console off (console button, the joypad's weren't working). Waited a few minutes, then turned it on again. This time it didn't get past the initial loading phase before it froze.

So I turned it off again. And on again. The second time it loaded properly, but froze in when the OS had loaded. Turned it off again.

Busy the last day or two, so I didn't have it on. Turned it on a few minutes ago, it loaded no problem.

So I start playing Fable 2 again. After a minute or so I notice a "glitch" in the screen as I was playing (almost like a frame rate thing).

Another minute or so and the glitch became worse and worse, until finally, the inevitable happened and the console froze. :mad:

So people, am I approaching RROD time? I've had the X-Box about a year and a half.

A Year and a Half!! wow you are long overdue for a rrod ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

yes you are. It is inevitable. I am on my third 360 and it too is on its way to a RROD.

Ah people, say it ain't so!!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Yep, I'm pretty convinced it's inevitable... Mine lasted a good two years and then eventually bit the big one about a month ago. The ironic thing is that I bought it with Gears of War bundled and it died right after I completed Gears of War 2 :)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

try clearing your 360's cache. If you don't know how google it. Its a combo of a few buttons on the pad. Can't remember which.
    Might help you frame rate issue. But does sound like the start of the end. If your not under warranty. When it goes try the x clamp fix. If still under warranty send it back for repair. Write M/S a letter at the same time, complain that you got your son a load of new xbox games for Christmas blah blah blah, you ruined my sons xmas blah blah blah. (basically bull sh1t them) Never know might get a few free bees or something.

• Advertisement

ROC1977 wrote: »
    Write M/S a letter at the same time, complain that you got your son a load of new xbox games for Christmas blah blah blah, you ruined my sons xmas blah blah blah. (basically bull sh1t them) Never know might get a few free bees or something.

... Genius! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Just tried playing Oblivion now.

It worked fine, no sign of the same glitch / freezing!

Is it possible that it's just Fable 2?

Try loading fable 2 on to the harddrive after clearing the cache. Should reduce the operating temperature of the console and possibly allow the game to run smoother. Worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Damo 236

Normally when ur approaching the RROD tiny black dots appear on ur screen or cant hear people if ur in a chat etc etc

Well folks,
    Thanks for all your help, it was very much appreciated.

However, I have some sad news.

Today at 19:15, Druss Rua's X-Box RROD'ed just as he began to play Fallout 3.
    He is survived by his owner, Druss, and Druss's wife, Mrs. Rua.

16/06/07 - 21/12/08.
    R.I.P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Damo 236

Well folks,
    Thanks for all your help, it was very much appreciated.

However, I have some sad news.

Today at 19:15, Druss Rua's X-Box RROD'ed just as he began to play Fallout 3.
    He is survived by his owner, Druss, and Druss's wife, Mrs. Rua.

16/06/07 - 21/12/08.
    R.I.P
    Epic epic post :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

Rip Druss Rua's X-Box 360 :(

Bill Gates isn't quite God yet but he can have it resurrected within two weeks or so, instead of three days :p
    Bummer it happened just before Christmas too!!! My sympathies go out to you and your family... although I'm sure your wife will be delighted about how much extra quality time you can spend with her since you won't be on the xbox constantly :rolleyes:

Bill Gates isn't quite God yet but he can have it resurrected within two weeks or so, instead of three days :p
    Bummer it happened just before Christmas too!!! My sympathies go out to you and your family... although I'm sure your wife will be delighted about how much extra quality time you can spend with her since you won't be on the xbox constantly :rolleyes:

Funnily enough, I never had a problem with my X Box up to a few weeks ago, when my wife "discovered" Viva Pinata.

And now this.

I'm not blaming my wife (or indeed Viva Pinata), I'm just saying...! :D

Similar to my experience, the girlfriend moved in and within a month my 360 died!!!
    So, just to make sure, I repaired that one and bought two more... if she did have anything to do with it, she's sorry now! Ever since, Monday night is games night for my mates to come over and play till the early hours of the morning :D Oh happy days....

Advertisement